What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine Olympic Coverage

whall15

Coach
Now that Nine have the opportunity to ruin numerous sports on a nightly basis it's time for another thread.

Hopefully it won't become the Eddie McGuire channel like during the Winter Olympics.

whall15

Coach
The Nine Network has unveiled plans for its extensive coverage of the London 2012 Olympic Games, including gold medal hope Sally Pearson as its official athlete ambassador.
With athletes from around the world competing in 26 sports and 39 disciplines, chasing 300 gold medals, Nine will capture all the excitement and emotion from London with the most dedicated live Olympic Games coverage Australian free-to-air television has ever broadcast from abroad.
Find out about Nine's 3D Olympics coverage here
Pearson heads Australia's gold medal hopes on the track, as she prepares to go one better than her Beijing silver medal. In the pool, world 100m freestyle champion James Magnussen leads the green and gold charge, while Australia's cycling team looks set to battle the host nation for a number of medals in what should be an intriguing showdown against the old enemy at the velodrome.
Nine's award-winning Wide World of Sports team will bring Australian television audiences more than 18 hours action each day across all 16 days of elite competition.
Hosting the coverage from London will be the face and voice of Wide World of Sports, Ken Sutcliffe, along with Karl Stefanovic, Leila McKinnon, Mark Nicholas and Cameron Williams. Leila McKinnon and Eddie McGuire will host the live and exclusive coverage of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
On competition days, Nine will deliver 14.5 hours of continuous live coverage from 6.30pm until 9.00am the following morning. Then from 9.00am to 11.00am each morning, all the day's highlights will be shown and later replayed from 4.00pm-6.00pm.
Nine's expert commentary team for London 2012 includes nine Olympic gold medallists, former Olympic athletes, and distinguished sports broadcasters. The Wide World of Sports exclusive swimming commentary team comprises Olympic gold medallists Grant Hackett and Giaan Rooney plus Ray Warren, one of Australia's most accomplished sports commentators.
The rest of the Olympic commentary team includes James Tomkins (Rowing), Kerri Pottharst (Beach Volleyball), Scott McGrory (Cycling), Debbie Watson (Water Polo), Andrew Gaze (Basketball), Jane Flemming (Athletics), Melinda Gainsford-Taylor (Athletics), Michael Slater (Diving), Andrew Voss (Weightlifting), James Brayshaw (Rowing) and Eddie McGuire (Marathon and Triathlon).
Together they'll bring Australian audiences the biggest sporting telecast of an Olympic Games hosted outside Australia. More than 300 hours of action will be broadcast on Channel Nine, and simulcast in high definition on GEM.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/london-olympics/tv-schedule/

No word on my favourite Olympic sports, football (soccer) and handball. :(

Danish

Referee
I won't be watching a single second of nein's coverage. No interest in watching them rape the Olympics and cover half the screen with betting odds and promotions for celebrity block or "jamie durie gives a bogan family a new plasma and a couple plants" type reality show.

Foxtel all the way

Didgi

You forgot Underbelly: Olympics edition, a tale of how a the female runner had a willy and the illicit steroid trade.

Jason Maher

Immortal
The only way 9 could win any credit is by resurrecting The Dream. Channel 7 richly deserved to lose the Olympics for ditching Roy and HG in favour of Sonya Kruger and Tom Williams in Beijing.

Karl

Juniors
I'll watch it. Well some of it. Probably. Not very much. A few highlights should do it. The men's 100 meters should be exciting. Maybe some stuff from the pool. Most of its rubbish really.

Shame the Rugby 7's aren't in it this year.

Valheru

Coach
Does channel 9 have exclusivity over some events that Foxtel can’t show? Foxtel are claiming to be showing every single gold medal event but I am not sure if some will be replays. If not there is absolutely no reason to watch channel 9.

Regardless of whether we have to watch 9 for the big events I will still be watching a lot of Foxtel. I like to look at the other events that we only really think about/watch every 4 years.

IanG

Coach
The only way 9 could win any credit is by resurrecting The Dream. Channel 7 richly deserved to lose the Olympics for ditching Roy and HG in favour of Sonya Kruger and Tom Williams in Beijing.

Yeah with Yuck Cha or whatever it was called.

Thing is would Roy and HG want to do it again? Also bring back the Bombing

Timbo

Staff member
I think Foxtels coverage is the way to go.

9 will undoubtably ruin it.

Danish

Referee
Does channel 9 have exclusivity over some events that Foxtel can?t show? Foxtel are claiming to be showing every single gold medal event but I am not sure if some will be replays. If not there is absolutely no reason to watch channel 9.

Regardless of whether we have to watch 9 for the big events I will still be watching a lot of Foxtel. I like to look at the other events that we only really think about/watch every 4 years.

Foxtel's website is claiming every gold medal event live and in full - SOURCE

According to that page you'll even be able to set IQ to record specific events so can set stuff to record overnight and watch it in the morning if you so choose.

Looks bloody awesome TBH

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Ken Sutcliffe is becoming very annoying

I was sick of him 20 years ago. Nothing is changing sadly.

Not expecting much for these Olympics, don't have Foxtel and I'm not paying $50 to get the Olympics on my Xbox with horrible video quality.

T.T

Juniors
swimming is the most boring event at the olympics but unfortunately the one which will get the most coverage on our tv's

adamkungl

Immortal
Are 9 showing it in glorious Standard Definition, with nuffies who are awful Rugby League commentators gibbering on about sports they have not even a feigned expertise in, and showing replay after replay of Australia in the swimming and basically sweet f**k all else?

TAKE MY MONEY!

Latest posts