What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

sempmrh

Juniors
Storm are a second team to a lot of Victorians - the AFL team they grew up with and likely have an ingrained family connection to will always come first. That's difficult to change - and realistically, we don't want to change that because it would be a waste of effort anyway. One club alone has over 100k members - for Storm to have over 25k members is already a win. But for Storm and rugby league in Victoria as a whole to grow and reach the lofty expectations set by some around here, the club needs the full support of the NRL. It needed to have had the full support of the NRL and its media partners since day one - but it didn't. Things are a lot better now than it's ever been but the game still needs consistent support in Victoria.

mongoose

Coach
The Storm have 498k followers on their facebook page, to put that in perspective - Collingwood have only 360k. If only the Storm could convert that to bums on seats, but their crowds are solid anyway.

wazdog

Juniors
Easts crowd average was over 1000 higher than souffs' average this season :) the low crowd numbers that the Rooster Hate Brigade keep mentioning is actually a myth!!

In order to compare Rorters and Rabbitohs crowds you need to look at them over a two year period as this year you got the leg up on Anzac Day where it was the Bulldogs turn to host the Good Friday game.

2019:
Rabbitohs: 15,600
Rorters: 16,844

Rorters: +1,244

2018:
Rabbitohs: 18,531
Rorters: 13,274

Rabbitohs: +5,257

taipan

Referee
AFL know how to run their game, NRL dont. Its got little to do with the Storm and everything to do with how sht our administration has been forever. Imagine how different the Storm scenario would be if NRL:
A) controlled scheduling
B) Controlled media
C) Spent $25million a year on them
D) Invested tens of millions in Jnr and grassroot RL in Victoria
E) Stacked the squad so they won all the time (ok maybe not needed this one lol)
F) Ensured they had AAMI park from day one, not ten years at the graveyard
G) Ensured the game was on FTA at a decent time from the time the club came into the comp
All those things happened for the Swans and Lions.

We'd maybe see sell outs at AAMI if that had been the case for the last twenty years?

H) And get players off for eye gouging.
I) And stuff up the ASADA Essendon drug dramas.
J)And spend tens of millions on the Suns and GWS ,the former doing nothing, the latter finally do Ok on the field ,but only John Stanley's family watches them.The tv ratings in Sydney unable to beat the TV test pattern.
K) And say it's OK to pay off assault complainants by clubs.
L) And continue to have unresolved racial issues off field at games.

They wouldn't have got AAMI if the Victory hadn't come on board, is my understanding

taipan

Referee
Storm are a second team to a lot of Victorians - the AFL team they grew up with and likely have an ingrained family connection to will always come first. That's difficult to change - and realistically, we don't want to change that because it would be a waste of effort anyway. One club alone has over 100k members - for Storm to have over 25k members is already a win. But for Storm and rugby league in Victoria as a whole to grow and reach the lofty expectations set by some around here, the club needs the full support of the NRL. It needed to have had the full support of the NRL and its media partners since day one - but it didn't. Things are a lot better now than it's ever been but the game still needs consistent support in Victoria.

I may be wrong but didn't the Storm receive additional funding from the NRL before it was privatised.I know News did when they owned them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
H) And get players off for eye gouging.
I) And stuff up the ASADA Essendon drug dramas.
J)And spend tens of millions on the Suns and GWS ,the former doing nothing, the latter finally do Ok on the field ,but only John Stanley's family watches them.The tv ratings in Sydney unable to beat the TV test pattern.
K) And say it's OK to pay off assault complainants by clubs.
L) And continue to have unresolved racial issues off field at games.

They wouldn't have got AAMI if the Victory hadn't come on board, is my understanding

None of this has anything to do with how the two codes have managed their expansion strategy, but nice rant lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I may be wrong but didn't the Storm receive additional funding from the NRL before it was privatised.I know News did when they owned them.

What actually happened was news received $8mill a year as did the ARL out of nrl coffers as part of the SL peace deal. How much of this they spent as owners of the storm is anyones guess. The article below suggests $75mill over 15 years.
As part of the deal to sell them in 2013 (nrl was not happy about one owner having two clubs and potential conflict of interests that could arise) the nrl agreed to fund the storm an extra $4.2mill a year for 4 years. This deal has finished and the storm Broke even in 2017 so with $3mill above salary cap you’d think they’d have made a profit these last two seasons.

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/the-entrepreneurs-who-saved-the-melbourne-storm-20170927-gypx6x

They also sold their pokie hotel last year for a substantial sum giving them some cash asset

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/me...dfall-as-pokies-sold-off-20190131-p50uto.html

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
What actually happened was news received $8mill a year as did the ARL out of nrl coffers as part of the SL peace deal. How much of this they spent as owners of the storm is anyones guess. The article below suggests $75mill over 15 years.
As part of the deal to sell them in 2013 (nrl was not happy about one owner having two clubs and potential conflict of interests that could arise) the nrl agreed to fund the storm an extra $4.2mill a year for 4 years. This deal has finished and the storm Broke even in 2017 so with $3mill above salary cap you’d think they’d have made a profit these last two seasons.

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/the-entrepreneurs-who-saved-the-melbourne-storm-20170927-gypx6x

They also sold their pokie hotel last year for a substantial sum giving them some cash asset

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/me...dfall-as-pokies-sold-off-20190131-p50uto.html

That doesn't answer the question about the NRL providing additional funds.News involvement am aware.

taipan

Referee
None of this has anything to do with how the two codes have managed their expansion strategy, but nice rant lol

Well LOL actually my point about the Suns and GWS ,which you conveniently ignored for a start does revolve around expansion.Throwing confetti around, thus you need large sums, and don't necessarily get the results you want.
Yet you were quite happy to throw up the Lions who lost a heap of money in the last few years ,and the Swans who nearly went broke three times ,got a massive SL leg up .
My response re the Storm's Olympic Park then AAMI stadium movement does bear relevance.but you ignore the negatives( amazinglyLOL) if it suits .

Stallion

First Grade
Eye on the ball stuff I suggest! The competition can expand without whiteanting existing clubs. Sydney and surrounds is massive in population and growing. There is clearly room to expand with additional clubs that can both consolidate rugbyleague areas and expand the footprint of the competition in places like WA, SA and NZ south island. Instead of self destructing strengths, let's proactively achieve genuine growth with additional clubs in a carefully planned and positive way.

siv

First Grade
That doesn't answer the question about the NRL providing additional funds.News involvement am aware.

There has always been extra money sent to Melbourne

Even after the News Ltd exit there has been $5mil a year being pumped in

And they also use VRL money to run their U20s

Quicksilver

Bench

Lets be honest like Souths winning lotto in having a hollywood mega millionaire as a fan that bailed them out, Sharks also won lotto by having land gifted to it to sell. Problem is lotto wins dont come around very often and when the money is gone then what?

taipan

Referee

Then PR should not complain.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Did you miss this bit?

"As part of the deal to sell them in 2013 (nrl was not happy about one owner having two clubs and potential conflict of interests that could arise) the nrl agreed to fund the storm an extra $4.2mill a year for 4 years. "

Simply untrue as I have told you above. The deal to get News Ltd out saw the Storm get above grant funding for 4 years, which finished in 2017.

taipan

Referee
Did you miss this bit?

"As part of the deal to sell them in 2013 (nrl was not happy about one owner having two clubs and potential conflict of interests that could arise) the nrl agreed to fund the storm an extra $4.2mill a year for 4 years. "

Simply untrue as I have told you above. The deal to get News Ltd out saw the Storm get above grant funding for 4 years, which finished in 2017.

Yep I missed it dang I'm human admit things ,but it still proves my point the NRL providing extra funding for the club.Did they have to repay the NRL? Nope.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep I missed it dang I'm human admit things ,but it still proves my point the NRL providing extra funding for the club.Did they have to repay the NRL? Nope.

You didn't make a point, you asked a question lol

taipan

Referee
You didn't make a point, you asked a question lol

.Seriously
Your promo exercise "the AFL know how to run the game.Never heard you promote AFL before LOL.
I earlier noted" I may be wrong but didn't the Storm received extra funding"(my view) in response to your what the NRL should be doing to assist the Storm.
You brought the matter up initially , as to what if the NRL did this for the Storm citing how wonderful the AFL is,not I. FMD.

The response was, extra money was provided to the Storm.Showing exactly the Storm was given assistance .Confirming my view.

And of course Titans and Knights to keep them afloat by take-over.

siv

First Grade
Did you miss this bit?

And what about VRL money being directed to run a U20s team in QLD and now in NSW ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
And what about VRL money being directed to run a U20s team in QLD and now in NSW ?

What about it? It’s no different than the nrlwa continuing to fund the WA Sg ball side if we got a Pirates nrl club. What’s the problem? it’s jnr development which should, in my opinion, be the responsibility of the state body, not the nrl clubs. Let them concentrate on running a professional sports business.