What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 not keen on going live for Melbourne Storm's blockbusters or any NRL finals

Should 9 be sold the rights to Rugby League again?

• Yes

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 94.7%

• Total voters

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Well, they have been flushing revenue down the loo by not giving Rugby League a spot on tele before midnight... so why not do it literally as well!?

Brutus

Referee
would they seriously talk out against their own network? I'm sure they would be 100% committed to what everyone is arguing, but channel 9 employs them

TK certainly wouldn't. He is so far up the NRL's and Ch 9's are it's not funny. If it means RL suffers then TK doesn't care.

Doug2234

First Grade
Well if GEM is for women. Put the League on GO!..

Why the f**k is GEM in HD . So Days of our Lives, Friends, The Golden Girls and Murder She Wrote can all be shown in HD and live sport on Nine in SD!! Who ever is running that network should be sacked immediately.

nyx

Juniors
Channel 9 set a precedent by putting a live broadcast of Union on GEM HD in Melbourne and Adelaide after they told us it wasn't an option for SOO or Storm games.

League fans are now just asking for the same.

docbrown

Coach
Channel 9 set a precedent by putting a live broadcast of Union on GEM HD in Melbourne and Adelaide after they told us it wasn't an option for SOO or Storm games.

League fans are now just asking for the same.

Exactly. Their excuses are pathetic.

Billythekid

First Grade
and least they haven't lied and tried to claim the Govt won't let them this time!

If this happened to any other sport it would be a scandal plastered all over the news and papers. When it happens to the NRL the whole organisation just keeps hush about the whole thing and lets it pass. That's why we constantly get sh*t on.

juro

Bench
I see WWOS are actually responding to some posts (unlike the silence on the main channel9 page). WWOS are trying to be everyone's mates, saying the love the game, they want it live... but the decision is out of their hands. PISSWEAK!

Perth Red

Post Whore
If this happened to any other sport it would be a scandal plastered all over the news and papers. When it happens to the NRL the whole organisation just keeps hush about the whole thing and lets it pass. That's why we constantly get sh*t on.

yeh i sent the story out to heaps of people and news agencies and no one picked it up. I thought the WA paper may have done but I guess they are in bed with Ch9 Perth in some way as well. Its all very incestuous the Australian media.

El Diablo

Post Whore

yup

there's this in the Courier Mail about AFL and it doesn't even involve either Queensland AFL team http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...match-broadcasts/story-e6freon6-1226113970088

Seven gives Brisbane AFL fans the flick with delayed match broadcasts

by Margaret Wenham
August 12, 2011 6:08PM

CHANNEL 7 is at it again - denying live footy to fans in Brisbane.

Tonight it's a replay of last year's grand final - Collingwood and St Kilda - that's being relegated to 11.30pm.

Instead, and once more at 7.30pm, we'll be treated to that boring bastion of home shows Better Homes and Garden on Seven, that screamingly dated, repeated to death and cringe-worthy Are You Being Served on 7Two and on 7Mate Pimp My Ride, and words fail me on that one.

Tonight's game, it obviously needs to be pointed out to the crew up on Mt Coot-tha, is between the top-of-the-ladder and the St Kilda mob who have clawed their way it up to sixth spot having, it seems, regained their sensibilities and footy skills after the psychological battering the team took earlier this year courtesy of the twinned Kim Duthie and Ricky Nixon scandals.

Most of the rest of Australia will get to see this game on free-to-air live or on an hour's delay, including some parts of Queensland - notably the Gold and Sunshine coasts.

Smartly suited AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou should be made to relocate to Queensland to see what we footy aficionados here - where the AFL is supposedly trying to build the great game's profile - have to put up with, courtesy of the last broadcast deal his outfit negotiated.

He can afford the move. It'd be drop in his $2.2 million-a-year salary bucket.

Another example of the nonsense was Channel 10 last Saturday night televising the predictable Pies-Port rout instead of what we all knew would be the match to watch between Essendon and Sydney.

In three weeks' time, the final round of the AFL's 2011 season will be played out.

On the Friday night, September 2, Collingwood is playing Geelong - first and second on the ladder.

At this stage the AFL's broadcast guide shows Channel 7 has scheduled this match - likely to attract yet another sellout crowd to the MCG - to also be delayed until 11.30pm.

What will we be offered instead? The Strip reruns? Kazakhstan's Got Talent?

I can feel a great rage stirring in me.

Margaret Wenham edits The Courier-Mail's Viewpoint and Focus sections and loves footy

at least they can watch it on Main Event

Meklbourne League fans don't even get that option

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

That's why Gallop is a piss-weak leader.

Yet there are people on here who still think the sun shines out of his clacker.

Brutus

Referee
yup

there's this in the Courier Mail about AFL and it doesn't even involve either Queensland AFL team http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...match-broadcasts/story-e6freon6-1226113970088

at least they can watch it on Main Event

Meklbourne League fans don't even get that option

What shits me about that stupid f**ked up geniused whinge from an obvious person with Victorian blood is she's using the term FOOTY to describe flogball.

She is writing for a f**king Brisbane paper - a city where the main dose of footy is rugby league.

Arrogant Victorian writing for the Victorian population in Brisbane.

Brisbane people couldn't give a f**k about Collingwood v St Killed her

And they can watch the friggin thing live on Main Event anyway.

How much do these f**k tards want!!!!

Courier Mail - The Victorian Newsletter.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I actually follow AFL (sue me), most likely because it was on TV when I was growing up (northern NSW, for some weird reason we picked up Brisbane TV), so I could watch it and get into it. As long as I can recall (back to about 1990), the Saturday afternoon match of the day was broadcast live by channel 7 in Brisbane, and I believe the Friday night game a late replay (as it is now), and the Sunday arvo game was also live. Not sure when the Saturday night games started (some point in the 90s). I'm guessing this broadcasting 3-4 games a week coincided with the introduction of the Bears in 1987.

I mention this as a contrast to the coverage of Rugby League in Melbourne since the Storm came into the comp in 1998. The fact we're 13 years down the line and the coverage in Melbourne is probably the same, if not worse, than what you would have got in Sydney and Brisbane for the AFL circa 1980, and certainly vastly inferior to what was available in Brisbane in 2000 (13 years after the Bears/Lions were introduced).

I think it all comes back to the fact TV in Australia has always been run out of Melbourne. Perhaps it's Melbourne getting us all back for not being chosen as the capital city post Federation.

Latest posts