What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

gronkathon

First Grade
Commercial networks whine and cry about the use of illegal streams. But when they won't show the game live into a key target market what choice do people have?

El Diablo

Post Whore
the tv networks are the ones that whinged so they could show sport on their ther other channels

Conroy would let them but 9 refuse to ask

they did ask him for the Union though

9 suck

gsweeper

Juniors
Absolutely ripped into them on WWOS and the 9 fb page. I lived in melbourne on and off for a couple of years and it was hell trying to watch a game of footy. I know how it feels, absolute crap. Nine are so greedy its ridiculous.

Cletus

First Grade
the tv networks are the ones that whinged so they could show sport on their ther other channels

Conroy would let them but 9 refuse to ask

they did ask him for the Union though

9 suck

They are showing Aus vs Russia live on Gem into Melbourne yet they can't show this fridays game. Imagine the ratings bonanza for that one!

The Storm truly deserve better coverage so keep on flooding channel 9 and get the message across, I mean the friggin Suns & Lions get shown here live in QLD every week in and out no matter there position on the ladder and get advertised to the hilt despite drawing bad ratings. If only Storm got the same treatment in Victoria, as shown when the Storm is shown live and fans are given notice of it through advertising they rate better than the Swans in Sydney.

nyx

Juniors
maybe there is something in the print version as this was posted on 9's facebook
I think they're referring to this article but it is only a single paragraph at the end.

MELBOURNE fans will again be robbed of a chance to watch the game live with Channel 9 opting to show re-runs of Two And A Half Men, The Mentalist and CSI before an 11.30pm viewing of the game.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...manly-sea-eagles/story-e6frfgbo-1226119943527

Chook Norris

First Grade
wow lol just read the facebook page. Channel nein are getting absolutely destroyed :lol:

.. and they can't even be fked to respond to any of those comments

Last edited:

babyg

Juniors
The Storm truly deserve better coverage so keep on flooding channel 9 and get the message across, I mean the friggin Suns & Lions get shown here live in QLD every week in and out no matter there position on the ladder and get advertised to the hilt despite drawing bad ratings. If only Storm got the same treatment in Victoria, as shown when the Storm is shown live and fans are given notice of it through advertising they rate better than the Swans in Sydney.

I say we start flooding Channel 7 and 10 so they know that this is happenning and that they know there really is a market down there in Vic. Nine clearly don't want to open the can of worms that is live ratings in Melbourne for fear of increasing the value of RL. We need to show other evidence that the product is valued.

docbrown

Coach
Well Mark Geyer got back to me pretty quick on the matter. Turns out he's not under contract with Nine (he must do the Roast for free or just to promote his radio work). Either way he's got no pull but said he's dissapointed like the rest of us. Still I told him he should be using what influence he did have to get something to happen.

Really the man we need to be putting pressure is the new programming director Andrew Backwell.

azza29

Juniors
It's not as though Storm fans are asking for all that much, we just want the handful of Storm games that Nine picks up each year to be broadcast live, even if it's only on GEM.

If they can't do that then they should offer the game to the ABC or SBS to broadcast live.

Use it or lose it, 9.

hutch

First Grade
The wide world of sports page is getting absolutely hammered! If we ever needed proof that there is an agenda against rugby league by the very media company who are meant to be promoting the sport, surely this is it. Just show the game on one of your other channels, how hard is it?

LESStar58

Referee
I emailed the club and asked them what was being done about this. I was told that they were considering making a complaint to Nine. Guess what, Storm; we've been complaining since 1998. What a futile exercise.

Anyways, it's being shown live at the Rising Sun in Richmond I'm told.

Billythekid

First Grade
Holy crap at their facebook pages. I thought it would all just be comments form people on this forum, i didn't expect there to be so many different people. Maybe the demand is bigger than i thought?

Also i wonder if they even care about the bad rep their getting? Anyone who looks at their facebook pages is going to see nothing bad negative responses.

Pretty awesome to see people saying something.

flamin

Juniors
Channel 9's facebook page is amazing. :shock:

Is it possible for them to ignore so many people complaining?

Latest posts