What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2019

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach McGregor has selection headaches before NRL season
Dragons Den
r0_204_3987_2454_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Challenge ahead: Zac Lomax of the Dragons (right) celebrates with Jacob Host after scoring a try during the Charity Shield. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts

Coach Paul McGregor is refusing to allow the Dragons squad to be distracted by the Jack de Belin court case.

Adamant they're firmly focused on their March 16 season opener against North Queensland, McGregor has other vulnerabilities to address.

"The decision has been made, we have got a squad now of 28 and we will pick our strongest 17 for round one," McGregor said. "That’s what we have got to focus on, the other distractions are gone, it is only other people who are talking about it now."

The old master Wayne Bennett has already handed the scouting report to North Queensland for round one.

Cowboys coach Paul Green now only need watch the brief highlights of Saturday night's game to be aware of St George Illawarra's pre-season frailties.

The Dragons can be thankful North Queensland are without Johnathan Thurston these days.

His left-sided show-and-go and deft kick would have created all forms of havoc to the Dragons defence, based on Saturday night's showing.

And of course, it is only a trial. No need to panic.

The new-look spine - with captain Gareth Widdop at fullback, Corey Norman pairing with Ben Hunt, Matt Dufty's bench impetus and hooker Cameron McInnes to spend short shifts tag-teaming at dummy-half - showed some promise.

But with Jack de Belin stood down indefinitely while facing rape allegations, the practicalities in the middle of the field has meant fellow NSW State of Origin forward Tyson Frizell will need to fill the void.

r439_0_2313_3470_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Corey Norman

Suspended Korbin Sims - recruited from Brisbane in the off-season, after being part of the crushing 48-18 elimination final loss to the Dragons in September, Bennett's final game at the Broncos before joining the Bunnies - will provide precious defensive impact when he is available in round three.

The promising Jacob Host is likely to shift to the right edge, with Ben Hunt and whatever combination of Zac Lomax, Euan Aitken and Mikaele Ravalawa McGregor lands on following the retirement of Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald's exit to the Cowboys.

"They were a bit indecisive but Tyson has been training on that right edge all pre-season and obviously we have moved him this week so the next person who goes there [right second-row] will have a couple of weeks to prepare," McGregor said.

"I will name my centre and winger early next week so that combination can have a couple of weeks to get ready for round one.

"Tonight gave me a little bit of clarity of where I am going to go next week."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...n-ripple-effect-of-de-belin-decision/?cs=3713

The calm one

Juniors
No charity shield win in 6 years under mary .No aggression team couldn't tackle no structure. No ingles no Reynolds for souths . We desperately need a new coach before season starts.
You are not getting a coach. No coach is coming here .Not this year or the year after.

SnowDragon

Juniors
I still thought Normon played well... and that he will form a good partnership in the halves with Hunt . Whiddop at FB will work too, even if I am glad we re-signed Dufty and think he has a big role still for the year.

I thought Host showed good glimpses, even if he was a little clunky in a new edge defence, kinda expected.

I was disappointed Kerr wasn’t given more play time. He has impressed. Overall though I am happy with forwards.

As for hooker, we have riches. McInnes is a top shelf hooker, Robson potentially brilliant. Just needs to be managed.

Lafai played good at times, and clearly should be there.

So we may miss JDB, but that’s life, and we still have a good mix in the forwards.

So the question comes down to wingers and a centre. 3 positions.

Lomax has been woeful IMHO... but showed class late last year. Definitely seems like a centre, but does he need some time in reserves to get back to form. Or do we throw him into center and develop him... I’m thinking the latter.

Pirera is solid if not spectacular. I’d play him.

Mika seems promising, but is a gamble. It maybe better to give him time to develop, but we really don’t have options, so I think it’s worth a gamble for a month.

Aitken was woeful as well, like Lomax. I’ve been thinking he may be a #14 option. He could play in the pack and carve it up when the opposition is tired, but also fill in as a back if there are injuries. I know that won’t be popular, and maybe he needs time in reserves to get his mojo back? And work on passing game etc. Regardless of opinions, we are short on centres...

The option of Normon or widdop in centres is not my preference, even if it may have to be an option if the others fail...

Frank Facer

First Grade
Widdop looked good when he chimed into the backline and put on that try. He also looked bad when he dropped a bomb cold. He also missed a one on one tackle last week. If it was Dufty that did those 2 things wrong, many forum posters would be magnifying those errors. I know fullbacks are going to get beat cold and made to look silly on many occasions and they will also drop bombs too. It is going to be interesting seeing how well Widdop goes at fullback. I think he will improve our attack from the standpoint of providing the extra 5/8 role, but think we are losing the X factor and brilliance that Dufty provided us with last year. As a matter of fact, Hunt would be the only one in our backline who provides any X factor right now. The idea of playing Dufty off the bench is idiotic in my opinion. He is not the right player to be carrying on the bench as an impact player. His game isn't going to develop sitting on the sidelines for most, if not all of the game. He would be much better off playing a full game in ISP and developing his game further, than sitting on the sidelines. The same thing applies to Lomax. He is better off playing a full game in ISP than sitting on the sideline for most of the game, that is if Mary decides to pick Lomax on the bench.

If Mary must insist on playing an outside back on the bench, then maybe Aitken is the best choice, because he can also play backrow. He has had 5 years to develop his game, so him sitting on sideline wouldn't be an issue.

It looks like Host will grab the edge back row spot. I am interested to see how he goes.

I think we may need to take a punt on 2 raw inexperienced wingers in Pearson, Ravalawa or Saab.

nontime111

Juniors
at the moment im with this backline

1) widdop ( yep chimes in beautifully as he did in both trials, he must be on the field and will only improve here)

2) pearson ( CARVED in the ISP trial!! and will be a gun for us mark my words! hes had a tough trot with recent family tragedy lately and will only IMPROVE massively for us!)

4) lomax ( aitken should be BANISHED permanently from first grade with us ever again! no more of his god awful sh(*&tty rubbish defence and idiotic attack he cannot pass at all and is NO meninga to run through walls, not even up to first grade as far as im concerned)

3) lafai ( was very good last week and has a great offload is strong and is a real footballer dont care what you say, just rewatched last years PARRA round 16 game and he carved! his offload is essential to us and his strength and defence, also looks stronger faster and sharper this season so far Im excited by the guy! )

5) ravalawa ( periera too bog avge at least ravi beat 5 players cold last week , has massive legs and legdrive and is fast and will only improve! also he has the HAIR that we need its winning hair!)

6) norman ( i like him already looks good with hunt i think theyll be devestating)

7) hunt ( had massive family trauma last year so was a bit down on his game too distracted sadly, this year he will CARVE! just watch)

im only commenting on the backs as I was a centre......know nothing about forwards but im sure we can fill Jacks spot someone WILL rise for us!

as for the bench.....

3 big bodies !! and for EVERY game, ROBSON on the damn bench! to relive Mcinnes who NEEDS a spell! as he does so much tackling.... NOT dufty!! everything TANKED when Mcbaldy brought dufty on in the charity shield it was DIABOLICAL and not going to improve dufty didnt know what the heck was going on you cant break up a spine like that! and its not fair to him either!

GO DRAGONS!!!

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Widdop looked good when he chimed into the backline and put on that try. He also looked bad when he dropped a bomb cold. He also missed a one on one tackle last week. If it was Dufty that did those 2 things wrong, many forum posters would be magnifying those errors. I know fullbacks are going to get beat cold and made to look silly on many occasions and they will also drop bombs too. It is going to be interesting seeing how well Widdop goes at fullback. I think he will improve our attack from the standpoint of providing the extra 5/8 role, but think we are losing the X factor and brilliance that Dufty provided us with last year. As a matter of fact, Hunt would be the only one in our backline who provides any X factor right now. The idea of playing Dufty off the bench is idiotic in my opinion. He is not the right player to be carrying on the bench as an impact player. His game isn't going to develop sitting on the sidelines for most, if not all of the game. He would be much better off playing a full game in ISP and developing his game further, than sitting on the sidelines. The same thing applies to Lomax. He is better off playing a full game in ISP than sitting on the sideline for most of the game, that is if Mary decides to pick Lomax on the bench.

If Mary must insist on playing an outside back on the bench, then maybe Aitken is the best choice, because he can also play backrow. He has had 5 years to develop his game, so him sitting on sideline wouldn't be an issue.

It looks like Host will grab the edge back row spot. I am interested to see how he goes.

I think we may need to take a punt on 2 raw inexperienced wingers in Pearson, Ravalawa or Saab.

So where should Mary go from here? I think most forum members have a good idea where he will go from here but what should he do?

Widdop
I'd say Widdop has the capability and skills to perform well at fullback however, he is coming off a shoulder injury and to me it looks like he is hesitant right now. Give him a few weeks and then review the situation.

Dufty
There is no doubt Dufty has X factor and has now been signed for another two years. It would be a real shame if there was not a concrete plan put in place to improve his game. Our real problem is not Dufty it is the make up of our squad compared to the game plan Mary wants to employ.

Outside Backs
Under Mary's plan the back three and centres for that matter need to bring the ball back out of our red zone. It is clear that neither Dufty or Widdop can do this from the back. The same applies when it comes to our wingers (we still need to take a look at Pearson) and our centres, Lomax made very little ground and Lafai seldom takes the ball in his red zone. To me this remains the big unanswered question with regards to our backline. Pereira is not the answer as he was rag dolled over the sideline in the same way we are concerned Field and Dufty would be.

Wingers
After watching the Charity Shield game, I'd be inclined to play Dufty and Field on our wings until we have our new wingers ready to take their place in first grade. Yes there is the problem of these two players being too light however, with some smart coaching, this could be a good brandade measure until our wingers are ready. Dufty and Field need to step back inside when taking the ball and when taking the second or third tackle out of our red zone, they both need to stand a little wider to take advantage of an unsettled defensive line. More importantly, both need to be trained how to hit the ground and play the ball quickly. Both Dufty and Field have the X factor, both are reasonable at taking the high ball, both have speed to burn.

Halves
I'd leave the halves as they are and drill them with combinations that bring our outside backs and edge forwards into play.

Forwards
My concerns are with the prop rotation. For me it is time to bring in our young props and blood them in first grade just in case we fade at the mid season mark again this season. With K Sims out for the first 2 rounds, I'd put Frizell at 13, Leilua on the left edge and T Sims on the right edge. Up front I would have Vaughan and either Kerr or Timm as the run on props with Graham and Lourie coming off the bench. Robson and McInnes to be in the hooker rotation.

Bench
I'd carry Robson at 14 on the bench mainly because he can double as hooker and backrow forward in rotation. With the flexibility we already have on the field, I'd have one of our backrow forwards move to centre if a back does down.

RedV1

Juniors
I still thought Normon played well... and that he will form a good partnership in the halves with Hunt . Whiddop at FB will work too, even if I am glad we re-signed Dufty and think he has a big role still for the year.

I thought Host showed good glimpses, even if he was a little clunky in a new edge defence, kinda expected.

I was disappointed Kerr wasn’t given more play time. He has impressed. Overall though I am happy with forwards.

As for hooker, we have riches. McInnes is a top shelf hooker, Robson potentially brilliant. Just needs to be managed.

Lafai played good at times, and clearly should be there.

So we may miss JDB, but that’s life, and we still have a good mix in the forwards.

So the question comes down to wingers and a centre. 3 positions.

Lomax has been woeful IMHO... but showed class late last year. Definitely seems like a centre, but does he need some time in reserves to get back to form. Or do we throw him into center and develop him... I’m thinking the latter.

Pirera is solid if not spectacular. I’d play him.

Mika seems promising, but is a gamble. It maybe better to give him time to develop, but we really don’t have options, so I think it’s worth a gamble for a month.

Aitken was woeful as well, like Lomax. I’ve been thinking he may be a #14 option. He could play in the pack and carve it up when the opposition is tired, but also fill in as a back if there are injuries. I know that won’t be popular, and maybe he needs time in reserves to get his mojo back? And work on passing game etc. Regardless of opinions, we are short on centres...

The option of Normon or widdop in centres is not my preference, even if it may have to be an option if the others fail...
Good report mate

Old Timer

Coach
Souths have shown a few years in a row how to blood young players especially wingers and get a great result for your effort.
Meanwhile here we are talking about picking Pereira and the somewhat unknown Pearson for game 1 whilst we continue to dick around saying Saab and Masters are "too young" and promoting Ravalawa ahead of them as well and to be honest except for Pearson who is very much a mystery at the moment everyone else me]ntioned would be better than Pereiera.
Pereira all credit to him did ok late last year but he is pedestrian and people are using his somewhat tenacious but limited ability to ruck the ball out of defence as the reason why he should be picked.
Every year we keep looking for the "Seabiscuit" of the RL world or the elusive number 6 batting / bowling allrounder and our insistence on finding these once in a lifetime dreams is very costly to our chances.
When will the penny finally drop that we simply have to pick and stick with these young guys and get then away from the shambolic ISP comp.
If they don't cut it then kiss them off and go and buy a good winger by the way where did B Moz go again?

denis preston

First Grade
Losing JDB after Ah Mau went to NZ has punched a real whole in us. Korbin will give 100% but on balance our middle is considerably weaker. Host played well but he lacks size and physicality.

He is only 2 kilos lighter & 2 cms shorter than Tariq.His body will only get better as he still is relatively young. With McInnes off the field his tackle count is always very good. On one hand with Host you get consistency , with Lulia you get creativity. Room for both IMO.

denis preston

First Grade
So where should Mary go from here? I think most forum members have a good idea where he will go from here but what should he do?

Widdop
I'd say Widdop has the capability and skills to perform well at fullback however, he is coming off a shoulder injury and to me it looks like he is hesitant right now. Give him a few weeks and then review the situation.

Dufty
There is no doubt Dufty has X factor and has now been signed for another two years. It would be a real shame if there was not a concrete plan put in place to improve his game. Our real problem is not Dufty it is the make up of our squad compared to the game plan Mary wants to employ.

Outside Backs
Under Mary's plan the back three and centres for that matter need to bring the ball back out of our red zone. It is clear that neither Dufty or Widdop can do this from the back. The same applies when it comes to our wingers (we still need to take a look at Pearson) and our centres, Lomax made very little ground and Lafai seldom takes the ball in his red zone. To me this remains the big unanswered question with regards to our backline. Pereira is not the answer as he was rag dolled over the sideline in the same way we are concerned Field and Dufty would be.

Wingers
After watching the Charity Shield game, I'd be inclined to play Dufty and Field on our wings until we have our new wingers ready to take their place in first grade. Yes there is the problem of these two players being too light however, with some smart coaching, this could be a good brandade measure until our wingers are ready. Dufty and Field need to step back inside when taking the ball and when taking the second or third tackle out of our red zone, they both need to stand a little wider to take advantage of an unsettled defensive line. More importantly, both need to be trained how to hit the ground and play the ball quickly. Both Dufty and Field have the X factor, both are reasonable at taking the high ball, both have speed to burn.

Halves
I'd leave the halves as they are and drill them with combinations that bring our outside backs and edge forwards into play.

Forwards
My concerns are with the prop rotation. For me it is time to bring in our young props and blood them in first grade just in case we fade at the mid season mark again this season. With K Sims out for the first 2 rounds, I'd put Frizell at 13, Leilua on the left edge and T Sims on the right edge. Up front I would have Vaughan and either Kerr or Timm as the run on props with Graham and Lourie coming off the bench. Robson and McInnes to be in the hooker rotation.

Bench
I'd carry Robson at 14 on the bench mainly because he can double as hooker and backrow forward in rotation. With the flexibility we already have on the field, I'd have one of our backrow forwards move to centre if a back does down.

Tend to agree but the pivotal moment in the game for me ( in relation to Aitkins future ) was his abysmal pass to Lomax. He was running in a line towards the sideline . moving Lomax right to it then worked out he was going to get tackled so passed to Lomax with FA room to move.
His inability to pass and his defense reads are a massive blight on our coaching staff. If the 3 amigos are doing the right thing with guidance here he obviously is either not listening or is not capable. Either way that should be a gold plated ticket to reggies.

since77

Juniors
Anyone concerned that Widdop is a turnstile at the back? He's been beaten effortlessly a couple of weeks in a row.

Have noticed the same. Dropped a bomb too from memory although at least he challenged for it unlike the 2018 model of Dufty.
Defence really worries me this year. A few tries on the weekend reminded me of the pathetic displays against Parra & Canterbury last year - just way too easy.

matPORTS

Juniors
Now I see why the rumors were rife about Hayne & R Jennings. Those ships have since sailed for one reason or another.

We are desperately short of a (game breaking) winger and I agree with those who are saying that we need to consider using any JdB salary cap relief to recruit in this position. We may even need to be patient and wait until 'mid-season transfer' time to get someone who is the right fit for our circumstances.

Definitely wouldn't be rushing out to sign a forward. We need to give the young forwards the opportunity they deserve.

possm

Coach
It's gonna be a long year, but hey L plate already has his excuse card lined up in the JDB affair.

No need to line it up, Mary has already dealt it to our senior 'old boy' the CEO and he has publically recommended that Mary get his extension - because he can hold the team together during the De Belin crisis.

Old Timer

Coach
We need to buy a winger because Masters & Saab are no good????
Oh that’s right still a bit young for 1st grade even though they haven’t played it yet and all the while other clubs picking plenty of young players including teenagers.
FMD we are a train wreck of a club including some of the ideology sprouted in here.
If we needed a top class winger why did we extend Pereira and buy Pearson? Ravalawa would have been sufficient with what we had plus a proven player.
Now we have 1x bog ordinary plus 2 newbies, 2 crack juniors who would get blooded and probably selected at other clubs and all the while trying to make a centre a winger despite the actual centres being a weak link with 1 being absolutely hopeless.
No worries Millward right on top of it 5 wingers plus maybe Dufty or Field (not mine but others thoughts) plus potentially our 2 nd best centre playing wing and we need a f**king winger.
Sensational start to the season

Bench
I think the first player picked for round one is Widdop and he should be our 5/8 End of Storey.
We need his organisation. Dufty also should be our fullback
I think that to accomodate Norman we should never put players like Widdop or Dufty in unfamiliar positions

Latest posts