What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 to broadcast RL World Cup

nrlnrl

First Grade
Yeah but they are just taking a live feed they have no control over stoppages like 9 would.

I understand that they are taking a feed from other sources ( Premier Sports & BBC ), but if Aiton had been sent off Australian viewers would've missed it because Channel 7 ( through 7Mate ) decided to go to an ad break. The ref was still waiting for advice from the video ref when they went to an ad break. The commentators were even saying this is a big decision & talking about it when for some strange reason there were 2 ads ! They missed the penalty decision & the kick for touch & came back as France were about to take the tap.

As for the 2 ads after tries, I suppose I prefer the Fox Sports coverage when there are no ads until half time, but I can understand Channel 7 trying to maximise exposure for ads during the game. Even though they are taking an external live feed, they still have control when they are showing ads.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Finally, some real commentary in rugby league

As I am writing this, Australia have just defeated England 28-20 in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup opener.
After trailing 10-0 early in the match, the Aussies came back to lead at halftime and withheld a spirited English fightback at the end.
The match has been tight and the contest absorbing, and England ought to lose no admirers with their performance.
The shining light of this opening match, however, has been Channel 7′s commentary.
After years of Channel 9, with the agenda-driven negativity of Phil Gould and the boys’ club mentality exemplified by Brad Fittler, the Channel 7 crew led by Andrew Voss were a breath of fresh air.
What we have heard and experienced was a celebration of rugby league.
The commentators have been professional, international, and even their national biases have been, if it is possible to say, somewhat neutral.
If the production crew of Channel 9 are secretly watching this coverage and wondering how they can improve their control over rugby league in Australia, they could do a lot worse than take their cue from this match.
Keep your commentary enjoyable, professional and neutral, and you’ll go a long way to earning the right to be appreciated by the legion of fans that follow the game.
Well done Channel 7. Bring on the remaining matches.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/10/27/finally-some-real-commentary-in-rugby-league/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Loving the coverage. I'm watching it in my movie room on a massive screen and HD projector and the picture is awsome! Even clearer and better colour definition than FoxHD NRL games. Makes the games on GEMHD from Ch9 look like I'm watching them on a 1950's crt portable with coathanger aerial!
Enjoying the commentory as well, Voss is soooo much better than anything on ch9 and even the English guys have been refreshing to listen to. Halligan has been the only frustrating commentator so far. Love the video ref being mic'd up, the comments in the Fiji game were funny as. Crowd noise and atmosphee is coming across well with some good close up crowd shots. Considering how bleak the weather is the games still come across full of energy and colour.

All in all very enjoyable. Please, please,please oh lord let Ch7 win the NRL coverage in 2019!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cheers. they are low, guess that's what you get sticking them on a digital channel and not having replays the following night at a decent time. Shame they don't include games recorded and watched later!

ek999

First Grade
Cheers. they are low, guess that's what you get sticking them on a digital channel and not having replays the following night at a decent time. Shame they don't include games recorded and watched later!

Need to put the figures in perspective. One match was the second highest rating at the time it was on air and another third (behind Today and Sunrise). The number of people watching TV at that time of the day is quite low

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems that there has been problems with a couple of games, or my foxiq is dodgy! NZ v Samoa and USA v Cook Islands stopped recording after 20 mins?

Western_Eel

Juniors
I Have had no issues with my Tbox have recorded all games so far the only problem i have is im running out of room, I need to work out how to transfer them off the Tbox ASAP

nrlnrl

First Grade
Look at the quality 7 are putting in to games in the middle of the night with, you'd imagine, not a huge crowd. If they treat a Dogwatch shift with this respect, what would they do with it at prime time?

NRL need to take notice. Notice this, notice the blatant disregard 9 has for the sport, and make some demands.

I've been disappointed by the coverage. There's only been been 1 ex player with Ryan Phelan in the studio for every game & I haven't seen a Channel 7 person at the ground for any game. I would've thought a rights holder would've been able to add a reporter / journalist for comments before & after the game - even just for Australia's group games & where possible, from the quarter finals onwards.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I've been disappointed by the coverage. There's only been been 1 ex player with Ryan Phelan in the studio for every game & I haven't seen a Channel 7 person at the ground for any game. I would've thought a rights holder would've been able to add a reporter / journalist for comments before & after the game - even just for Australia's group games & where possible, from the quarter finals onwards.

i have found Australian networks reluctant to send reporters overseas in general.

nrlnrl

First Grade
i have found Australian networks reluctant to send reporters overseas in general.

Yeah, true. Maybe they could've just used a Fairfax / News Ltd journo who was already going to be there. Some people might doubt it, but by having someone there it increases the credibility & also the positive publicity ( by being able to have more regular reports between games ).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Plenty of ex NRL players over there they could have had on sideline duty but they are using UK feed so it wouldn't cut to them other than pre and post game.

Latest posts