What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

undertaker

Coach
Has merit.

He's not "one of the boys" though, so he wouldn't get a look in.

Yeah, although he has appeared on the show in the past, Ian Roberts had a falling out with the Footy Show over that "Elton Johns" comedy sketch (which, interestingly enough occured just before Matty Johns scandal came to light).

Didn't Ricky Stuart also have a falling out for a long time and actually walked out whilst the show was still live on-air?

Yep, it's also become evident that Fatty has lost the authority and respect that he used to have as a host in the earlier years. Case in point being incidents such as Braith Anasta saying "I can't believe this show is still going" followed by stunned silence from Vautin. Also, Benji's told him off a few times as well.

Sad thing now is it can't really be saved. No matter who they put on there, they've lost their core audience for good. Their best chance of rehashing it is clearing out EVERYONE and giving it a new name.

Brutus

Referee
Would be far better if the "fun" was actually funny.

It's all well and good having "fun", but it's got to be done well.

The Footy Show used to do it well once upon a time.

Mr Saab

Referee
Wasn't the Voss/Mario 'fight' thingy when Voss had a t-shirt with Mario's face on it teasing the shit out of it, then Mario walked over to his desk & chucked Voss' typewriter on the floor?

Close. It was a pair of underpants and Voss put his finger thru a hole in the front and Muz was not happy

And Hineyrulz....the Gilly Ekka was 1998

undertaker

Coach
Since they showed highlights of that piece involving the Axe at Ekkys (or wherever it is), I thought they would've also shown that infamous moment in '98 when they picked some random girl from the audience to lick cream off Blocker's and Laurie Daley's feet. hahaha! Oh, I remember there was a lot of controversy over this, with the Ch9 switchboards being inundated that night and talkback radio stations having a feeding frenzy over this incident the next day.

It's a shame that Blocker didn't feature prominently in the highlights package, yet they showed highlights involving Sterlo, Matt Johns, the Chief and even Mahatma Cote (all former members of the show). Maybe some audience members did request highlights of Blocker (e.g. the Kelloggs Special K anti-ad), but the powers that be at Ch9 rejected their requests. I still remember that bit from Street Talk involving Mahatma Cote and that old guy saying "Do you speak Australian? You don't look Australian to me!". The look on Fat Cat's face was priceless.

Btw, why isn't the Footy Show live anymore (whereas the AFL version is still live into Melbourne)? I know it was live until about 2008, but was there any particular reason they stopped broadcasting live?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Since they showed highlights of that piece involving the Axe at Ekkys (or wherever it is), I thought they would've also shown that infamous moment in '98 when they picked some random girl from the audience to lick cream off Blocker's and Laurie Daley's feet. hahaha! Oh, I remember there was a lot of controversy over this, with the Ch9 switchboards being inundated that night and talkback radio stations having a feeding frenzy over this incident the next day.

It's a shame that Blocker didn't feature prominently in the highlights package, yet they showed highlights involving Sterlo, Matt Johns, the Chief and even Mahatma Cote (all former members of the show). Maybe some audience members did request highlights of Blocker (e.g. the Kelloggs Special K anti-ad), but the powers that be at Ch9 rejected their requests. I still remember that bit from Street Talk involving Mahatma Cote and that old guy saying "Do you speak Australian? You don't look Australian to me!". The look on Fat Cat's face was priceless.

Btw, why isn't the Footy Show live anymore (whereas the AFL version is still live into Melbourne)? I know it was live until about 2008, but was there any particular reason they stopped broadcasting live?

Up until last year I always thought it was live, but Im not 100% on the reason, but could be because they wanted a younger live audience and the fact that Ch 9 have 20,000 ads in their show that could finish around 11.30, if not longer.

Im pretty sure theyve been told plenty of times not to show it again. It create the biggest headlines in the Footy Shows history which mightve prompted Hadley to quit at the end of the season.

I remember it was a contest for the Biggest Origin fan and what would they dare to do to be the biggest.

That random girl was a contender and sent a request to lick to feet of Noel Cleal. Clearly a NO NO NO. They showed it live but later censored it on the News and ACA.

Another particular incident that night was a woman in the audience (possibly in her 40s), also sent a request to lick body paint off
Laurie Daley, a guest panelist. As it turned out Daley was not impressed and looked totally embarassed.

It sparked huge controvesy and they decided to can the contest, even after another NSW fan decided to have a "cockroach" tatoo on her @rse.

But in the end the winners were from Queensland after 4 Maroons fans wanted to chain themselves to Wally's Statue at Suncorp, which at the time was inside the ground, and stayed there for 3 days.

wittyfan

Referee
Yeah, although he has appeared on the show in the past, Ian Roberts had a falling out with the Footy Show over that "Elton Johns" comedy sketch (which, interestingly enough occured just before Matty Johns scandal came to light).

Didn't Ricky Stuart also have a falling out for a long time and actually walked out whilst the show was still live on-air?

I would've thought the bridges with Roberts would've been mended when they interviewed a couple of gay rugby players a few weeks later.

nqcowboy87

Bench
fatty said he apreciated how good the reception for last weeks episode was, but thats cause people miss the old episode style

sammy thaiday "lockys last game in yellow boots"

vossy had a dig at toopi when he ws injured, poor form vossy poor form

BunniesMan

Immortal
Had it's moments but I didn't appreciate the replay of the semi nakedness on the bed with the chocolate being rubbed and dripped everywhere. That was kinda disgusting.

undertaker

Coach
Up until last year I always thought it was live, but Im not 100% on the reason, but could be because they wanted a younger live audience and the fact that Ch 9 have 20,000 ads in their show that could finish around 11.30, if not longer.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that during the Centenary year (2008) they stopped showing it live at 9:30pm. Either way, although the show had been declining long before 2008, broadcasting it live just gives it that different, unpredictable, 'edgy' feel to it (which is very evident when you watch the AFL version that has always been live into Melbourne, especially the parts involving Sam Newman) that it has somewhat lost since it's been broadcasted on delay. Also, I noticed compared to the early years, the size of the studio audience has decreased quite a lot.

But in the end the winners were from Queensland after 4 Maroons fans wanted to chain themselves to Wally's Statue at Suncorp, which at the time was inside the ground, and stayed there for 3 days.

Oh my goodness...I hadn't thought about that for soooooo many years and now you mentioned this, I instantly recalled that moment. That was pretty hardcore for them to stay chained for 3 days. Thanks for reminding me about this Parra_Fan! I have a lot of good memories from season '98, the last year before acrimony broke out between the cast.

But on the topic of Blocker, as I mentioned, they already showed highlights of Matty Johns and even Greg Ritchie (who got the arse twice), yet Blocker and Hadley didn't feature in the highlights (although they could be seen and heard on some clips, like when Mario got the flour dumped on his head). With Hadley, I completely understand why there were no highlights of him, as Fatty and Sterlo still are on bad terms with him (the only one I would've liked to have seen that I keep hearing about but didn't get to see was when he had that verbal stoush with John Ribot just after the SL war had errupted). But although he was the sidekick to Fatty and Sterlo when Hadley wasn't there in '97 and '99 (as well as second half of '96), Blocker did play a big role in the early years and was one of the reasons why the Footy Show became the household name and success it did (before it declined).

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think Hadley's been on the show twice since he officially left in 99, once in the studio in 2005 (obviously when Fatty was crook) and I think last year or the year before was a pre-recorded interview with Gould.

Not sure about Blocker but I remember when Robbo was interviewing past players, Im sure Blocker was one of them. Doesnt count though.

BunniesMan

Immortal
you were pulling yourself stupid

Pretending you weren't aroused won't help. We know you loved it.
Fruitcake #1 and Fruitcake #2, this is you:
gay-test-meme-generator-the-gay-test-you-failed-it-d3d43c.jpeg