What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

undertaker

Coach
got the sack after getting pissed on a flight somewhere

I'm pretty sure he got sacked twice (like Hadley): once in '98 due to the airflight incident you mentioned, and then he made a brief comeback in 2002 before being sacked again for some other reason I cannot remember.

It's hard to imagine that before Mark Nicholas arrived onto our shores, Fat Cat was considered as Richie Benaud's replacement as anchorman back in the mid-90's. I'm glad that didn't eventuate.

undertaker

Coach
Saw Girdler on the League Lounge. He's a great TV talent.

He needs to be used way more.

They should groom him to be the next Footy Show host. He could do it.

If Ch9 lose the rights at the end of 2012 and another station starts their own "Footy Show", Girdler is someone who I would AT LEAST have as a permanent pannelist on the show (whether I'd have him as host/co-host as something I'd need to give more thought into. But if was in this position, he'd have far more of an impact than Shane Webcke did on the Matty Johns show). Just reminiscing last night as I was watching the show, I always regarded him highly as he had great on-camera skills, very knowledgable, doesn't have a history of notoriety, and had the ability to engage and connect with an audience. Another characteristic ppl have mentioned is that he's natural and doesn't need to do outlandish stuff like what Beau Ryan did when he smashed all the cups of coffee with an AFL ball.

It's a huge waste of talent that someone like Girds isn't involved in the media, whereas you have people like Freddy who are literally quiet throughout 99% of the show and are no where to be seen, and then ppl like Brohman who just regurgitate fat jokes ad nauseum.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Wasn't the Voss/Mario 'fight' thingy when Voss had a t-shirt with Mario's face on it teasing the shit out of it, then Mario walked over to his desk & chucked Voss' typewriter on the floor?

undertaker

Coach
Wasn't the Voss/Mario 'fight' thingy when Voss had a t-shirt with Mario's face on it teasing the shit out of it, then Mario walked over to his desk & chucked Voss' typewriter on the floor?

Ah, now that you mention that I think I vaguely recall what you're talking about. I know that '98 was the year that Fatty and co. started to pay out on Mario ALL THE TIME whilst Mario was doing his "What's doing?" segment (like throwing flour on him etc. All of that is in the "Best of the Footy Show" DVD). But, I do remember in '96 that Voss did the "Around the Grounds" segment on the Thursday Night show (he also did it on the Sunday Footy Show for many years as well), wearing the Peter Senior-like hat. I think it may have been a pair of underwear that had Mario's face on it, but I don't remember what happened after that.

undertaker

Coach
Mate, this is why the show has been in rapid decline in both the ratings and popular opinion since around 2005.

It will be allowed to die in its current format before they ever make those changes.

Yep. 2005 was the year that chinks in the armour started to become evident, which prompted Ch9 to call in Hadley and Rebecca Wilson (which the later did appear in one episode). Coincidentially, the AFL show's ratings declined that year as well but with Eddie leaving at end of year and the whole show being restructured, the ratings picked up for them the following year. More than 5 years on, the decision to have Lyon/Brayshaw accompany Sam Newman in the hosting duties was the right one, as was replacing Trevor Marmalade (or whatever his name was) with Crawford/Brownless as the sidekicks. However, for the NRL, the ratings have been down since then. Sterlo jumped off the sinking ship at the end of 2006, and the show took an even larger dive.

The whole Hadley/Blocker feud with Fatty/Sterlo had an affect on the popularity and reputation of the show. However, watching the footage during 2000 (post-Blocker) to 2004 showed me that even though there were some crap parts in the show back then, it made me realise how watchable it was and how much structure and flow it had back then compared to now

Btw, on an unrelated note, when did that segment with Trevor Gillmeister take place (where he was at some function)? HAHAH! That was hilarious.

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
Thinking about Sam Newman, can anyone think of a former player who could be a Sam Newman type personality??

They have to be Controversial, say what they think to anyone, give current players a hard time and be able to cop getting the piss taken out of them. Anyone?

And please - do not say MG !!

kbw

Bench
Someone on Ch7 or Ch10 maybe

None of the idiots on Ch9 can handle having the piss taken out of them

Mate, this is why the show has been in rapid decline in both the ratings and popular opinion since around 2005.

It will be allowed to die in its current format before they ever make those changes.

The year fatty had his fall. Matty Johns took over for a few months and people realised how little Vautin actually offered. Once he returned everyone realised just how stale he had become, and that was the start of the slide. Matty getting the flick should probably have been the end of it (it should have been pulled at the end of 2009), but they just keep persisting with it. Fatty should have got the flick over 5 years ago now, yet he's the only one who seems to stay whilst the others around him keep changing. The answer has been obvious but it seems the clowns at 9 can't figure it out.

Moffo

Referee
Thinking about Sam Newman, can anyone think of a former player who could be a Sam Newman type personality??

They have to be Controversial, say what they think to anyone, give current players a hard time and be able to cop getting the piss taken out of them. Anyone?

And please - do not say MG !!

Ian Roberts

Hallatia

Referee
I haven't watched the Footy Show in a LONG while (I am out most Thursday night so couldn't really watch it if I wanted to), but my brother seems to think Matty Johns is back on the show, is there any truth to this?

AuDragon

Juniors
I haven't watched the Footy Show in a LONG while (I am out most Thursday night so couldn't really watch it if I wanted to), but my brother seems to think Matty Johns is back on the show, is there any truth to this?
He might return in the future, but yesterday was the 500th Footy Show with a lot of "the best off" fragments, which obviously included Matty Johns. No indication of his imminent return though...

Hooch

Juniors
I dont think Ch9 even care about it, it's a cheap basket case that pulls in a bit more viewers than CSI repeats. They need to get in some decent producers and some half-decent talent... Matty Johns has a rare natural comic timing but they f**ked that up for themselves so they've got a stooge instead

The shows just f**ked, needs a complete overhaul or just bury it instead of letting it rot.

Yeah and far too much arse-licking going on there, they need to make some decent tv instead of sticking their tongues into 'The Gynge' and his missus.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep. 2005 was the year that chinks in the armour started to become evident, which prompted Ch9 to call in Hadley and Rebecca Wilson (which the later did appear in one episode). Coincidentially, the AFL show's ratings declined that year as well but with Eddie leaving at end of year and the whole show being restructured, the ratings picked up for them the following year. More than 5 years on, the decision to have Lyon/Brayshaw accompany Sam Newman in the hosting duties was the right one, as was replacing Trevor Marmalade (or whatever his name was) with Crawford/Brownless as the sidekicks. However, for the NRL, the ratings have been down since then. Sterlo jumped off the sinking ship at the end of 2006, and the show took an even larger dive.

The whole Hadley/Blocker feud with Fatty/Sterlo had an affect on the popularity and reputation of the show. However, watching the footage during 2000 (post-Blocker) to 2004 showed me that even though there were some crap parts in the show back then, it made me realise how watchable it was and how much structure and flow it had back then compared to now

Btw, on an unrelated note, when did that segment with Trevor Gillmeister take place (where he was at some function)? HAHAH! That was hilarious.
Gilly was at the Ekka, probably around 96 if i had to guess.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you ask me, far too many people take the show far too seriously.

It's a bit of fun on a Thursday night, a little bit of fun and some time to relax. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is.

Honestly, I'd miss it if it were gone, it's a nice way to kick back on a Thursday.

undertaker

Coach

There's been a lot of talk in the media recently of Matty's possible return to the Footy Show, but again, I can't see it happening after the way Ch9 handled his scandal 2 yrs ago. I remember in the weeks prior to the Rd 26 Knights/Penrith Sunday arvo game that year (which was the game that decided the last couple of positions in the top 8), the Vossy and Gus on the Sunday Roast kept making references to Matty. Then it was revealed in the newspaper that Gyngell was preparing Matty to make his comeback to the station by offering him a position on the commentary team for the Knights/Panthers match, which Matty declined. From the decision to turn the position down, that pretty much indicated to me that Matty had moved on and I would extremely surprised if his mind has changed since then (even though his tv show was canned after one year)

undertaker

Coach
The year fatty had his fall. Matty Johns took over for a few months and people realised how little Vautin actually offered. Once he returned everyone realised just how stale he had become, and that was the start of the slide. Matty getting the flick should probably have been the end of it (it should have been pulled at the end of 2009), but they just keep persisting with it. Fatty should have got the flick over 5 years ago now, yet he's the only one who seems to stay whilst the others around him keep changing. The answer has been obvious but it seems the clowns at 9 can't figure it out.

Yep, it's also become evident that Fatty has lost the authority and respect that he used to have as a host in the earlier years. Case in point being incidents such as Braith Anasta saying "I can't believe this show is still going" followed by stunned silence from Vautin. Also, Benji's told him off a few times as well.

Latest posts