What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
All you need to do is look and do some quick mental calculations.

I think you guys know it's true and it's why you're so defensive.

Please enlighten me to these calculations? No doubt they would appear a bit mental...

The numbers speak for themselves. Roosters and Storm are a couple of the best supported teams in the comp. Facts. Not 'minus this, minus that', facts.

Quicksilver

Bench
Please enlighten me to these calculations? No doubt they would appear a bit mental...

The numbers speak for themselves. Roosters and Storm are a couple of the best supported teams in the comp. Facts. Not 'minus this, minus that', facts.

It's quite easy.

The stadium is clearly 1/8 full. 1/8 x 45,000 = 5,625.

Yet it gets reported as at least double.

It's staggering.

I'm sure there's not that many people in the beer lines and corporate suites.

This is the Roosters I'm talking about. Melbourne is probably a different story.

"Perhaps" everyone is doing it. But it's clear to see in a seated stadium where you know the capacity,..

Valheru

Coach
It's quite easy.

The stadium is clearly 1/8 full. 1/8 x 45,000 = 5,625.

Yet it gets reported as at least double.

It's staggering.

I'm sure there's not that many people in the beer lines and corporate suites.

This is the Roosters I'm talking about. Melbourne is probably a different story.

"Perhaps" everyone is doing it. But it's clear to see in a seated stadium where you know the capacity,..

How do you determine that the venue is 1/8th full. Are you referring to a specific example when you attended?

Who do you think embellishes the crowd numbers and what motive would they have for doing so?

T-Boon

Coach
RL is not the biggest thing in town in Melbourne, to expect similar crowds to AFL is stupidity. Relative to other RL clubs Melbourne are well supported on game day and have found a very strong niche presence in the city dominated by another code.

I am disappointed in Melbourne crowds considering their dominance and the location in a sports crazed town one team town type scenario. The fact that the Brisbane AFL team gets a lot more than them when they are winning is a concern.

Valheru

Coach
Both Storm and Roosters get crowds that are dwarfed by other codes playing out of the same precinct. It is embarrassing to call them a powerhouse fanbase. Just don't.

"playing out of the same precinct"

That is the level you have to stoop to in order to fit your ridiculous narrative that the swans only outdraw the roosters and no other NRL club.

There is only one other example outside of Melbourne of an AFL club playing out of the same 'precinct' as an NRL club, that being the giants and souths/dogs.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
I am disappointed in Melbourne crowds considering their dominance and the location in a sports crazed town one team town type scenario. The fact that the Brisbane AFL team gets a lot more than them when they are winning is a concern.

Yep, we have been dominant and it is a sports crazed town. But RL is not the biggest thing in town. Consider the 4 biggest AFL clubs average more than 50k to each home game says that there is a strong, established connection that the Storm have to try and get a piece of. Brisbane have one RL team that average less than 30k, so the Lions have an ability to draw crowds when they play well. An addition of a second RL team in Brisbane is likely to hurt the Lions more than the Broncos IMO.

How do you determine that the venue is 1/8th full. Are you referring to a specific example when you attended?

Probably has never attended, just watches on TV. Never notices that the cameras when the SFS were still standing, could not shoot the members stand, and rarely showed the western side of the ground as that is where the main cameras were located. If it was raining, and people were seeking shelter, he'd claim the extra people weren't there at all.

Same at the SCG, they only see at best 70% of the actual ground/seating. However, when have "facts" ever stood in some people's way.

adamkungl

Immortal
Would would clubs gain out of inflated crowd numbers, other than inflated police presence and security costs?

siv

First Grade
Easy Roosters......

.they have low fan base , low crowds and no development , they just play the game to entice the best young talent from other clubs with cosmetic salary cap methods.

The key issue I see , is that no NEW location would want them......unless they changed their colors , name , that might work.

Perfect for Adelaide

T-Boon

Coach
Yep, we have been dominant and it is a sports crazed town. But RL is not the biggest thing in town. Consider the 4 biggest AFL clubs average more than 50k to each home game says that there is a strong, established connection that the Storm have to try and get a piece of. Brisbane have one RL team that average less than 30k, so the Lions have an ability to draw crowds when they play well. An addition of a second RL team in Brisbane is likely to hurt the Lions more than the Broncos IMO.

That's a valid point.

Quicksilver

Bench

Who do you think embellishes the crowd numbers and what motive would they have for doing so?

Gee, I couldn’t think of anyone who would have an interest in inflating crowd figures.

Valheru

Coach
I do get along to quite a few live games but it can be easily viewed from the living room too. Just have to pay attention to the reverse camera angles (video ref) to get a decent perspective.

Well you can't argue with that forensic analysis I suppose.

I have never seen more than 2000 people at shark park, I can tell from the TV.

Perth Red

Post Whore

AFL know how to run their game, NRL dont. Its got little to do with the Storm and everything to do with how sht our administration has been forever. Imagine how different the Storm scenario would be if NRL:
A) controlled scheduling
B) Controlled media
C) Spent $25million a year on them
D) Invested tens of millions in Jnr and grassroot RL in Victoria
E) Stacked the squad so they won all the time (ok maybe not needed this one lol)
F) Ensured they had AAMI park from day one, not ten years at the graveyard
G) Ensured the game was on FTA at a decent time from the time the club came into the comp
All those things happened for the Swans and Lions.

We'd maybe see sell outs at AAMI if that had been the case for the last twenty years?