What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine Does it Again

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This is Melbourne we're talking about. If they're obsessed with a sport that involves a bunch of blokes with chicken legs in tight short shorts running around trying to slap each other than it shouldn't be a surprise that they love watching chick flicks.

Brokeback mountain don't you mean?

Eels Dude

Coach
where can you find the ratings for shows on a Fri night and sunday afternoon, I'd love to keep track of the Perth ones.

I'm pretty sure the only way you can do that is if you subscribe to OZTAM, which you have to pay for. Otherwise you just have to rely on what they provide to the media and they publish.

Brutus

Referee
gallopcup7.jpg

images

And once again , no NRL in HD on nine.

Amazing stuff really , all the other markets in the world have embraced HD for sport.

What have nine done? Dumped it.

The NRL should be demanding HD coverage , its the best way to show off the sport in the digital age.

Perth Red

Post Whore
for me it should be 9.30pm Friday night, live Sunday afternoon. Anything else is doing teh game a diservice.

Goddo

Bench
The problem as I see it is not so much Gallop, but the lack of any authority higher than him...

Basically, Gallop runs the game day to day on behalf of the ARL (and lets face it, they are brown patch brigade types with no-show jobs) and News Ltd (who don't give a stuff so long as they are making money out of having TV rights below cost).

I think Gallop has been pretty 50/50 as CEO, but this status quo has stabalised the game. We just really really need the Commission now, as soon as possible to deal with these sorts of issues, expansion and the next TV deal.

Eels Dude

Coach
for me it should be 9.30pm Friday night, live Sunday afternoon. Anything else is doing teh game a diservice.

Well as soon as the anti siphoning laws come into place, you should at least get your friday night wish. It just depends if the government actually enforces the new rules.

brad_19

Juniors
9 won't let them IIRC

Also, that channel (Main Event) is being "used", even if the stream is blocked into the Eastern states. So they would need to find a different channel for NRL into the east if they chose to go down that path...

Pedge1971

First Grade
Hang on, he has had to get involved in stinks involving 20 yo players in the media. Stuff TV rights, growth and revenues for the game, he has had to deal with mud over 10 years. He will sort this out once he's finished scraping Benji's mud off his shoes. Priorities FFS.

Mark my words, my prophecies come true, it's been studied and proven, right Baby Boy?

IPAlarms

Juniors
You guys think you've got it tough. I live in Asia and rely on the Australia Network for my NRL fix. They've dropped it and I'm gutted.

Pedge1971

First Grade
You guys think you've got it tough. I live in Asia and rely on the Australia Network for my NRL fix. They've dropped it and I'm gutted.
I'm with you AP. Yet Aust Network still show the horses hoofs in tight shorts & V8?!?!. There are some pubs and other options around though. All is not dead for us!

Pedge1971

First Grade
I'm with you AP. Yet Aust Network still show the horses hoofs in tight shorts & V8?!?!. There are some pubs and other options around though. All is not dead for us!

seaeagle sam

I'm sure I read somewhere that Nein are supposed to show at least one game at a decent hour as part of their contract with the NRL. Can anyone confirm this.

juro

Bench
When is the new anti-siphoning law supposed to be introduced? Didn't the old one expire at the end of last year?

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'm sure I read somewhere that Nein are supposed to show at least one game at a decent hour as part of their contract with the NRL. Can anyone confirm this.

both the links appear to be dead

this is what they said

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/fox-sports-gives-afl-a-mark/2007/05/18/1178995418201.html

However, Nine's telecast of last night's St George Illawarra versus Titans match was due to begin at 1.10am, following the movie Election, a flick about a girl bribing classmates with muffins to be elected school captain. The after-midnight start is in breach of the existing NRL contract, which says Nine must televise games in Melbourne before midnight.
and another

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.asp?sec=1&ssec=1&pg=1746
Storm delayed reaction
Monday, April 14, 2008
Source: mX (Melbourne)

Melbourne Storm has urged the NRL to take Channel 9 to task, alleging the rugby league broadcaster has breached its agreement twice by failing to show Storm games in Melbourne before midnight.

Last Friday week's clash with the Brisbane Broncos didn't air until 12.15am and last Friday's night's grand final re-match against Manly was scheduled to be aired at 12.10am on Melbourne screens.

An NRL spokesman confirmed to mX that although there were provisions for the game to be aired after 12pm if shows ran late. Nine is obliged to schedule matches before midnight.

Waldron said it was a clear breach of the agreement and if the league cared about spreading the NRL gospel in Melbourne, it was bound to hold Channel 9 accountable.

"I've spoken to the NRL and they are well and truly aware of this situation and as the people responsible for looking after the future of the game I would hope they did act," Waldron told mX.

"I'm disappointed, really disappointed, after all the inroads we have made for the game down here that we can't get appropriate coverage.

"But it's not for us to do anything, it is the NRL's deal so our hands are tied. But they really should do everything in their power to make sure the deal is upheld."

Waldron said he had made NRL boss David Gallop aware of his concerns as early as last year.

Nine was investigating the situation last Friday and would not comment on whether the broadcast agreement had been breached.

There is no coverage of the Sunday Afternoon Game between Pathers & Knights outside of QLD/NSW on Channel 9. They have the Aust vs Kenya World Cup Cricket on instead from 11.30pm.
This would definitely be a breach of the NRL Broadcast agreement no coverage at all!!!

Hoggy

Bench
Also, that channel (Main Event) is being "used", even if the stream is blocked into the Eastern states. So they would need to find a different channel for NRL into the east if they chose to go down that path...

Foxtel showed a 20/20 WC game last year on Fuel TV...

Put it on there FFS, these are supposed to be the number 1 and 2 games of the weekend and we can't watch them unless we are willing to throw our body clocks out of whack.

We get better coverage of the Bundesliga here...

Latest posts