What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maintain the rage people!

Crashing their Facebook site will make them sit up eventually. every post about any program they make, reply with a comment about NRL covg.

Gallop remains eeerily silent

Maintain the rage people!

Crashing their Facebook site will make them sit up eventually. every post about any program they make, reply with a comment about NRL covg.

Gallop remains eeerily silent

2rwn5m1.jpg

inb4 El Diablo - couldn't help it....

nko11

Juniors
Me thinks a coordinated strike is in order? Tomorrow (Thursday) 7:30 perhaps. Get as many people to strike at that one time, will probably be most effective.

bobmar28

Bench
I think televising of the NRL matches is far below what most people would call satisfactory. Sure, they can't televise every single game on every single weekend, but they can do a better job at Channel 9. I'd also like to see fewer commercial breaks, especially when we have a try scored and we come back to a replay of the conversion kick about two or three tackles into the next play following the restart kick. That's simply annoying!

Can't stand ads on FTA? Get Foxtel. Personally I don't mind ads in a live game, if it means league gets the billion dollar contract.

the nine network are in for a shock if they think they will be able to do this in the next contract - assuming they win the rights.

Last edited:

smithie

Juniors
Storm brewing over NRL delays in Melbourne

NRL fans in Melbourne are campaigning for Nine to screen a match between top teams Melbourne Storm and Manly earlier than its scheduled timeslot of 11:30pm.

Instead it will screen Two and a Half Men, The Mentalist, CSI and CSI: Miami.

On its Wide World of Sports Facebook page, fans have let fly:

Andrew Blair: Wide World of Sports? Obviously not wide enough as apparently GTV9 don’t think Rugby League is a worthy sport to show live! Show the Melbourne Storm vs Manly Sea Eagles game live on Friday!!!

Brad Hopkins: Wide World of Sports (If you live in NSW or Qld)…

Aaron McConnell: C’mon 9 – Manly v Melbourne is a top-of-the-table clash and a likely grand final preview. Surely it’s worth putting this live in Melbourne?

Nick Smith: channel 9 are a disgrace to rugby league !! cant wait to you lose the rights!!

Quan Dang: What a joke…. Re-runs of two and a half men over Melb V Manly… U folks at channel 9 continue to neglect Rugby League in Melb at ur own peril!

Melbourne Storm has also issued a statement to its members: “It goes without saying that we too are deeply disappointed that this game will not be broadcast live on the Nine Network Friday.

“Unfortunately the decision is not ours, it rests solely with the Nine Network. We have been in constant communication with Nine again this week in an attempt to get the match broadcast, but to no avail. There is nothing more this Club can do in this instance.”

On Saturday the Tri-Nations rugby union match will screen live on GEM, but fans are upset the NRL won’t get the same multichannel treatment. Such a move would require an exemption from the Minister for Communication, Stephen Conroy.

While Nine is in a crucial ratings fight with Seven this week, it isn’t taking any risks with bold programming moves. On Friday Seven will also have a Collingwood vs Geelong match live in Melbourne.

Media buying guru Harold Mitchell says parties negotiating the next TV rights deal had to be realistic.

“They have to work on that flexibility rather than try for the impossible, which just won’t be done. If you try and make too many demands of the network, you won’t get anywhere,” he told the Herald Sun.

“The high watermark is the AFL, and they achieved their result with a great sense of co-operation with their media partner.”

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/08...-melbourne.html/comment-page-1#comment-274297

Frailty

First Grade
Harold Mitchell said:
“They have to work on that flexibility rather than try for the impossible, which just won’t be done. If you try and make too many demands of the network, you won’t get anywhere,” he told the Herald Sun.

“The high watermark is the AFL, and they achieved their result with a great sense of co-operation with their media partner.”

Interesting... So the code that demands live TV in Sydney and Brisbane, and maintains the control over scheduling is more cooperative than the code that does neither... Interesting!

juro

Bench
How can they argue that it is impossible when the bloody AFL have been doing it for years, getting ordinary ratings... and they just got a larger TV deal???

This is just laughable!

Brutus

Referee
478657-david-gallop.jpg

This is what Mr Gallop said when quizzed on radio in 2008 about the use it or lose it issue.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=201845&highlight=use+it+OR+lose+it+gallop+sbs

Here's the transcript from the David Gallop talkback segment on 2SM today.

Nick: I just want to ask you a question regarding the coverage of Melbourne Storm games. I'm reminded of an article on the 28th of April titled "Angry Gallop Threat to 9 Use It or Lose It", it was basically about Channel 9 Melbourne's inability to broadcast, or choosing not to broadcast Melbourne Storm matches at a decent time. Now that was on the 28th of April last year, what I want to now is that why more than 13 months later nothing seems to have been done about this, despite the fact the Storm have been going scintillatingly brilliant over the last few years their fans can't even watch their team at a decent time.

Mr Gallop: Yeah they've certainly improved things and and um I guess Origin is an example of of Nine in Melbourne committing to live Origin. Ummm we ....ahhhhh... saw the start of the of the year with um Melbourne Storm actually being live... ummm... we're always pushing for it, but the fact is Channel 9 want something on on Friday night that is going to rate and ahhh we're continuing to build interest in the game but we're not quite at a point where we can expect to be in prime time.

Nick: Sorry, I'll just quickly say that in this article Mr Gallop you have said that the possibility of ABC or SBS possibly televising matches if Channel 9 wasn't able to meet that commitment.

Mr Gallop: Yeah and they are now meeting their contractual commitment. Umm of course we'd like it to be on earlier, but ahh you know it's not possible at the moment.

Graeme: Thank you Nick

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I'd still like to know how they know it won't rate in prime time if it's never shown. And they obviously can't care enough about ratings if they put the yawnion on GEM

El Diablo

Post Whore

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Yes it should be made plain to the LU community that any article quoting Harold Mitchell should be dismissed outright. The conflict of interest is laughable and Russell Gould should hang his head in shame.

juro

Bench
Have they deleted them or just hidden them? At first I thought they had all gone, but then I noticed the default had switched to just showing Channel9 posts instead of showing everyone's like before.

JW

Coach
Have they deleted them or just hidden them? At first I thought they had all gone, but then I noticed the default had switched to just showing Channel9 posts instead of showing everyone's like before.

Yeah, that looks right.

The next step will be changing the settings to prohibit people making new posts, where you can only comment on the ones they've made.

Anyone who's on there though, just keep flogging the pricks. This is awesome to watch.

Latest posts