What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change the competition

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
There has been a lot of talk about expansion lately, but not much about how that expansion should be handled.
How many teams?,
Locations of those teams?
How to structure the new competition to accommodate those teams?

My thoughts are;
20 teams.
New teams; Perth, Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane, Central Coast, Wellington NZ.
Remove: Sharks,

Season consists of a full round where every team plays all others once.
Origin is played free of other games being played that weekend.
Anzac test is played AFTER the Origin Series.

All clubs MUST play 3 teams, Pres Cup, Reserve Grade, 1st Grade.
If after a couple of seasons we find the changes have worked well, we should have the capabilities to add 2 more teams if the interest is there.

What are your opinion ?

I like it except no getting rid of the Sharks...Just relocate them to one of the areas you mentioned. Pres cup must remain an under 20's comp tho.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
and will also increase the cost of running the comp.

marginal benefit vs marginal cost.

take a look at the AFL with their prospective new teams. it'll take a couple of decades for them to recoup the cost and new teams to become self-sufficient. take a look at the storm in the NRL...........over a decade in the comp and still relying on the competition administrator to fund a $6m shortfall each season.

and there are calls for another 4 teams to be introduced?

Marginal benefit? We're talking about the possibility of tens of millions more $ coming into the game every year just through increased media rights and increased sponsorship deals for the clubs.

The Storm are in a unique situation. A better example would be to look at the Titans.

AFL have their own massive problems. Some massive percentage of their players come from Victoria alone (which is a shrinking market now that RL, soccer and RU all have teams+growing junior bases there). They have zero O/S support and don't have the Pacific Islands/NZ as a ready made local player talent pool. They also don't have anything like the U20's comp pumping out young players every season.

I don't think anyone wants four new teams introduced at once. Four teams spread over a decade or two is very do-able.

siv

First Grade
There has been a lot of talk about expansion lately, but not much about how that expansion should be handled.
How many teams?,
Locations of those teams?
How to structure the new competition to accommodate those teams?

My thoughts are;
20 teams.
New teams; Perth, Adelaide, 2nd Brisbane, Central Coast, Wellington NZ.
Remove: Sharks,

Season consists of a full round where every team plays all others once.
Origin is played free of other games being played that weekend.
Anzac test is played AFTER the Origin Series.

All clubs MUST play 3 teams, Pres Cup, Reserve Grade, 1st Grade.
If after a couple of seasons we find the changes have worked well, we should have the capabilities to add 2 more teams if the interest is there.

What are your opinion ?

18 teams
- 25 rounds (with one country match round)
- top 8 (but with the Siv SF top 8 system, where teams 1 and 2 get first week bye)
- Sharks to play 6 games out of Adelaide
- Roosters to play 6 games out of C Qld
- Add CC Bears, 2nd Bris, Perth (Auckland dropped)

Dedicated Rep weekends 4 in season
- starting with City v Country (NSW and QLD), SOO I,II,II
(at this time schedule non OZ rinternationals eg NZ and Top 3 Pacific Cup & England & Top 3 Euro Nations)
- Post Season 6 Nations with parrallel 6 Nations Pacific Cup & 6 Nations Euro Cup

NYC and National RG and ARL FG

Merged NSW / Bundy Cup
Qld Cup
Final NSW Cup v Qld Cup on GF Day

NZ to rebuild National comp to rival English comp

World Club Challenge 2 weeks after GF

Last edited:

beave

Coach
F#$k me I can't wait til the start of the season and the constant $hithouse topics start disappearing.

Titanic

First Grade
Scrap Monday night for mid-week fixtures (with U20's only playing weekends) and bring back playing everybody twice.

Sparky 74

Juniors
With the Ind Com about to take over the game why not expand the game & bring in teams from the Central Coast (NSW) South East Qld , SA & WA.

In a perfect world back when teams were merging & relocating the following should of happened:

1. Melbourne Storm
2. Brisbane Broncos
3. North Queensland Cowboys
4. Gold Coast Titans
5. South Queensland Sea Eagles
6. Central Coast Bears
7. Newcastle Knights
8. St. George Illawarra Dragons - Based out of Wollongong
9. Canberra Raiders
10. Souths Sharks - Based out of Adelaide
11. Wests Bulldogs - Based ot of Perth
12. Parramatta Tigers - As much as it pains me to see the EELs merge
13. Penrith Panthers
14. Auckland Warriors
15. Wellington Giants
16. Sydney Roosters

_Johnsy

Referee
F#$k me I can't wait til the start of the season and the constant $hithouse topics start disappearing.

Spot on beave

With the Ind Com about to take over the game why not expand the game & bring in teams from the Central Coast (NSW) South East Qld , SA & WA.

In a perfect world back when teams were merging & relocating the following should of happened:

1. Melbourne Storm
2. Brisbane Broncos
3. North Queensland Cowboys
4. Gold Coast Titans
5. South Queensland Sea Eagles
6. Central Coast Bears
7. Newcastle Knights
8. St. George Illawarra Dragons - Based out of Wollongong
9. Canberra Raiders
10. Souths Sharks - Based out of Adelaide
11. Wests Bulldogs - Based ot of Perth
12. Parramatta Tigers - As much as it pains me to see the EELs merge
13. Penrith Panthers
14. Auckland Warriors
15. Wellington Giants
16. Sydney Roosters

Sparky

How about we let the IC settle and work through any teething problems, then look at expansion down the track when it is best for the game.

On a side note, St.George Illawarra based out of Wollongong, Doggies based out of Perth, & Parra merge. Three of the sides with the best Sydney supporter bases, and you want two of them moved out of Sydney, and the other merged :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Why cant some clubs merge like West Tigers etc,or better still why cant both Rugby codes merge or even better then that why dont the NRL merge with the AFL for a true National Football game with a 20 team comp and instead of flogging a dead horse with the international game we can have a 6 team State of Origin at the end of season between
New South Wales
Queensland
Victoria
South Australia
Western Australia
New Zealand.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Two divisions is the way to go with the split being in Sydney and out of Sydney at first. Playing your own division more will ensure at least two of every local derby every year which will increase interest and revenue.

As new teams come in the divisions can be altered slightly.

Division A (1)
Canterbury
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
Sydney
Wests

Division B (1)
Brisbane
Canberra
Gold Coast
Melbourne
New Zealand
Newcastle
North Queensland
St George Illawarra

Then if you add the Reds and Central Coast or Brisbane 2 it would be:

Division A (2)
Canterbury
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
St George Illawarra
Sydney
Wests

Division B (1)
Brisbane
Canberra
Central Coast/Brisbane 2
Gold Coast
Melbourne
New Zealand
Newcastle
North Queensland
WA Reds

You play everyone once and the teams in your division twice, that would be 22 rounds to start with and 25 rounds with 18 teams.

Division A (2)
Canterbury
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
St George Illawarra
Sydney
Wests

Division B (1)
Brisbane
Canberra
Central Coast/Brisbane 2
Gold Coast
Melbourne
New Zealand
Newcastle
North Queensland
WA Reds

like this as it allows teams to play derby matches twice a year

_Johnsy

Referee
Two divisions is the way to go with the split being in Sydney and out of Sydney at first.

Division A (1)
Canterbury
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
Sydney
Wests

Division B (1)
Brisbane
Canberra
Gold Coast
Melbourne
New Zealand
Newcastle
North Queensland
St George Illawarra

I had no idea we were permenantly based entirely out of the gong. You are taking the piss surely ? Taking one of the most supported sydney clubs out of the "Sydney" conference is a stupid idea.

siv

First Grade
Two divisions is the way to go with the split being in Sydney and out of Sydney at first. Playing your own division more will ensure at least two of every local derby every year which will increase interest and revenue.

As new teams come in the divisions can be altered slightly.

Division A (1)
Canterbury
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
Sydney
Wests

Division B (1)
Brisbane
Canberra
Gold Coast
Melbourne
New Zealand
Newcastle
North Queensland
St George Illawarra

Then if you add the Reds and Central Coast or Brisbane 2 it would be:

Division A (2)
Canterbury
Cronulla
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
South Sydney
St George Illawarra
Sydney
Wests

Division B (1)
Brisbane
Canberra
Central Coast/Brisbane 2
Gold Coast
Melbourne
New Zealand
Newcastle
North Queensland
WA Reds

You play everyone once and the teams in your division twice, that would be 22 rounds to start with and 25 rounds with 18 teams.

18 teams two conferences - was my proposal that I sent to the NRL

Scarves

Juniors
18 teams, split into 3 conferences, featuring 22 rounds. Play all teams once and teams within your conference a second time. Promotes closer geographic clashes and crunch Qld matches. Lessens the load on players with only 22 competition games. Throw in a bye or two around Origin time for good luck. No clubs are cut, if a club wishes to relocate, there can be a conference reallignment the following season. An example of a three conference system is listed below with two new clubs added.

The 8 team semi final system should feature the highest ranked team of each division plus the top five other teams as finished on the main premiership ladder at the conclusion of regulation rounds.

New South Wales North Division:

Canterbury
Manly
Parramatta
Penrith
Newcastle
Central Coast (new team)

New South Wales South Division

Saints
Souths
Canberra
Cronulla
Wests Tigers
Roosters

Interstate Division:

Brisbane
Gold Coast
Nth Qld
4th Qld Team (new team)
Melbourne
New Zealand

Weels

Juniors
When I started this thread I know I was wanting your ideas as to changing the competition, but I am in NO WAY in favour of two divisions. :shock:

To me that is a step that would alienate some clubs, and probably all of them. It would surely also alienate a damn lot of fans around the country.
In my book, the two divisions is a definite NO-NO. [-X

Last edited:

bluey

Bench
When I started this thread I know I was wanting your ideas as to changing the competition, but I am in NO WAY in favour of two divisions. :shock:

To me that is a step that would alienate some clubs, and probably all of them. It would surely also alienate a damn lot of fans around the country.

If you really want to change the comp cool, but include every side that has a current nrl licence.
Lets face it, this thead is all about getting rid of the sharks

siv

First Grade

Not 1st and 2nd Division structure

But pools where teams play each other twice in teh same pool and alternate pools once

Same strategy that was used in 1995 when we had 20 teams, where we had 4 pools of 5 that were graded on the previous season

But rather than doing based upon teh comp table do it based upon geography.

We are actually doing it now with the 16 team comp over 24 rounds - where Sydney team and Qld teams play each other twice most of the time

With 18 team over 25 rounds - you can play the games where teams play their opposite pool member - home / away over 2 years

Weels

Juniors
Lets face it, this thead is all about getting rid of the sharks

Your right I did list the Sharks as gone, but with it open to everyone for their thoughts, I then expected to hear why the Sharks should stay in the competition. I cannot recall anyone saying anything much about them, at all.

Do they stay as is, do they need changes made at the club in any way, or do they relocate to where it is best for the comp?.
Would they stand a better chance by the move, and by creating a new fan base, or add to the fans they already have?

Nobody has mentioned anything of the fact that we have a foreign club already included in the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE, and them wanting another club created.

Latest posts