What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 7 to broadcast RL World Cup

nrlnrl

First Grade
Plenty of ex NRL players over there they could have had on sideline duty but they are using UK feed so it wouldn't cut to them other than pre and post game.

They got Andrew Voss for a certain number of games, so you'd think they could've also got a co-commentator. Does anyone know if Darryl Halligan became involved through Channel 7 or was already working for one of the Pommie networks ?

Canard

Immortal
Each to there own, but having ex players as commentators isn't that big a criteria when judging coverage for me.

Springs

First Grade
They got Andrew Voss for a certain number of games, so you'd think they could've also got a co-commentator. Does anyone know if Darryl Halligan became involved through Channel 7 or was already working for one of the Pommie networks ?

Andrew Voss was employed by Premier Sports, as was Daryl Halligan. I'd say both became involved through Premier Sports contacting Sky Sports NZ.

In perspective, I am pretty happy with the coverage. I remember Nine's coverage of the 2000 world cup. They showed the opening game for Australia, and at the end of that broadcast said "See you for the finals". Everything else was on Foxtel.

The (next?) year when they were broadcasting the World Club Challenge they called it (out loud and in graphics) the "World Cup [sic] Challenge".

We've come a long way from that.

Packy

Bench
I am loving it. I think 7 are doing a great job. It feels a little SBS soccer with the way they go from the studio to the foreign broadcast but I don't give a f**k. It's great to go to bed with footy on and wake up to the merkin as well. Live footy. On time and in HD.

Wish 7 got the NRL.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Each to there own, but having ex players as commentators isn't that big a criteria when judging coverage for me.

Fair enough, but my point was more about having a Channel 7 "presence" there - either someone from Channel 7 or a reporter from Fairfax or News Ltd who could give a bit more detail before & after games. As well as that they could have daily reports from someone travelling around, rather than just the vision that all channels seem to have at their disposal. ( just thought it worthwhile at a World Cup to have the extra overall coverage from the rights holder )

joshreading

Staff member
I also think the coverage has been great, Analogue TV will soon be gone and "main" channels will increasingly be irrelevant.

Moony

Juniors
They don't need to worry about analogue tv. But I think they should have the coverage on high definition and standard definition so people can record all cup games. So people have a chance to watch all the teams go around. I'm an aussie but I would of liked to see USA and FIGI in a few games but I cant due to work commitments.

Latest posts