What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

Cletus

First Grade
I actually follow AFL (sue me), most likely because it was on TV when I was growing up (northern NSW, for some weird reason we picked up Brisbane TV), so I could watch it and get into it. As long as I can recall (back to about 1990), the Saturday afternoon match of the day was broadcast live by channel 7 in Brisbane, and I believe the Friday night game a late replay (as it is now), and the Sunday arvo game was also live. Not sure when the Saturday night games started (some point in the 90s). I'm guessing this broadcasting 3-4 games a week coincided with the introduction of the Bears in 1987.

I mention this as a contrast to the coverage of Rugby League in Melbourne since the Storm came into the comp in 1998. The fact we're 13 years down the line and the coverage in Melbourne is probably the same, if not worse, than what you would have got in Sydney and Brisbane for the AFL circa 1980, and certainly vastly inferior to what was available in Brisbane in 2000 (13 years after the Bears/Lions were introduced).

I think it all comes back to the fact TV in Australia has always been run out of Melbourne. Perhaps it's Melbourne getting us all back for not being chosen as the capital city post Federation.

Spot on, there are plenty of live games on fta and they still complain about it. There is no league on at all in the southern states! Channel Nine have to go.

El Diablo

Post Whore
What shits me about that stupid f**ked up geniused whinge from an obvious person with Victorian blood is she's using the term FOOTY to describe flogball.

She is writing for a f**king Brisbane paper - a city where the main dose of footy is rugby league.

Arrogant Victorian writing for the Victorian population in Brisbane.

Brisbane people couldn't give a f**k about Collingwood v St Killed her

And they can watch the friggin thing live on Main Event anyway.

How much do these f**k tards want!!!!

Courier Mail - The Victorian Newsletter.

she had a whinge in Julyhttp://www.news.com.au/afl-fan-marg...eavyweight-clash/story-e6freoof-1226090490211

Brutus

Referee
What is Channel 9 likely to do FTA-wise for Melbourne Storm semi finals?

I think we should hit these pricks up early about this issue.

Paullyboy

Coach
I guess if you've got people infiltrating top positions throughout the Australian media, you are destined to get away with murder - as the AFL must clearly do by paying 9 to screw over league. AFL and North Korea would get along real well.

undertaker

Coach
I actually follow AFL (sue me), most likely because it was on TV when I was growing up (northern NSW, for some weird reason we picked up Brisbane TV), so I could watch it and get into it. As long as I can recall (back to about 1990), the Saturday afternoon match of the day was broadcast live by channel 7 in Brisbane, and I believe the Friday night game a late replay (as it is now), and the Sunday arvo game was also live. Not sure when the Saturday night games started (some point in the 90s). I'm guessing this broadcasting 3-4 games a week coincided with the introduction of the Bears in 1987.

I mention this as a contrast to the coverage of Rugby League in Melbourne since the Storm came into the comp in 1998. The fact we're 13 years down the line and the coverage in Melbourne is probably the same, if not worse, than what you would have got in Sydney and Brisbane for the AFL circa 1980, and certainly vastly inferior to what was available in Brisbane in 2000 (13 years after the Bears/Lions were introduced).

I think it all comes back to the fact TV in Australia has always been run out of Melbourne. Perhaps it's Melbourne getting us all back for not being chosen as the capital city post Federation.

Growing up in the Hunter region during the '90s (I'm 24), I'll tell you the situation regarding the broadcasting of AFL there (until I moved down to Sydney 5 years ago).

I recall that when I started watching league around 1995/96, Prime (the local affiliate of Ch7) always showed Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo AFL live, regardless of whether the Sydney Swans were playing or not. Friday Night and Saturday Night games weren't shown until after 10:30pm, although on a rare occasion when the Swans soldout the SCG on a Sat night game (especially during SL war when their attendances skyrocketed), it was shown live. Sat Night Swans games didn't get shown at a decent time until the last tv deal between Ch9/10/Fox in 2002-2006, where it got moved to 30-90 min delay, which was made better in the current 2007-2011 deal where they are either live on 30 min delay. On several occasions, we got TWO (yes, that's right. TWO!) Sunday games: one at 12:40pm and the second at 3:20pm, which lead into the 6pm news. This scenario normally occured when either the Swans or Bears/Lions hosted the early 12:40pm game and when Adelaide/Fremantle/West Coast hosted the 3:20pm game, due to the time difference. Sometimes, the Swans got the 3:20pm game.

So yes, AFL, even in a passionate rugby league region like mine where very few ppl probably gave a bugger about the sport, got far better coverage than rugby league on FTA (especially when PayTV wasn't available in our area until 1999). In 1998, we only got two games (Friday Night 1 hr delay and Sunday 1 1/2 hr delay) of league, with the occasional third game if Knights weren't on Ch9. However, although away Sunday games were shown live, home Saturday night and Sunday games weren't shown until 10:30 and 11:30pm respectively. So, compare this to the 2 (sometimes 3) live AFL games we got up here and the AFL supporters got a far better deal.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
An unexpected supporter of more live rugby league has posted on the Channel 9 facebook page. I'm surprised Archbishop Demetriou would allow this. (If this is really him).

http://www.facebook.com/Channel9?sk=wall

has to be bs? http://www.facebook.com/realisraelfolau?sk=wall

RECENT ACTIVITY

Israel Folauposted toChannel9
Channel 9, will you be showing the Rugby league Challenge Cup Final live this year?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Growing up in the Hunter region during the '90s (I'm 24), I'll tell you the situation regarding the broadcasting of AFL there (until I moved down to Sydney 5 years ago).

I recall that when I started watching league around 1995/96, Prime (the local affiliate of Ch7) always showed Saturday arvo and Sunday arvo AFL live, regardless of whether the Sydney Swans were playing or not. Friday Night and Saturday Night games weren't shown until after 10:30pm, although on a rare occasion when the Swans soldout the SCG on a Sat night game (especially during SL war when their attendances skyrocketed), it was shown live. Sat Night Swans games didn't get shown at a decent time until the last tv deal between Ch9/10/Fox in 2002-2006, where it got moved to 30-90 min delay, which was made better in the current 2007-2011 deal where they are either live on 30 min delay. On several occasions, we got TWO (yes, that's right. TWO!) Sunday games: one at 12:40pm and the second at 3:20pm, which lead into the 6pm news. This scenario normally occured when either the Swans or Bears/Lions hosted the early 12:40pm game and when Adelaide/Fremantle/West Coast hosted the 3:20pm game, due to the time difference. Sometimes, the Swans got the 3:20pm game.

So yes, AFL, even in a passionate rugby league region like mine where very few ppl probably gave a bugger about the sport, got far better coverage than rugby league on FTA (especially when PayTV wasn't available in our area until 1999). In 1998, we only got two games (Friday Night 1 hr delay and Sunday 1 1/2 hr delay) of league, with the occasional third game if Knights weren't on Ch9. However, although away Sunday games were shown live, home Saturday night and Sunday games weren't shown until 10:30 and 11:30pm respectively. So, compare this to the 2 (sometimes 3) live AFL games we got up here and the AFL supporters got a far better deal.

In 1980 the local Sydney Aussie Rules grand final was shown live on Channel 7!!!

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Well I've been blocked from posting on the WWoS facebook page.

It would seem asking questions they don't want to answer just isn't on...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
It feels to me that people born in Victoria, have an inate sense of feeling the need to spread the AFL word to who ever they come into contact with for the rest of their lives.

Wherever they end up. Be It work, social , holiday whatever they all need to push their love of AFL onto the surrounding population

This ultimately is their strength, as these people filter throughout every part of life,
Be they a school teacher , political staffer , media personality etc

This is what NRL should be aiming for, developing disciples not viewers

El Diablo

Post Whore
i see in Melbourne on Saturday night that 9 are using GEM for Yawnion again but no RL on GEM on Friday

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Could be part of their deal with the ARU (or whoever) that they have to show it live nationally. And they don't have any factor like that with the NRL deal.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Could be part of their deal with the ARU (or whoever) that they have to show it live nationally. And they don't have any factor like that with the NRL deal.

they have not said that when making excuses on facebook and it's not mentioned in the article

it's already live nationally on Fox too

Cletus

First Grade
TBA currently listed for Friday night on Gem at 8.30. It looks like they will be showing it but by the looks of things aren't advertising it. If they weren't such merkins they would put it on the AFL footy show.

El Diablo

Post Whore
TBA currently listed for Friday night on Gem at 8.30. It looks like they will be showing it but by the looks of things aren't advertising it. If they weren't such merkins they would put it on the AFL footy show.

or they'd announce it on the AFL Footy Show like they have with past games

that is pointless seeing the games are up against AFL

juro

Bench
Well if Nine want to show that they were justified in screwing the NRL, the best method for them is to put it on, not advertise, and put it up against the major competition. It looks like they will go out of their way to do just that...

Cletus

First Grade
or they'd announce it on the AFL Footy Show like they have with past games

that is pointless seeing the games are up against AFL

i don't think it matters what it's up against, there will be more than enough people in Melbourne to justify showing it on a multi channel. If it gets 60,000 then they won't lose any share. I just think it would have been a shame for Melbourne fans to miss out on the biggest game of the year because of Nine's stubbornness.

Latest posts