What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

big_matt

Juniors
this is why we must ditch 9 and go with 10

Saturday Night AFL Live on ONE in Sydney this weekend.

7 and 10 promote and show the sports they have the rights to

9 promote AFL

I don't have a problem with 9 or anyone else promoting any sports into Sydney or Melb.

What I do have a problem with is 9 showing 4 year old episodes of two and a half men instead of NRL in Melbourne etc. A channel that does that is quite clearly not a suitable partner for the NRL going forward.

I read an article recently saying that the NFL in America thinks tv exposure is the no.1 critical factor in making franchises in tough new markets successful. Show the locals what they are missing and they will come along.

9 has refused to promote the game in Victoria (and other states) at all costs and should be ruled out of bidding for the next contract unless they contractually agree to change that.

The NRL will be weak again though and let the chosen broadcaster off with anything.

9 are petty and small minded - a throwback to the old days of tv.

They would rather get destroyed in the ratings than get narrowly beaten by putting up 'their' sport against another sport.

Most modern tv stations around the world see building for future audience numbers as integral to what they are doing (i.e. they'll take a hit now so that in 5 years time they have a winner) but 9 only sees this weeks numbers.

I'm not even how they are allowed to call themselves the wide world of sports when 4 year old repeats of 2 and a half men is shown regularly before huge games from one of Australia's biggest sports. Very strange.

Interesting post.

Didn't Nein have the rights to Seinfeld, played it at shit hours and dropped it for Ten to pick up and profit the balls off it?

Sign of things to come.

roarr

Juniors
Whats gonna happen next year? Didnt seven and foxtel get all the AFL rights (i think?)... wouldnt that logically mean that nine will push NRL seeing as it's there only domestic footy weapon?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Whats gonna happen next year? Didnt seven and foxtel get all the AFL rights (i think?)... wouldnt that logically mean that nine will push NRL seeing as it's there only domestic footy weapon?

why?

9 don't do it now

9 have more hours dedicated to promoting AFL than RL

franklin2323

Immortal
Storm got 86,000 in Melbourne
Last week, Nine News @ 5 and Postcards got 155,000
They're getting lower audiences by showing Storm games.

What did GO & GEM get?? Under 86,000?? So playing league regularly there will rate better then current programming.

Brutus

Referee
The NRL will be weak again though and let the chosen broadcaster off with anything.

This simply cannot happen and why one DG shouldn't go anywhere near the broadcast negotiations. I keep reading his name and broadcast negotiations in the same sentence and it's concerning.

This should be Gary Pemberton's domain. He should be our TV broadcast man after his Sydney Olympics broadcast negotiation experience.

Gallop always sticks up for the TV stations and never the game when it comes to Melb RL coverage (with the exception of use it or lose it lol).

Pembo is our man...we can only hope.

Last edited:

babyg

Juniors
Check out what 9 Wide World of Sports is telling its Melbourne viewers.

Wide World of Sports The match will be delayed into Melbourne from 11:30. Until then, sports fans will more than likely be tuning into the Hawks v Sydney clash at the MCG.35 minutes ago · Like

El Diablo

Post Whore
FMD

WWOS post this shit on facebook

Wide World of Sports
The Rugby League Finals continue on Channel9 tonight from 7:30 in what promises to be a high-scoring affair between the NZ Warriors and the West Tigers! Promises to be an expansive an entertaining game that shouldn't be missed.

Susan Storm Or midnight if you live in VIC, SA or WA. :-(

Wide World of Sports The match will be delayed into Melbourne from 11:30. Until then, sports fans will more than likely be tuning into the Hawks v Sydney clash at the MCG.

juro

Bench
Jees, they're pathetic. Why don't they just show the test pattern in Melbourne whenever there is AFL on?

docbrown

Coach
Check out what 9 Wide World of Sports is telling its Melbourne viewers.

Wide World of Sports The match will be delayed into Melbourne from 11:30. Until then, sports fans will more than likely be tuning into the Hawks v Sydney clash at the MCG.35 minutes ago · Like

Code for: "Yes we at Channel Nine are incompetent. We would like to encourage you to watch a rival network instead."

Billythekid

First Grade
So they won't show the NRL up against the AFL because it won't rate. Instead they will show some crappy repeat that also will not rate.

Also doesn't the AFL start at 8.30? This is the worst part about all this is that in general we get a whole hour before the AFL even starts. Who knows maybe you will pick up some of the casual AFL fan base whilst they wait for their game.

I almost feel like the NRL should just start our games at 7.00 so the excuse of competing against AFL is gone completely (i know this can't and won't happen).

Edit:Who owns channel 9? Aren't they pissed reading how their executives are deliberately losing ratings simply because they are AFL fans? Surely someone must care that one of the biggest programs on a rival code is being promoted so heavily on 9.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
What a disgrace, how can this continue to go unmentioned by the media? Someone get MG, the ABC, anyone on this and get a response from Gallop.

juro

Bench
Latest from WWOS Facebook

Wide World of Sports Audiences for the finals last week - aside from the Melbourne game - were incredibly low in Melbourne. Even the live Storm game got a very small audience compared to all other AFL matches. As you're obviously a Tigers fan we can appreciate your being annoyed at this situation, however from a business perspective the team in programming can't see tonight's live broadcast as a viable option into Melbourne.

El Diablo

Post Whore
yet they'll show Yawnion on GEM which rated 20k less

they also gave no notice of the Storm game being shown. that was their intention from the beginning as we have seen all year

announce a game will be shown only 2 days before then say it didn't rate

9 are merkins

Latest posts