What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel Nine Olympic Coverage

IanG

Coach
The Terrorgraph said:
London Olympics brawl as Channel 9 suspects Seven of dirty tricks campaign

CHANNEL 9 suspects television rival Seven of orchestrating a dirty tricks campaign and using a professional guerrilla marketer to undermine its coverage of the London Olympics - a claim Channel 7 denies.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that an employee at one of the nation's leading media agencies, MEC, is facing disciplinary action after being linked to a viral Facebook page, Channel 9's Olympic Coverage Sucks.

MEC is a media planning and buying agency that works with all the networks across Australia, while its sister agency Mediacom has an exclusive contract with Channel 7 to place its advertising in newspapers and billboards.

The company's Adelaide office is investigating digital analyst Isaac O'Leary over his role in the page, which has amassed almost 30,000 "likes" and much media attention since it was launched at the start of the London Olympics.

MEC Adelaide managing director Peter Bucklow confirmed action would be taken against the employee - but denied Mr O'Leary's actions were linked to Seven.

"We'll take appropriate action because we have very strong policies right throughout our company about the use of social media," Mr Bucklow said. "This particular person did something that was not appropriate and not sanctioned by us and not supported by us. Channel 9, all the TV networks, are people we have to deal with every day.

"The last thing we want to do is to devalue our relationship with them."

The page is believed to be the source of much of the satirical content critical of Nine's coverage circulating the internet.

While MEC and Channel 7 deny having any involvement with the page, Nine spokesman David Hurley said there was clear cause for suspicion.

"Seven has engaged in the longest dummy spit in media history about not being the 2012 rights holder, and in recent weeks has conducted its own negative campaign to talk down just about everything about London," he told The Sunday Telegraph.

Mr O'Leary describes himself as the "secret face (of) a social media campaign" in his online profile and lists his interests as "gorilla (sic) marketing" on LinkedIn.

But he denied he was behind the Facebook hate page.

"It's my friend's page. I just give him pointers," Mr O'Leary told The Sunday Telegraph. A Seven spokesman said: "Nine's claims that we are somehow linked to a social media campaign via someone who is on a Twitter account and Facebook is hilarious."
223225-isaac-o-039-leary.jpg
221945-isaac-o-039-leary.jpg

LINK

Mr Spock!

Referee
Should look at their own coverage. Good try at driving people to Foxtel but I'm not subscribing for two weeks to look at some decent sports (eg boxing, weightlifting, even soccer ffs). :crazy:

I'll have to wait four more years to see girls writhing around playing with balls to bad music.:sarcasm:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Last edited:

IanG

Coach
FTA was still better when SBS had it as well. Also loved The Dream. Agree about Beijing. Was more like Yuck Cha

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah I found that deal really good because I could switch between the two.
It must suck for people who are from different countries over here, Handball is huge in Europe but wasn't shown on FTA.

hellteam

First Grade
I actually think the coverage has been pretty good from nine, a lot better than 7 anyway.

Really liked the interview with Bolt tonight

Mr Saab

Referee
More complaints for channel 9 in todays telegraph about how Eddie and McKinnon were talking over the singing.
Standard Eddie and Leila