What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge Cup 2007 *Quarterfinals*

deluded pom?

Coach
Predictable and easy choice of games. Widnes were hot favourites and were well and truly turned over. Justine had obviously done his homework.

bartman

Immortal
The weeks come around quickly now...

Challenge Cup Round Five

Salford City Reds V Huddersfield Giants
Fri 11 May ko: 20:00, Venue: The Willows
Salford 10 - Huddersfield 36

St. Helens V Rochdale Hornets (NL1)
Fri 11 May ko: 20:00, Venue: Knowsley Road
St Helens 70 - Rochdale 10

Leeds Rhinos V Wigan Warriors
Sat 12 May ko: 14:45, Venue: Carnegie Stadium
** Televised BBC ***
Leeds 18 - Wigan 22

Whitehaven (NL1) V Catalans Dragons
Sun 13 May ko: 15:00, Venue: Recreation Ground
Whitehaven 14 - Catalans 24

Warrington Wolves V Barrow Raiders (NL2)
Sun 13 May ko: 15:00, Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium
Warrington 48 - Barrow 16

Hull FC V Sheffield Eagles (NL1)
Sun 13 May ko: 15:15, Venue: Kingston Communications Stadium
Hull FC 44 - Sheffield 6

Oldham (NL2) V Harlequins
Sun 13 May ko: 12:30, Venue: Sedgely Park (time/venue change at Oldham's request)
Oldham 6 - Harlequins 66

Wakefield Wildcats V Bradford Bulls
Sun 13 May ko: 14:00, Venue: Belle Vue Stadium
** Televised BBC ***
Wakefield 4 - Bradford 14

bartman

Immortal
Just quietly, even though as a general rule I tend to dislike players that turn to Union for the money, Chris Ashton has got some real talent. With the GB/England fullback spot pretty open behind Paul Wellens, he could have had a good future in league if he stayed around for the challenges ahead. Playing well today v Leeds, and showed glimpses last week v St Helens.

bartman

Immortal
Brent Webb is a gifted player though. He should be a walk in for any NZ test side that's not rendered impossible due to timetabling.

deluded pom?

Coach
Pitiful attendance at Leeds. 9,000 and bits. Is the CC losing it's pull with the punters or is it the scheduling of the game on a Saturday afternoon to blame? Even the tv excuse doesn't wash. This game should easily attract 15,000+ tv or no tv.

jed

First Grade
bartman said:
Leeds Rhinos V Wigan Warriors
Sat 12 May ko: 14:45, Venue: Carnegie Stadium
** Televised BBC ***
Leeds 18 - Wigan 22
Surprised the ref didn't declare Leeds the winners still at the end of the game :p

fanatique

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
Pitiful attendance at Leeds. 9,000 and bits. Is the CC losing it's pull with the punters or is it the scheduling of the game on a Saturday afternoon to blame? Even the tv excuse doesn't wash. This game should easily attract 15,000+ tv or no tv.

The cup is definitely losing its appeal. The attendances at Saints adn Salford were woeful as well compared to SL attendances

19 years ago in 1988 Leeeds V Wigan attracted over 25,000 to a last 16 match. As recently as 1999 the fixture got 18,000. These are the 2 powerhouses of English RL both attracting home average attendances of about 17,000 in SL this year and with 28 Challenge cup wins between them ( Wigan 17, leeds 11). TV or no TV that game should attract at least 16 to 18K. Shocking.

bartman

Immortal
I don't know what it is with Cup games, maybe it's fatigue? Fans of both clubs that went down to Cardiff may have wanted a week off, also since these cup ties aren't included in season tickets even those loyal fans have to make the additional choice whether to go or not. Sometimes through the season family and other commitments might scream harder than an extra game that is also televised?

Wet day at Wakey in today's TV clash. Looks like and OK enough crowd for Belle Vue though.

bartman

Immortal
Round Five Results in so far:

Salford 10 - Huddersfield 36
St Helens 70 - Rochdale 10
Leeds 18 - Wigan 22
Oldham 6 - Harlequins 66
Wakefield 4 - Bradford 14
Whitehaven 14 - Catalans Dragons 24
Warrington Wolves 48 - Barrow Raiders 16
Hull FC 44 - Sheffield Eagles 6

Quarterfinalists:

Huddersfield
St Helens
Wigan
Harlequins
Bradford
Catalans
Warrington
Hull FC

Draw on Tuesday afternoon, quarterfinals to be played 8-10 June.

jed

First Grade
Almost thought that Sheffield might have gotten there this time, oh well. No fairy-tale story like last year with a non-SL side going close.

deluded pom?

Coach
jed said:
Almost thought that Sheffield might have gotten there this time, oh well. No fairy-tale story like last year with a non-SL side going close.

Get real jed. Hull are in a poor spell but were never in danger of losing to Sheffield.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I noticed there were only 4,500 at the Hull-Sheffield match. Obviously the CC is seen as only secondary in importance to the league. 9K for Leeds as well. I thought the CC was a very prestigeous trophy?

jed

First Grade
deluded pom? said:
Get real jed. Hull are in a poor spell but were never in danger of losing to Sheffield.
:lol:

Sorry, that was meant to be very tongue in cheek.

I passed comment on another forum that I'd bet the house on Rochdale, thought this time I'd go for something in the realms of possibility :p

Evil Homer

Staff member
S.S.T.I.D said:
I noticed there were only 4,500 at the Hull-Sheffield match. Obviously the CC is seen as only secondary in importance to the league. 9K for Leeds as well. I thought the CC was a very prestigeous trophy?
It is, but the earlier rounds are never well supported.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Quarter-final draw June 9-10

Home team first:

Wigan v Harlequins

St Helens v Warrington

Hull FC v Catalans Dragons

Bradford v Huddersfield

Les Catalans did not get a a home game. But they did draw the weakest possible opposition, on form, Hull FC. Jamal Fakir should be back playing by then. Both Les Catalans and Harlequins can conceivably win through to the semis.

bartman

Immortal
Cheers Albert.

Shame Catalans didn't draw a home game at this level.

The final two matches there should be the closest contests in my opinion, although Wigan can turn in the occasional shocker. Will be interesting to see which of these the BBC televise as daytime games - Sunday afternoon suits Hull FC's usual home kick-off times, someone will have to break habit for a Saturday afternoon slot.