What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
i don't think it matters what it's up against, there will be more than enough people in Melbourne to justify showing it on a multi channel. If it gets 60,000 then they won't lose any share. I just think it would have been a shame for Melbourne fans to miss out on the biggest game of the year because of Nine's stubbornness.

i think you missed what i meant

9 advertise NRL programming on their AFL show when you can pretty much guarantee most watching won't tune in as they are AFL fans who will watch the AFL on at the same time

it would be like Karl Stefanovic promoting Sunrise on the Today show

Last edited:

azza29

Juniors
Storm just tweeted that the Storm v Dragons match was the 2nd highest ever rating regular season match with 1.44m.

C'mon Nine, show Melbourne some RL love, even if it is on the ladies' channel.

docbrown

Coach
Storm just tweeted that the Storm v Dragons match was the 2nd highest ever rating regular season match with 1.44m.

And it could have cracked 1.6 million if it had been shown in Melbourne.

Channel 9's excuse for denying Storm games in Melbourne was that it affects crowds - yet they're refuse to show their Manly away game.

There are no excuses. Nine are just pathetic and any rugby league identities who work for them and allow this to continue are also at fault - especially one in particular who I quizzed who hasn't bothered to take any action on this front.

They have chosen their loyalty to the network over the game.

Gutless is a word that comes to mind.

juro

Bench
I wonder what all these channel 9 rugby league commentators are going to do if 9 lose the rights. How easy will it be for them to jump to another channel? How much loyalty should they show to their employer? How much loyalty do they think their employer will show to them?

firechild

First Grade
What use would channel 9 have for someone like Peter Sterling if they lose the rights? I can understanding them keeping Ray Warren given that he does the calling for the swimming but really, is that enough to keep him there? What about someone like Brad Fittler or Andrew Johns? The Footy Show would go, though I suspect it's already on its way given the fact it has turned to absolute rubbish since Sterling left.

duylm

Juniors
Didn't 9 state that "Nine will not be losing the rugby league rights"

I beg to differ.

They can keep their primetime Union, see how that works out for them :D

LESStar58

Referee
What is Channel 9 likely to do FTA-wise for Melbourne Storm semi finals?

I think we should hit these pricks up early about this issue.

In 2009 the prelim against Brisbane was on the same day as the fumbles and feebles decider. It was shown live. The first week against Manly was delayed.

As for this year; Storm will have the Sunday arvo final on account of first place finish. Who knows what way NEIN will go with that. If they make the prelim there's a better than average chance that they'll show it live.

azza29

Juniors
As for this year; Storm will have the Sunday arvo final on account of first place finish. Who knows what way NEIN will go with that. If they make the prelim there's a better than average chance that they'll show it live.

The way the AFL ladder is shaping up, the Storm final may well be up against a Carlton/Essendon blockbuster (damn... both teams make the finals and they end up playing at the same time!).

Can't see Nine broadcasting a live final against that.

LESStar58

Referee
No skin off my teeth. I'll be puttin' my hand in my pocket and buying a finals ticket. Still pretty pathetic if Nine don't get on board.

undertaker

Coach

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I agree, that 1.6 million+ would've been achievable had it been shown live in Melbourne. Btw, out of curiosity, what is the highest rating regular season match?

undertaker

Coach
Another Storm game, believe it or not. Storm Tigers Rnd 1 '07 1.56.

really? But, the Storm/Dragons game was shown live into NSW/QLD, whereas Storm/Tigers was only shown live into NSW/Melbourne and on delay in Queensland (Broncos/Cowboys being the live QLD game)

Latest posts