What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change the competition

Weels

Juniors
There has been a lot of talk about expansion lately, but not much about how that expansion should be handled.
How many teams?,
Locations of those teams?
How to structure the new competition to accommodate those teams?

My thoughts are;
20 teams.
New teams; Perth, Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane, Central Coast, Wellington NZ.
Remove: Sharks,

Season consists of a full round where every team plays all others once.
Origin is played free of other games being played that weekend.
Anzac test is played AFTER the Origin Series.

All clubs MUST play 3 teams, Pres Cup, Reserve Grade, 1st Grade.
If after a couple of seasons we find the changes have worked well, we should have the capabilities to add 2 more teams if the interest is there.

What are your opinion ?

innsaneink

Referee
gallopcup7.jpg

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
Worst idea i have ever heard! Scrap the 20s comp!!!! What?? If anything it should be changed to U/21s keeping the younger guys in the game longer giving them more time to develop physically for 1st grade

New teams; Perth, Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane, Central Coast, Wellington NZ.
Remove: Sharks,

What?? Where are the payers coming from. As it stands with 16 teams, one injury to a key player and a team is in a lot of trouble. Case in point - Broncos, Hodges.

Expansion is on the cards. But i think we will be lucky to have another team added in the next ten years. All of the existing clubs have to be financially stable for another to be added.

ozjet1

whats with the constant calls to expand the comp to 20 teams? the nation has 21m population............just over half know what the game rugby league is.............and prolly halve that again to come up with the number of people who actually actively follow the game (and that's not even adjusting for the % of these that actually attends games).

the majority of clubs as it is still rely on grants from alcoholics and gamblers, or funds injections from 'white knights' just to breakeven. clubs still arent able to cover their own operations.

16 teams is the absolute maximum IMO. any more dilutes the product and reduces the dividend available to each club. any teams in new locations require a relocation or culling of others.

Fui!!!

Juniors
I reckon all Sydney teams should merge into 1 mega team.

Then we need a 200K seat stadium that we would sell out every week.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
16 teams is the absolute maximum IMO. any more dilutes the product and reduces the dividend available to each club. any teams in new locations require a relocation or culling of others.

Bringing in new teams in new areas will increase the media revenue and depending by how much will actually increase the club dividend...

Not to mention new clubs will allow us spend a few million more on players that have left for the ESL or union.

Weels

Juniors
What?? Where are the payers coming from. As it stands with 16 teams, one injury to a key player and a team is in a lot of trouble. Case in point - Broncos, Hodges.
Hodges being out is not going to stop the Bronco's. If that were to happen then I would be very disappointed if it was my club. To be in the position where the loss of one player brings your club undone, then your football manager has done a lousy job in player retention or player buying.

As for there not being enough players. How many NRL players have gone to the old dart because they can't get a game in the NRL. There is too many youngsters coming into grade and denying them a place at the club. plus the restrictions brought about by the salary cap not keeping up with all the other rising prices. There is also another source for players, if there were playing places up for grabs I think we would get a lot of overseas players wanting to try their hand at playing in the NRL.

Worst idea i have ever heard! Scrap the 20s comp!!!!
I don't care what team you use or what you call it. All I'm saying is we should have the 3 teams on the program.
There is too much interest in fans watching the youngsters as they learn & hone their skills as they grow.

With the TV rights coming up for renewal I have the feeling that the going price will surprise the NRL, in fact I think it will amaze them. I expect them to do a damn sight better than they did on their last attempt at TV rights negotiations.

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
As for there not being enough players. How many NRL players have gone to the old dart because they can't get a game in the NRL. There is too many youngsters coming into grade and denying them a place at the club. plus the restrictions brought about by the salary cap not keeping up with all the other rising prices. There is also another source for players, if there were playing places up for grabs I think we would get a lot of overseas players wanting to try their hand at playing in the NRL.

The broncos will not make the finals this year. There replacments are there sure. But the class of hodges is what will lack for half of the season.

As for players going to England. Most of them go to bump up there superanuation. If they can get 300,000 pound to play football on what is effectively a paid holiday, why would they play for Canberra say on 150,000 dollars?

It's only a matter of time now, before some other moron comes up with the idea of having conferences, and thinks they are sitting on the best idea of all time.

ozjet1

Bringing in new teams in new areas will increase the media revenue and depending by how much will actually increase the club dividend...

Not to mention new clubs will allow us spend a few million more on players that have left for the ESL or union.

and will also increase the cost of running the comp.

marginal benefit vs marginal cost.

take a look at the AFL with their prospective new teams. it'll take a couple of decades for them to recoup the cost and new teams to become self-sufficient. take a look at the storm in the NRL...........over a decade in the comp and still relying on the competition administrator to fund a $6m shortfall each season.

and there are calls for another 4 teams to be introduced?

innsaneink

Referee
I agree with ozjet...the playing quality is diluted enough as it is...only slowly recovering with the into of the Titans
Too much too soon is a sure recipe for disaster....oh how quickly we forget

ozjet1

It's only a matter of time now, before some other moron comes up with the idea of having conferences, and thinks they are sitting on the best idea of all time.

but it didnt take long for a moron who doesnt know the difference between conferences from divisions groupings to weigh in.........;-)

conferences in a 16-20 team comp is pointless. conferences effectively splits a competition into 2 leagues. it's fine in the USA where there are 30-32 teams in their major leagues, but in the case of the NRL with 16 teams, it would mean 2 comps of 8 teams each.

divisions on the other hand still retains the all-inclusive competition/finals format, but assists in the scheduling and provides a much fairer and equitable system to assess qualification for finals than the current single ladder league system, because it fundamentally compares teams to other with a common schedule.

the only way the current single ladder league system can work is when every team plays each other twice. this is what it was designed for - look at european football leagues. in contrast, this hasnt happened in the elite rugby league comp for years. it's persisted with here merely because it's been the way it's done forever, not necessarily because it's the best way to actually structure it.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
the game is too small for the foreseeable future. Until we get administrators who know how to sell a product we will be forever confined to being a bit player.

Latest posts