What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 10: Gower wants out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Remember: At this stage it's all media bullsh*t. Nothing has been substantiated. Even Greg Willet has denied that he has asked for an immediate release on Gowie's behalf. We won't know anything more until the end of the week, and given by what I've heard so far between speculating sensationalist rags like the SmellyCrap, and REAL newspapers like the Sydney Morning Herald who has given a more plausible version of events, I'm confident that the Panthers Board, Gowie and his manager can work something out so that we are not without a star half back for next year.

Big Artie said:
just remember even thou he is one of the toughest players to strap on a boot, he is flesh and blood and human, and there is life after footy, Im worried about if he leaves, Penrith being a fan, however I worry heaps more for gowie as a person in the years to come, and a lot of ppl say he deserved it snap out of it etc, but ah its not that easy at time's have a look at a couple of recent incidents in later life of footballers who played for australia lost at very young ages, we actually should be assisting him not bagging him I think

I admire Gowie for what he does on the field, and also what he has done for the Penrith community and Rugby League in general. However Mick Leary was 100% right when he evaluated Gowie's situation after the accusations were launched: He's a contracted NRL player and consequently he is representing the N.R.L. and the Penrith Panthers with everything he says and does in public regardless of when or where he does it. Make no mistake, he has brought all this on himself and he's done it on more than one occassion. Let's not kid ourselves: If the Panthers board had not fined him and stripped him of his captaincy, the N.R.L. would have stepped in and possibly done something more severe like lengthy match suspensions or worse: deregistration as a player.

The reality is that if Gowie does stay, and keep his nose clean this season, he will more than likely get the captaincy back in 2007.

In the unlikely event that he does jump ship, I won't be wishing him the best at all. Because ultimately If he does so, he's nothing but a coward and a weakling. It will show his immaturity in being unable to take his punishment like a man, leaving for his own selfish reasons, and consequently destabilising the team and putting our season in jeopardy. I also hope Penrith don't pay his contract out by one cent.

The next few days will determine if Gowie is truly the stalwart, loyal bloke I always thought him to be.

In the event that he proves me wrong and jumps ship, I won't be asking him for his autograph at the season ticket holders barbecue later this month.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Pantherjim. said:
In the unlikely event that he does jump ship, I won't be wishing him the best at all. Because ultimately If he does so, he's nothing but a coward and a weakling. It will show his immaturity in being unable to take his punishment like a man, leaving for his own selfish reasons, and consequently destabilising the team and putting our season in jeopardy. I also hope Penrith don't pay his contract out by one cent.

:clap: :clap:

Fibroman

First Grade
bluesbreaker said:
:lol: Aww, poor old Gowie, all he did was allegedly [EDITED - PK]! That mean media, crucifying the poor man, how ever will he survive? :( We should all be supporting him for his actions!

I'm convinced now that you're a complete dribbler, Fibroman. Before I just thought you were ignorant and one-eyed.

Blah blah blah.............. racker racker racker. Another bloody latte sipper in full flight behind the sanctuary of a monitor and keyboard.

*Sandy*

First Grade
It's a shame people don't rate the state of other peoples mental health highly.

junior009

Juniors
Pantherjim. said:
Remember: At this stage it's all media bullsh*t. Nothing has been substantiated. Even Greg Willet has denied that he has asked for an immediate release on Gowie's behalf. We won't know anything more until the end of the week, and given by what I've heard so far between speculating sensationalist rags like the SmellyCrap, and REAL newspapers like the Sydney Morning Herald who has given a more plausible version of events, I'm confident that the Panthers Board, Gowie and his manager can work something out so that we are not without a star half back for next year.

I admire Gowie for what he does on the field, and also what he has done for the Penrith community and Rugby League in general. However Mick Leary was 100% right when he evaluated Gowie's situation after the accusations were launched: He's a contracted NRL player and consequently he is representing the N.R.L. and the Penrith Panthers with everything he says and does in public regardless of when or where he does it. Make no mistake, he has brought all this on himself and he's done it on more than one occassion. Let's not kid ourselves: If the Panthers board had not fined him and stripped him of his captaincy, the N.R.L. would have stepped in and possibly done something more severe like lengthy match suspensions or worse: deregistration as a player.

The reality is that if Gowie does stay, and keep his nose clean this season, he will more than likely get the captaincy back in 2007.

The next few days will determine if Gowie is truly the stalwart, loyal bloke I always thought him to be.

In the event that he proves me wrong and jumps ship, I won't be asking him for his autograph at the season ticket holders barbecue later this month.

Sorry mate but you don't know what you're talking about.

junior009

Juniors
The Rhino said:
If the club release him (which it won't), he won't be playing in Australia until the term of his current Penrith contract is up. ALA What Parramatta did to Jamie Lyon.

Don't count on it

junior009

Juniors
A few actually.

The main one being "If he leaves he's nothing but a coward and weakling"

There's more to this story and if he leaves it will comes out and you'll see that's anything but the case.

BuBz81

Juniors
Pantherjim. said:

Pantherjim

I respect what you've said here but I don't agree with you.

You said that if he does leave it will show his immaturity in be being unable to take his punishment like a man. If Gowers suffering from depression due to all this I wouldn't blame him for leaving the club. It's not a sign of immaturity it's mental anguish, which mostly only people who suffer from it can understand.

I really want Craig to stay at Penrith, he's a great player but if he is suffering, as the papers have said, then I would prefer he leave not only for his own health but for the club as well. If he's heart is not in it anymore than he should leave, no one wants a player that doesn't want to be there because they won't give their all. If he does I would wish him all the best.

I realise that what you've written is most likely if Craig left the club because they took the captaincy off him, but if the reasons were due to his health would you still feel the same way?

Pantherjim.

Referee
junior009 said:
A few actually.

The main one being "If he leaves he's nothing but a coward and weakling"

There's more to this story and if he leaves it will comes out and you'll see that's anything but the case.

The way I see it, if he seeks a release he is nothing but a selfish coward and a weakling.

He f*cked up, now he's unwilling to take his medicine.

Do the rest of the squad feel compelled to act like drunken arseholes in public?

No!

I'm not saying he's guilty of everything that the media states he's done, but the Panthers board have determined that he has a case to answer and have punished him accordingly. If they hadn't, the N.R.L. would have, with much less pleasant consequences.

He needs to grow up and stop being a brat.

In what other subjects, pray tell do I appear to not know what I am talking about?

Pantherjim.

Referee
BuBz81 said:
Pantherjim

You said that if he does leave it will show his immaturity in be being unable to take his punishment like a man. If Gowers suffering from depression due to all this I wouldn't blame him for leaving the club. It's not a sign of immaturity it's mental anguish, which mostly only people who suffer from it can understand.

How do you know it's depression? have you seen a piece of paper from a qualified psychiatrist certifying this? All you've heard so far is sensationalist crap from a joke of a Newspaper spurred on by an attention seeking Player Manager that should learn to keep his mouth shut!

From reports I've heard so far by our media manager, Gowie has been fine at training. He even congratulated Big "T" on the captaincy.

BuBz81 said:
PantherjimI realise that what you've written is most likely if Craig left the club because they took the captaincy off him, but if the reasons were due to his health would you still feel the same way?

If it could be proven that Gowie is, in fact mentally destabilised by the whole affair, than yes, I would feel differently. It would be in his own best interests to leave, not to mention ours as well as he would be a liability. However, I fail to see how he will benefit from changing clubs, he should leave League altogether in that respect. However, I severely doubt that Willet is painting an accurate picture of Gowie's mental health at present.

BuBz81

Juniors
I never claimed that I knew he was, I said that if he was then this is how I feel about it.

I don't take anything I read in the papers is gospel, I never have and I never will. I was simply trying to give my opinion if what was being said was true and responding to your post telling you that I didn't necessarily agree with all you had said and why.

Big Artie

Juniors
Pantherjim a certified piece of paper from a psychiatrist ah, sensational crap from a newspaper. Well isnt the whole situation like that or were u a witness when Gowie did woteva he did. talk of proving things, didnt see him get criminally charged and I wonder why. Have you seen a piece of certified paper or a signed statement from gowie about the incident. If so can u meet me down the local and fill me in would be interesting stuff, did you get a copy.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Big Artie said:
Pantherjim a certified piece of paper from a psychiatrist ah, sensational crap from a newspaper. Well isnt the whole situation like that or were u a witness when Gowie did woteva he did. talk of proving things, didnt see him get criminally charged and I wonder why. Have you seen a piece of certified paper or a signed statement from gowie about the incident. If so can u meet me down the local and fill me in would be interesting stuff, did you get a copy.

Show me where in my last post I said that Gowie was as guilty as sin of everything that the media, Dawn Fraser, and Tatum Pearce had accused him of??

Show me where in my last post that I claimed that I was a witness??

All I've said is that the Panthers board have found Gowie guilty of misconduct, and the severity of that misconduct warrants the fine they have given him and stripping him of the captaincy according to the board. Therefore, obviously whatever behaviour Gowie exhibited at the Charity golf gala dinner wasn't that of an angel and warranted some sort of punishment. Hence he should take his punishment like a man, put what's happened behind him and get on with what he does best; Playing football for the Penrith Panthers. Not reduce himself to the level of a childish crybaby and threaten to walk if things aren't fixed.

If you've been listening to the news lately, you'll know that two legendary ex-Rugby League players that are not even remotely associated with Penrith; Wendell Sailor and Brad Fittler, have advised Gowie to put it all behind him, stay with the club and play football. So my views can't be that disastrously off the mark.:-k

Learn to read peoples posts properly in future you uneducated, simple, f*cktard, then perhaps you won't get pissed on from a great height.

While you're about it, go back to school and learn basic spelling and grammar.

lainey

Juniors
There is an article on NRL.com where Gowie has said it all blown out of proportion and he wants to stay with Penrith. I don't know how to attach the link, that's why I haven't put it here......:(

choc_soldier

Coach
This is from today's SMH...

Gower: I'll talk peace with Penrith

By Greg Prichard
February 9, 2006

SACKED Panthers captain Craig Gower says he hopes to work out a solution with Penrith that will result in him staying at the club until the end of his career.

But the player's manager, Greg Willett, stressed that while Gower hoped to work something out, it would take a lot of discussion at club and family levels over the next two days before his future was clear.

Gower and his wife, Amanda, returned from their honeymoon in Vietnam yesterday and Willett drove them straight to a breakfast with Gower's parents, at which the situation was discussed.

Speculation has been rife that Gower wanted out of his five-year, $2.25 million contract since it was revealed Willett had last Friday met Penrith general manager Mick Leary and coach John Lang.

Gower is upset about issues related to the process that resulted in the club stripping him of the team captaincy and fining him $30,000 for being involved in an alcohol-fuelled incident on the Sunshine Coast in December.

Asked if he would seek a release, Gower told the Herald: "People are thinking I'm a whinger because of all the stuff that's been in the media this week, but I wasn't even here while any of that was going on.

"Every time I get splashed across the papers I'm supposed to want out, but I haven't come out and said that. I asked my manager to have a word to Penrith while I was away and somehow that got out and everyone seems to have made up their own minds about what I want without hearing anything from me.

"I do have a couple of issues that I want to discuss face-to-face with the club and it's true that some of it has got to do with the process the club went through in deciding my punishment. But it's a complex thing and I think I'm better off just discussing it with the club.

"The thing I would like to do is work out some sort of solution with the club over all of this that would see me stay. It's not the case that I've asked for a release or anything like that. I want to find common ground with the club. If I can't find common ground, I don't know what will happen, but I want to work it out with Penrith.

"I'll be back at training tomorrow and it will be business as usual as far as I'm concerned. I'll be meeting with the club some time after that."

Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews said last night he would meet Gower today and that he believed the pair could find a solution so that Gower would stay.

"I've had a telephone conversation with Craig since he got back and we're going to meet and I'm not going to tell anyone when or where and we're going to talk about the personal issues that concern him," Matthews said. "I'm optimistic that we can work something out."

Willett said he expected to then meet Gower and club officials tomorrow.

"Craig does want to try to work something out at Penrith but at the end of the day he is the only one who can decide his future because he is the one who has to live or die by his decision," Willett said.

"There will be a lot of discussion between Craig and his family and Craig and the club before any decision is made."

Asked for his reaction to speculation linking Gower with Melbourne, Matthews said: "We haven't considered anything post-Craig Gower for this club. We're looking at Craig being here for the next five years."

Meanwhile, St George Illawarra utility Shaun Timmins is poised to sign a one-year extension of his contract that will still enable him to play in England next season.

The deal will ensure 30-year-old Timmins never plays against the club but includes a get-out clause should he decide before July 1 that he wants to finish his career in Super League.

Timmins last year knocked back an offer from Hull and has also been linked to Wigan, who have made an offer for Dragons captain Trent Barrett. Barrett's agent, Wayne Beavis, is due today to meet St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust and it is believed the Australia Test five-eighth is leaning towards exercising an option in his contract to move to England at the end of the season, despite having two more years to run with the Dragons.

In other news, the South Sydney board is expected to agree tonight to allow members to vote on the $3m offer by Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe for a 75 per cent stake of the football club.

And Wests Tigers yesterday announced a three-year, $1.2 million sponsorship deal with home appliances manufacturer Haier that will see the value of the premiers, jersey double this season to $1.5m.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/gower-ill-talk-peace-with-penrith/2006/02/08/1139379572588.html

Caged Panther

First Grade
the herald have been far more accurate in their reporting of this situation from the word go. Alot the hysteria (which I'll admit to getting caught up in) comes from the sensationalism of the telegraph :roll:.

Quite clearly his preference is to work out his problems and stay with the club not to get out of the club by any means possible.

lainey

Juniors
I blame his manager for all this media hype. Glenn Matthews said he wouldn't tell anyone when or where they would be meeting yet Willett has just said in the above article it would be tomorrow.....I say sack Willett, he seems to be stirring the pot....

Big Artie

Juniors
Pantherjim. said:
Show me where in my last post I said that Gowie was as guilty as sin of everything that the media, Dawn Fraser, and Tatum Pearce had accused him of??

Show me where in my last post that I claimed that I was a witness??

All I've said is that the Panthers board have found Gowie guilty of misconduct, and the severity of that misconduct warrants the fine they have given him and stripping him of the captaincy according to the board. Therefore, obviously whatever behaviour Gowie exhibited at the Charity golf gala dinner wasn't that of an angel and warranted some sort of punishment. Hence he should take his punishment like a man, put what's happened behind him and get on with what he does best; Playing football for the Penrith Panthers. Not reduce himself to the level of a childish crybaby and threaten to walk if things aren't fixed.

If you've been listening to the news lately, you'll know that two legendary ex-Rugby League players that are not even remotely associated with Penrith; Wendell Sailor and Brad Fittler, have advised Gowie to put it all behind him, stay with the club and play football. So my views can't be that disastrously off the mark.:-k

Learn to read peoples posts properly in future you uneducated, simple, f*cktard, then perhaps you won't get pissed on from a great height.

While you're about it, go back to school and learn basic spelling and grammar.

f*cktard LOL talk about basic spelling and grammar, dont worry you will learn about life as you develop lol, its complex but you will probably achieve it at some time. Im so hurt by your words, I dont think I can face the world lol

Status
Not open for further replies.