What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes Are Necassary

aussies1st

Staff member
Totally stuffed up leaving those 2 out especially Hussey. Tait i'm happy with but they won't use him because he would be too inexperienced. If they are going to do that they should have picked Bracken as all they seem to be doing is giving Tait a free holiday.

IanG

Coach
Earl said:
I like that side its a start, but you've ommited Michael Clarke, I'd only drop him through injury. He is the only Australian to pass 90 this series remember.

Well that was the only reason I left him out was from the bit of his innings I saw in this game he looked liek he was struggling big time. Looked like he was in a fair bit of pain. But thankfully the 4th Test isn't for about 2 weeks or so, so he may shake it off.

Timbo said:
My 4th test side would go:

1-J.Langer
2-M.Hussey
3-S.Katich
4-D.Martyn
5-R.Ponting
6-B.Hodge
7-A.Gilchrist (c,k)
8-S.Warne
9-B.Lee
10-N.Bracken
11-G.McGrath

Hayden's so out of form it isn't funny. He has to go. Ponting no longer deserves to bat at 3 the way he's playing, IMO Katich is the only one sensible enough to bay there. Ponting has also shown why he was such an advocate of Darren Lehmann-He made all the fielding and bowling changes. Ponting doesn't have a bloody clue. Welcome back captain Gilchrist. Clarke is not only injured, but was probably on the verge of being dropped till his innings in the first test. Hodge has earned a call up. Gillespie....well, enough said really. And I think Bracken is perfect for English conditions.

Hussey? Katich? Hodge? Bracken? Your opinion, but Katich would be a dreadful player at number 3, his technique is too sloppy. Hussey, possibly an opening option but would be more of an asset during the middle overs where he can build an innings when the ball is old. Hodge, his time was a year ago, his form hasn't been at the heights they were when Victoria won the Pura Cup. And Bracken, left arm adds variety, and he may swing it a bit, but the Australian attack lacks any balls. Lee isn't even bowling as quick as Harmison and Flintoff. Tait would add some balls and he moves the ball.

Timbo

Staff member
Oh yes that's exactly what we need. Lee and Tait. Two erratic bowlers who help the ball hit the fence faster.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timbo said:
Oh yes that's exactly what we need. Lee and Tait. Two erratic bowlers who help the ball hit the fence faster.

Have you got any better ideas! OMG Gillespie is a dud! I'd play MacGill but if they did not play him in this test I can't see them playing for the rest of the series!

willvillain

Juniors
Um, I believe his suggestion was to bring in Nathan Bracken - for his swing ability, which is where the Poms really do have the wood on Australia. Simon Jones is bowling very well - the best swing bowler of the two teams picked up 6 wickets in the first innings.

Perhaps Bracken could do the same? So I'm thinking that was Timbo's better idea.

Tait is not the saviour of this series. Lee is bowling well.

Timbo

Staff member
Thankyou for restating my point before I had to.

Bracken is excellent at getting the ball to swing-Especially when it's going Irish.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Timbo said:
Thankyou for restating my point before I had to.

Bracken is excellent at getting the ball to swing-Especially when it's going Irish.

I will put it nicely. Bracken has not taken his chances before, so I am very hesitant in bringing him in. It is not that I don't like him, but due to his performances in TEST CRICKET before, it is a huge gamble to bring him in to an Ashes series that is level currently!

aussies1st

Staff member
The only non gamble would be replacing Dizzy with Kaspa. Kaspa obviously hasn't been given time to prove himself but he too his a gamble. He only has to have a slightly off day and he will be flying all over the park.

Tait is swift enough, but needs the deck to help him out. Will move a new ball, but is gun barrel straight (down leg side) when it is older. Has a low action so doesn't get a great deal of bounce either. He is a talent, no doubt, but needs to spend a summer with Dennis Lillee or perhaps Bruce Reid...

Mike Hussey has opened in the past for WA I reckon, but it is irrelevant cause Hayden won't get dropped unless he knocks up Pontings missus.

aussies1st

Staff member
Tait should be able to bowl on flat decks as he plays for South Aus which has the flattest deck of them all.

aussies1st said:
Tait should be able to bowl on flat decks as he plays for South Aus which has the flattest deck of them all.

Exactly.

Kasprowicz would do us well, but I think something unseen to the poms like Tait could be our wildcard. They've certainly done their homework on our bowlers, and our batsmen. Tait is unseen.

Talk of Hussey is going around, and Jaques to an extent, but what about Martin Love? He got like 170 the other day and has played an awful lot of county cricket in his day.

aussies1st

Staff member
That guy really has fallen out of favor. Probably won't happen but he would be a welcome addition to our slip courden. Kaspa in england hasn't been the best so he would be as much risk as Tait but a more experienced risk. Thing with Tait is no one can ever do their homework on him. He is one of those guys that can produce one of those spells or he can go for heaps.

Earl

Coach
If I had to pick a bowler to come in for Gillespie it would be Nathan Braken hands down. He showed brilliant form in the last Pura Cup season, but the fact is Australia WILL NOT fly someone over from Australia. They will pick from the squad or from the players already in England.

BTW Mike Hussey scored 146 last night in a county game.

aussies1st

Staff member
Bracken as I said before would be awesome. He would give our attack more variation and he would swing it something which we don't seem to be doing.
Thats good news on Huseey hopefully he gets a look in.

Earl

Coach
I know Bracken took 7/4 against South Australia, and for memory he carved up in the Cup final?

On his day he is capable of anything. He needs the ball to swing though, other wise he isn't much.

aussies1st

Staff member
That probably is the problem with Bracken. If he can't swing it then he isn't much use. Now that is what Aus need and Hussey is opening. (Hayden watch out) He scoring a bit slowish espeically considering he has hit 5 sixes. Thought he might have scored at a quicker rate. Guess currently Aus would take anyone that can get a 100.

aussies1st said:

True, but check when he gets his wickets and how he gets them. He gets a lot of bowleds against the tail and moves the odd one away from the openers. He is good, but will get spanked by an in form English top order at present...pretty much as Gillespie is

Latest posts