What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2009

WHO WILL WIN THE 2009 CHARITY SHIELD GAME

• DRAGONS

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • RABBITOHS

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • DRAW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • THE REF

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • WHO CARES

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • MY MOTHER INLAW

Votes: 12 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nemesis

Bench
Injuries always a curse, and no Gasnier this year.
The Dragons look solid as do Souths. This one is so hard to predict, more than others in the past.
This game should set a new Charity Shield crowd record imo.

Personally, I'd like to see one or two of our new boys get a run... in particular, our new centre recruit Chris McQueen. He's a big mean looking unit who has a reputation as a damaging ball runner with good defensive skills. He also has some speed... someone who saw him at training said that he easily ran down both Rhys Wesser and Colin Best in a game of touch. Definitely one to watch.

I have McQueen pegged as a possible candidate for rookie of the year.

Nemesis

Bench
Oh look, Tiny Todger Limp Wrist has logged off and ventured out into the dark unknown.

He's either pulling his pud at Mortdale station or stacking shelves at Penshurst as part of his work for the dole agreement.

Way to go Kid, one day you'll be an envelope licker. :lol:
lol... he's gone to search the dictionary for another "p" word.

dubopov

Coach
As you say, expectations will be high on both sides so it should be a cracker of a game.

Traditionally both of us tend to field near full-strength sides and seeing that we only play each other once in 2009, I'm sure each will want to get the "wood" on the other in the Charity Shield.

Could easily go either way... I just hope neither of our teams end up with a serious injury to a key player.

Saints will probably give 25 or so blokes a run like last year. Bennett will want to see who the listeners are.

IanG

Coach
As I said before whoever wins the blue. I wanna see a good old fashioned stink. Enough of this cleaned up players are role models bullsh*t. I agree with Mark Geyer on that note.

Nemesis

Bench
As I said before whoever wins the blue. I wanna see a good old fashioned stink. Enough of this cleaned up players are role models bullsh*t. I agree with Mark Geyer on that note.
As much as people enjoy a good blue, the dragons round 1 game is against the storm down in Melbourne, so I can't see them (or Souths for that matter) risking a possible suspension or injury to a key player/players in the Charity Shield.

Nemesis

Bench
They'd prefer to start 2009 with a clean slate (Dragons I mean) instead of going into that silly crap again I hope.
Thats right.. and I'm sure that with two refs on field this year (one policing the ruck), the Storm won't be doing too much wrestling. Benny will have the Dragons well disciplined, as well.

Godz Illa

Coach
i have tipped the Dragons, for no other reason except whoever wins the shield seems to have an average season. Bogey match.
So true. Saints have only lost the Charity Shield a few times in the last ten years, and have subsequently enjoyed good seasons. In 99 we lost the Shield and made the GF; in 2005/06 we lost and made the prelim finals; in 07 we won and missed the semis, last year we lost again and made the semis.

Both sides to lose at least one regular for the season, StGeorge to lead at half time only to be run down by souths.

Yep when they take off the first graders and send out the harold matthews boys!

In all seriousness though theres a bit of pagentory and its treated by nine like a real game but its only a trial still - except by souths.

I loved it a couple of years ago where they needled up buddy gordon to go back on after doing his ankle. Said it all about Souths back then......

Franko

Juniors
As a Souths supporter i always get hyped up about the game. In all honesty though i really don't care if Souths win or lose this year. Year after year we put in a good charity shield performance only to see us be ordinary for the first half of the comp. So i'm happy for them to get beat by 50 if we still come out in round 1 ready to go.

This Year?

Immortal
I accidently clicked on Dragons but I want to change it to a Draw. Can you fix it for me please Timmah? :)

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
MY MOTHER INLAW
bar1-l.gif
bar1.gif
bar1-r.gif
clear.gif

Some people sure do have some ugly mother inlaws

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Why is it always the same two teams who play this game? Isn't it about time others were given a go? Gets a bit boring same two all the time.

Redback71

First Grade
I'm gonna pull a rabbit out of my hat here and go out on a limb and say the Rabbitohs by 14.

Ok Bikerdragon, I will admit it, I said my mother in law! Only beacuse I really don't care and I'd actually like to see my mother in law being driven into the turf.

Having said that and being serious for just one moment...... Dragons will win this one.

Awwwww spewin, I hate saying that

Nemesis

Bench
Why is it always the same two teams who play this game? Isn't it about time others were given a go? Gets a bit boring same two all the time.
The Charity Shield was started 26 years ago by Souths and St George (two traditional rival clubs) with the winner donating the proceeds to a charity of their choosing.

The fiercely contested game has traditionally been regarded as the curtain raiser to signal the start of the regular season. There is probably no reason why other rival clubs couldn't get involved, they just need to be prepared to donate all the proceeds to their chosen charity.

Latest posts