What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Footy Show 2011 - New Year - New Ad - Same Crap

Engine

Juniors
that show last night disgraced everything about rugby league - from the game itself to the people that follow it.

when is any folk associated with rugby league in this country going to realise that the image of this sport continually holds it back from being the widely supported giant that it can be. Instead, the limelight always seems to focus on merkins who cant string a sentence, toilet humour, or belligerent personalities who always have a personal agenda.

The sport will never shake the stigma of being that game for the bogan working class if it continues like this.

Well done to you sir. The most intelligent post about rugby league in 2011.

that show last night disgraced everything about rugby league - from the game itself to the people that follow it.

Well done - top post!

I saw the 'opener' with all those songs - and of course it had to include swearing in it. The AFL version is so much better and the respective shows proved it.

And the ratings all year have been deplorable. They must be persisting with it purely for the TV rights contract. They could put repeats of CSI on and it would get more ratings.

I haven't watched many episodes but here are my comments:
- I don't mind Voss but the same gag can go too far. I do like the Stuffed You May have missed but stop repeating the same clip every second week.
- Fatty: gee he is struggling. Just retire to the Gold Coast.
- Brohman: yawn. How many fat jokes can there be, seriously? I have never understood the attraction of Brohman in the media, he isnt funny.
- Fittler: give up on the funny man act. It is not amusing and really, it is cringeworthy.

Really, Channel 9 should just dump the show. The anniversary show showed that it was a funny show many years ago - now it is just embarassing to the game.

Watching the afl show, compare how their players talk to how ours do....

Inu answered the first question with "yep"

EDIT - I read your next post and may have made a mistake. I thought you were criticising League players for being dumb or something, if not please discard my comments as I'm leaning towards having the wrong end of the stick, but will keep my message intact for anyone who does hold the opinion I figured you were holding

And what? Have you heard most soccer players or yank athletes talk?

Last i checked everyone else on that show was a League player, fan, pundit or authority and spoke perfectly good English.

Inu was obviously nervous and doesn't speak English the best, probably because of his background more than anything.

It annoys me greatly when people highlight League players who aren't overly articulate, but ignore all of those who are.

League has a great number of players from terrible backgrounds who've gone through plenty of difficult shit to get where they are - We should be celebrating that fact, not demeaning players because they weren't taught the difference between their, there and they're.

Go League. A working class game for working class people.

Last edited:
- I don't mind Voss but the same gag can go too far. I do like the Stuffed You May have missed but stop repeating the same clip every second week.

I think his segment shows how out of touch Channel 9 are. Some of the content went viral on the internet back in the days of geocities and floppy disks :lol:

I'm by no means some sort of l33t internet user, but how can you not have seen half the shit Voss puts on stuff you may have missed? It's become far too much about non league stuff aswell

I agree with everything you say but Fittler. Fittler is funny, it's just the people around him make you salty and critical before he gets a turn

What you need is a balance. Someone like Fittler with someone like Sterling to even it out.

Notice the Sunday Footy Show is very good because there's a genuine mix of humour and football

The Footy Show proper has neither.

all subjective, of course, but Fittler can be hugely funny alongside the right people. He'll make a good colour commentator or pundit if put next to someone like Sterling who's serious about his football. His genius is wasted with the merkins on the footy show

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Can't beliueve there's anyone bagging the AFL after last night.

Their Footy Show is so ridiculously superior to ours it's sickening.

Our show is like a car crash in slow motion. The worst show on television at the moment. Just f**king terrible.

The AFL footy show is everything we could be and should be. They talk about football, including not skipping over the big issues and breaking news, plus they put just enough humour in to keep it ticking over.

STORM.99/07

Bench
the nrl footy show is so EMBARRASSING. the panel should watch the afl footy show and follow the format of that show,THEY ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT THE FOOTY.I hope next season they drop the ghastly beau ryan segment.SO BAD.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Dump it or change it drastically. Have 9 got some sort of loyalty complex to the show and keeping it going?

IMO dump Fatty and Brohman. Bring in Matty (beg, plead whatever) and Sterlo.

Recorded the AFL show and watched it on friday. Has the feel of a big time sport and is profesionally done even if the humour is repetitive.

The GamePlan also shits on the footy show from on high.

undertaker

Coach
Dump it or change it drastically. Have 9 got some sort of loyalty complex to the show and keeping it going?

IMO dump Fatty and Brohman. Bring in Matty (beg, plead whatever) and Sterlo.

Recorded the AFL show and watched it on friday. Has the feel of a big time sport and is profesionally done even if the humour is repetitive.

The GamePlan also shits on the footy show from on high.

100% agreed with the part in bold. Getting rid of Fatty alone isn't going to solve the problem if the other dropkicks still remain. In fact, it is because of the prescence of them that has, to a large extent, contributed to the decline in Fatty's performance. Yes, like the majority of you, I believe the Fatman is well and truly past his use-by-date as host and he should just enjoy his retirement on the Gold Coast. I don't need to go into the reasons why, as they've been repeated by all of you multiple times in this thread.

However, I'd also do away with the entire panel (which has been just as much of a problem as the host):

- Brohman (adds absolutely no value to the show. To reiterate what someone else said, I don't see why he is so highly revered in the media besides the fact that he is 40kg overweight which is not something to be proud of)

- Freddy (Champion player at Penrith/Easts. However, saying only a few words at the beginning and then being MIA throughout the vast remainder of the show just isn't up to standard for someone who is a permanent pannelist)

- Beau Ryan (the whole "DOGGIEEEEEEEZ" schtick has gone drier than a dead dingo's donger. His "Beau Knows" segments in the beginning were very good, but it's amazing to see how much of a dramatic decline he has taken this year. His stale performance in the intro of the GF show pretty much was the icing on the cake for me)

- Mario (I'm sure he is a nice bloke in real life. However, like Brohman, adds nothing to the show. Fatty et al. are still playing the same pranks on him from 1998. Also, hackneyed expressions such as "FAT! FAT! FAT!", "HOW ABOUT THAT, FAT?", "AT THE END OF THE DAY..." etc.)

I'd keep Vossy on the condition that he doesn't flog a dead horse every 2nd week. We didn't need to see Nathan Gardner's arse ad nauseum after it happened, as well as showing that streaker in the Tiger/Warriors SF in consecutive weeks.

Also, take a lesson from the AFL show: get guests who are articulate. No, they don't need to be Oxford University graduates in English, but don't just pluck any random player onto the panel for interviews. I noticed that the AFL show has a core set of players (former and current) they choose on the panel (Jonathan Brown, Bryce Gibbs, Barry Hall, Nick Dal Santo, Shane Crawford, Billy Brownless etc.), all who can be easily understood and don't say "ummmmmmmmm/aaaaaaaahhh........" throughout every sentence.

undertaker

Coach
How f**king funny was the St KIlda song at the start of the AFL Footy Show. I was in tears.

:lol::lol::lol:With the exception of Sam Newman's Peter Garrett impersonation, the other skits were mildly humourous up until the St Kilda parody (which was the last one). They definitely saved the best for last and absolutely nailed it! Laughed my head when I saw it. Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRMVTPKbzcQ

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Something else that caught my attention:

The Footy Show Nine 973,000 152,000 507,000 116,000 128,000 71,000
The Footy Show Late Nine 225,000 47,000 127,000 21,000 21,000 8,000

The ratings for the show in Melbourne at 11:30pm (just after their show, which went for approx. 3 hours) were nearly the same as the ratings in Sydney at 9:30pm. 127000 at 11:30pm is very impressive.

wittyfan

Referee
Over at BigPoofy there were a few in the thread that was discussing the AFL Footy Show Grand Final edition that actually prefer the NRL version and find it funny.

Maybe we're just tired of our own versions of the Footy Show!

And my highlight of the NRL Footy Show for the year was the April 14, 2011 episode which managed to break the record for the lowest rating episode in Sydney with 98,000. The old record was 110,000 for the August 14, 2008 episode.

Brutus

Referee
Something else that caught my attention:

The Footy Show Nine 973,000 152,000 507,000 116,000 128,000 71,000
The Footy Show Late Nine 225,000 47,000 127,000 21,000 21,000 8,000

The ratings for the show in Melbourne at 11:30pm (just after their show, which went for approx. 3 hours) were nearly the same as the ratings in Sydney at 9:30pm. 127000 at 11:30pm is very impressive.

I accidently IQ'd the AFL footy show as well and just watched parts of it.

It was crap, but I must say the dancing skits at the end were high quality.

They really put a lot of time and effort into it.

The NRL Footy Show GF skits at the start of the show were appalling. I don't know why they bother. Same old shit.

Get the players doing some stuff. I'm sure a few of them can dance.

Latest posts