What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

bileduct

Coach
86k, what a disgrace for a club that has enjoyed the "success" that they have had.

But somehow it will be Gallop's fault for Melbournians choosing not to tune in to a live FINALS game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
86k, what a disgrace for a club that has enjoyed the "success" that they have had.

But somehow it will be Gallop's fault for Melbournians choosing not to tune in to a live FINALS game.

3920.jpeg

Mr Twig

Ch9 will probably show next saturdays Storm game live in primetime.

Here's your chance Melbourne. You need to beat 139k

afinalsin666

First Grade
If the game ended 10-20 minutes before afl kicked off, I reckon we could have got a fair decent audience. Even the live crowd could have been boosted, so the part time Storm fans could have walked across the road to catch the afl after full time. Hope 9 and the NRL lets storm play earlier. There would be a bit of redemption for the crappy audience last week.

big_matt

Juniors
Ch9 will probably show next saturdays Storm game live in primetime.

Here's your chance Melbourne. You need to beat 139k

Why do we 'need to beat 139k'?

I'd hope lots of people actually go to the game if they live in Melbourne rather than staying at home and watching on tv. And I don't really understand why we suddenly have to 'beat' anything. Building a tv following in a new market takes a very long time (maybe a generation) so given that we've pretty much had zero tv coverage we are starting from nothing and it will take a while (and lots of promotion) to build up respectable coverage numbers.

It's hilarious that channel nine show almost no league here for 10 years then come out and express their disappointment with 86k viewing figures! Do they think all of a sudden 500k people who have never seen this sport on tv before will suddenly have the urge to be glued to it on their tv sets for an afternoon? Ridiculous. I don't know who has less brain cells - Gallop or Nein.

Can the people expecting these huge viewing figures in Melb on the back of zero previous tv coverage or marketing suggest an international example of where this has happened please.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i don't get all these articles bagging 86,000 http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/nrl-dodges-crowds-ratings-bullet-20110918-1kfub.html

a. it was better than the 66,000 the Yawnion got in Melbourne on the same day

b. it is higher than the Swans average in Sydney

c. 9 only gave two days notice and did not promote it

d. this from June 19

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/06/week-26-4.html

14 Nine’s Sunday Football Nine 558,000 325,000 86,000 147,000 *** ***
20 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 13: Carlton Vs Sydney Seven 386,000 85,000 270,000 32,000 *** ***

Billythekid

First Grade

That success counts for practically nothing. Not only have all the premierships been removed but during all that time the storm received bugger all coverage on tv.

How was the club supposed to capitalize on it's success if they can't even get shown on FTA?

You're also ignoring the fact that the game wasn't advertised at all. More importantly though most tv guides weren't even displaying the correct match time until the day before and some never even changed.

Well it is. Because of how inept our leaders have been we haven't been able to get any FTA coverage in Melbourne not even on the multi channels.

You're right, they're the ones all through this forum who expect that Gallop has the power to force Channel 9 into a commercially unviable situation overnight.

Commercially unviable? What the f*ck are you talking about. Showing a storm game live into Melbourne every 2 weeks is hardly going to ruin the network. The storm have already shown they can out rate the crap 9 usually show.

Even if that wasn't true they could just show it on one of their other channels which get barely any ratings.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
That success counts for practically nothing. Not only have all the premierships been removed but during all that time the storm received bugger all coverage on tv.

How was the club supposed to capitalize on it's success if they can't even get shown on FTA?
Didn't bother reading any further than this.

Your games are shown on FTA, dumbass. Maybe not at the time you'd like them to be, but they are shown.

Furthermore, your team had more FTA games than mine did, so get the f**k out of here.

Billythekid

First Grade
Didn't bother reading any further than this.

Yeah it must be hard to hard more than a few lines. You're barely worth responding too if you aren't going to even bother reading peoples posts.

Your games are shown on FTA, dumbass. Maybe not at the time you'd like them to be, but they are shown.

Oh come the f*ck on. That barely even counts as being shown and the only people who will be willing to stay up past midnight to watch the game are the die hard fans. We are talking about trying to grow an audience, of course this won't happen with games being shown that late.

Considering the quality of your posts you sure like talking down to people.

Furthermore, your team had more FTA games than mine did, so get the f**k out of here.

Who is your team? You may not get on FTA as much as the storm but i can guarantee that you get much more live NRL coverage than Melbourne do.

Also even if we had more FTA games than you did that's irrelevant because they weren't shown in Melbourne until midnight anyway.

bileduct

Coach
Who is your team? You may not get on FTA as much as the storm but i can guarantee that you get much more live NRL coverage than Melbourne do.
Canberra Raiders, and no, you're wrong. My team didn't have a live game on FTA all year.*

Edit: * Actually I am probably wrong here, or at least it was a Sunday game delayed by an hour and it was at Canberra Stadium.
Also even if we had more FTA games than you did that's irrelevant because they weren't shown in Melbourne until midnight anyway.
Excuse me?

My team gets one, maybe two FTA games a year. Do you know what that means? That means that in order for me to watch my team play away games AT ALL I either have to get a Foxtel subscription or drive to a club somewhere to watch the game.

At least your club gets the opportunity to be exposed to FTA viewers on a regular basis.

But hey, just about every other club in the NRL have been f**ked over at the expense of the Storm so why the f**k should I start caring about that now.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Maybe you should get a Foxtel subscription... Oh that's right, the Storm don't want to play Saturday afternoon games so that kinda puts limits on your opportunities there, doesn't it.

bileduct

Coach
As suspected, I was wrong. However, note the headline and first paragraph.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-time-since-2008/story-e6frexnr-1226022128664

Canberra Raiders to feature in Friday night NRL match for first time since 2008
Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph March 16, 2011 12:00AM

AFTER a 1022-day wait, the Raiders are finally back on free-to-air television for a Friday night game at Canberra Stadium.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...raiders-push-for-freetoair-games/1797372.aspx

Raiders push for free-to-air games
08 Apr, 2010 08:02 AM

Raiders chief Don Furner believes his club deserves more free-to-air coverage, after promising ratings during last week's loss to Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium.

More than 723,000 people tuned in to Channel Nine to watch the Sunday afternoon fixture. It was the Raiders' first free-to-air home game in two years and the third time they had been free to air since the start of the 2009 season.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Canberra Raiders, and no, you're wrong. My team didn't have a live game on FTA all year.*

Edit: * Actually I am probably wrong here, or at least it was a Sunday game delayed by an hour and it was at Canberra Stadium.

Excuse me?

You misread what i wrote. What i'm saying is that even if Canberra don't get shown on FTA you still get to see live NRL on FTA. It's not as good as getting Canberra games shown but it's better than nothing and still helps build a general interest in the sport.

My team gets one, maybe two FTA games a year. Do you know what that means? That means that in order for me to watch my team play away games AT ALL I either have to get a Foxtel subscription or drive to a club somewhere to watch the game.

Which is exactly the same situation for storm fans except they don't get any NRL on FTA. The raiders may be given a pretty crappy deal but that doesn't change the storm situation one bit.

At least your club gets the opportunity to be exposed to FTA viewers on a regular basis.

Have you been reading my posts at all? Who the f*ck cares if the storm are on FTA if they aren't shown into Melbourne?

It doesn't matter if the storm are on FTA every single week if the games aren't shown in Melbourne until after midnight.

In fact right now the storm are better off not being on FTA so that the game can be shown live into Melbourne.

But hey, just about every other club in the NRL have been f**ked over at the expense of the Storm so why the f**k should I start caring about that now.

This is just irrelevant drivel but considering your username i shouldn't be surprised by the amount of bile you're spewing.

Maybe you should get a Foxtel subscription... Oh that's right, the Storm don't want to play Saturday afternoon games so that kinda puts limits on your opportunities there, doesn't it.

What the hell does that even mean? Oh and btw i live in Newcastle and have fox. That means nothing because we're talking about the storms ability to build an audience with casual fans in Melbourne, not about my personal ability to be able to watch the storm.

Maybe if you weren't so busy trying to make this so personal you would actual be able to understand the argument being made.

Cletus

First Grade

You realise Fox dont show games until 9 have finished don't you you braindead f**k? Try following a team in " the AFL states" and you'll realise how hard it is, there's nothing on before midnight and I've got a pot of respect for the Storm fans because of that. If you moved to SA there would be literally no Canberra games for the year, think about how you'd cope with that.