What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge cup games for French clubs

Looking at the other SL scores, Les Catalans doesn't look that impressive.

Interesting, in the same round last year Catalans also played Fev - beat them 70 - 12 that time.

From the report on the RFL site sounds like they made hard work of it this time round:

http://www.therfl.co.uk/challengecup/news_item.php?id=10301

Dragons fired up

Catalans Dragons shrugged off the speculation surrounding the future of coach Mick Potter to overcome Featherstone Rovers 22-12 in the fourth round of the Carnegie Challenge Cup.

Potter is set to decide as early as next week whether or not he will remain with the side he coached to last year’s final or become Daniel Anderson’s replacement at St Helens - the coach and team that beat him at Wembley eight months ago.

Regardless of what his decision might be, his current side made sure of their place in Tuesday’s fifth-round draw after seeing off a spirited performance from Co-operative National League One side Rovers.

The Post Office Road side - coached by 1983 Lance Todd Trophy winner David Hobbs - have come a long way since being beaten 70-12 by the same opposition at the same stage a year ago and, had prop Stuart Dickens converted their tries, a shock could have been on the cards.

Despite the win, the engage Super League high-flyers were made to toil hard throughout and found themselves behind at one stage before a flurry of three quick first-half tries eased their worries.

The home side had done well to soak up some strong early running from their visitors and hung on long enough to allow Tommy Haughey to break through and feed Waine Pryce for his eighth try of the season with 16 minutes gone.

The Catalans soon hit back though, as Justin Murphy edged over following a pass from Vincent Duport, who then grabbed a brace of tries himself to make his side comfortable at the break.

The first came off a neat Adam Mogg pass and the second after some strong running from Dane Carlaw overpowered the Featherstone defence. Thomas Bosc kicked two of the three conversions from the touchline.

Bosc’s form in Catalans’ unbeaten run, which now stands at seven games, has been superb and it was the class of his half-back partnership with Mogg that began to swing the game in Catalans’ favour.

To their credit, though, Featherstone began the second period in fine style and scored two tries in the half, albeit with a score from Mogg in between, to spark thoughts of a comeback.

Former Leeds centre Andy Kirk was the first to slip in, as he picked up the ball after a slick break and kick ahead from Andy Kain left the Catalans’ defence exposed.

Duport then scythed his way down the right to hand Mogg a walk-in try, before Featherstone roared back again with Pryce’s second try.

Tommy Saxton - a winner with Hull FC in 2005 - had already gone close twice with some neat work from the hooker position, before Kain and Kirk combined again to send ex-Castleford Tigers winger Pryce diving over in the corner.

Dickens failed to convert for a third time before Bosc slotted a penalty to ease the visitors’ nerves and see them home.

marv

Juniors
I got up to the Lezignan v Whithaven game on friday. Even without 3 key players you came away from the game feeling FCL were their own worst enemies, penalty after stupid penalty given away. I counted at least 10. Most for poor disipline or tackling technique.

Mr Cologni finding his way to the sin-bin (surprise surprise) after an altercation following a 'haven try didnt help either, he was followed by Rovira in the second half for professional foul, I'm led to belive.

After giving themselves an extra 60+ tackles to work through they decided to make it harder for themselves by getting 2 lads sent to the bin, it was truly the most frustrating time i have ever watched a french outfit (which as a regular supporter of the french sides in CC is up against big competition)

It was a shame as they threatend the line often enough but every time the final ball was a let down, with too much reliance on the scrum half. the only consolation came for the absolutley tireless Chris Beattie.

Haven made their chances count and their 3/4 were a lot bigger and stronger. Whitehaven also dominated around the ruck in the second half, what with Beattie having a spell and some of the other forwards looking like they could do with one!
I did see breif flashes of what FCL could/can do, mainly when they had managed to keep thirteen players on the field. Maybe their mind was on the play-offs and prospective grand final.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
That Toulouse score is extremely disappointing to say the least. But I do agree with The Tank.

And I was surpised that Lezignan didn't put up more of a fight against Whitehaven. My more optimistic thought that the Championship Elite is more of National League 1 level is dashed.

Latest posts