What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Anywho. Anyone from bris heading to Mudgee next year? Thinking of taking the missus down. Any tips?
I'm heading down there form the "GC" redVinme.

If you want a grandstand seat, book early. They sell out fast. For good accommodation, same thing, book early.

In previous years I would catch a flight to Sydney and hire a car, but by the time we got to Mudgee, we worked out it only saved us about 3 hours. From Brisbane I'm guessing that flying will save you about 4 hours. You could always fly direct into Mudgee if you could find a decent flight.

By car all the way, it'll be a 10 hour trip from Brisbane, but if you go the New England Hwy it is a great drive. We break up the trip with a stopover and turn it into a driving holiday.

redVinme

Bench
I'm heading down there form the "GC" redVinme.

If you want a grandstand seat, book early. They sell out fast. For good accommodation, same thing, book early.

In previous years I would catch a flight to Sydney and hire a car, but by the time we got to Mudgee, we worked out it only saved us about 3 hours. From Brisbane I'm guessing that flying will save you about 4 hours. You could always fly direct into Mudgee if you could find a decent flight.

By car all the way, it'll be a 10 hour trip from Brisbane, but if you go the New England Hwy it is a great drive. We break up the trip with a stopover and turn it into a driving holiday.

Hey mate thanks for that!

Will be driving down for sure as I quite like the trip down. I'll have to get my eyes over some accommodation shortly. Enough to see for a long weekend I'm sure!

Appreciate the response

Old Timer

Coach
I didn't mention you, nor did i say you shouldn't voice an opinion on the topic. I wasn't chest beating, nor did I turn this into a debate about the law. I didn't even mention the law in the post you quoted. All I was doing was relaying a concept to Willow that sprung to mind. The only person I mentioned was Forbes Creek, and clearly stated it was not related to his post. I have no idea what your issue is, you appear to take offence where there is none to be taken. May I be so arrogant to suggest you take the extra 2 minutes to slow down when reading the post, then read it again, then a third time to ensure you comprehend what is written.

Muz, I used OT as in "off topic" apologies. I'll use the long version next time to ensure no confusion.
Apologies for my misunderstanding.

For your info many in here refer to me as OT so it was an honest mistake on my part so real need for the 3rd to last sentence of your post as a simple explanation was more than sufficient.

_Johnsy

Referee
Apologies for my misunderstanding.

For your info many in here refer to me as OT so it was an honest mistake on my part so real need for the 3rd to last sentence of your post as a simple explanation was more than sufficient.
No need for the apology, It’s all good mate. I don’t take what happens on here personally. I know about a handful of posters on here. I was having a laugh at the misunderstanding, and that alone, not you. :thumbsup_tone2:

possm

Coach
The people of Mudgee do.

Granted, we're spoilt for choice in Sydney, but that's probably why the game has been moved to an audience that is more deserving.

This will be my third time to Mudgee in three years. The tickets always sell out fast - which kind of brings things into perspective.

Edit: I just checked https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_Shield_(NRL) and we played once in Wollongong in 2014 and that was when the crowds dropped off.

I recall now a story about it being moved to WIN to appease Bruce Gordon, this was during the diabolocal Right Game Right Venue 'strategy'. The CS was moved back to the SFS the next year but the crowd size never quite returned to the pre-2014 levels
I'd like to see the number of Sydney clubs reduced to 4 or 5 and the remaining licences go towards the expansion of the NRL to other states and regions. A second Victorian team, a Sunshine Coast team, Adelaide team and Perth team should be top of the list.

New Zealand could have their on North Island / South Island second division contest up and running with eventually introducing a team out of Christchurch.

redv13

Bench
I'd like to see the number of Sydney clubs reduced to 4 or 5 and the remaining licences go towards the expansion of the NRL to other states and regions. A second Victorian team, a Sunshine Coast team, Adelaide team and Perth team should be top of the list.

New Zealand could have their on North Island / South Island second division contest up and running with eventually introducing a team out of Christchurch.
Second Victorian team?? They’re lucky they even have the first tbh

possm

Coach
Second Victorian team?? They’re lucky they even have the first tbh
Yes I agree but isn't is time that they and the NRL pulled their finger out and got on doing what is best for the development of the game?

possm

Coach
Yes but there is no need for a 2nd team in Vic. Another Brisbane team and Perth before anywhere else
The second most populated state in Australia? Yes is hard work but that is what the NRL managers get paid the big bucks for. I believe it is totally reasonable for fans to expect that the NRL should make inroads into the Victorian market.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The second most populated state in Australia? Yes is hard work but that is what the NRL managers get paid the big bucks for. I believe it is totally reasonable for fans to expect that the NRL should make inroads into the Victorian market.
I’d love a 2nd Victorian team..

The more people that hate the storm down here the better.

possm

Coach
Do you think a 2nd Victorian team would work??
Would you tap in elsewhere before Vic??
These days it is all about money. The TV networks and Fox would be very happy to see a Gelong team for sure. There is plenty of money in Victoria and if the NRL would get their act together, then some of that money would be invested into rugby league.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Do you think a 2nd Victorian team would work??
Would you tap in elsewhere before Vic??

The three teams I would like to see introduced would (in order) be 1. Brisbane Dolphins/Bombers -ensuring that there is a local NRL game every week in Brisbane 2. South Island NZ- ensuring that there is an NRL game every week in NZ and a willing SOO series of their own and 3. Perth-ensuring (along with 1 and 2) that, every second week at least, there would be NRL across three time zones.

Imagine- Saturday night league starts at 5.00pm with a NZ game and ends at 11.00pm with the Perth game. Might cause a few divorces but small price to pay?

getsmarty

Immortal
20380938mudgee-pano2.jpg

PRE-SEASON TRIALS

Charity Shield to remain in Mudgee for further two seasons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 09:00 AM
Share on social media
Glen Willow Stadium will remain the home of the Charity Shield until at least 2023, the St George Illawarra Dragons, South Sydney Rabbitohs and Mid-Western Regional Council announced on Friday.

The stadium has successfully hosted the last three Charity Shield fixtures and is preparing for the fourth this coming Saturday, February 27.

Mayor of the Mid-Western Region Des Kennedy said he is proud of the strong relationship forged with both clubs over the last four years.

"I am delighted that the Dragons and Rabbitohs are on board for another two years bringing us to a total of six games in Mudgee," Mayor Kennedy said.

"Glen Willow just gets better and better, as a proven venue capable of hosting NRL games in front of crowds of more than 9,000.

"That experience will be on full display this coming Saturday as we host the 2021 Charity Shield. If you haven't already seen Glen Willow in all its glory this is your opportunity and tickets are on sale."

Second allocation tickets for the Charity Shield are available at 123tix.com.au

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb said: "We are pleased to see our Charity Shield partnership with the Rabbitohs and Mid-Western Regional Council continue through until at least 2023 at our home away from home, Mudgee.

"The Central West of New South Wales is a crucial area of St George Illawarra support. We look forward to continuing our engagement with our Red V members and fans throughout the local community."

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly said: "As a club, we are delighted to have extended the agreement with Mid-Western Regional Council for a further two years.

"We believe it is important for NRL clubs to make the effort to give back to the regional areas and communities that produce so many wonderful footballers for our clubs and the competition.

"We have formed a fantastic relationship with the community in Mudgee and the surrounding regions and we look forward to building on that over the next two years through the annual Charity Shield match and through the programs run by Souths Cares."

There is only a limited amount of tickets still available for the 2021 Charity Shield next Saturday, February 27 are still available at 123tix.com.au.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...-to-remain-in-mudgee-for-further-two-seasons/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
20380938mudgee-pano2.jpg

PRE-SEASON TRIALS

Charity Shield to remain in Mudgee for further two seasons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 09:00 AM
Share on social media
Glen Willow Stadium will remain the home of the Charity Shield until at least 2023, the St George Illawarra Dragons, South Sydney Rabbitohs and Mid-Western Regional Council announced on Friday.

The stadium has successfully hosted the last three Charity Shield fixtures and is preparing for the fourth this coming Saturday, February 27.

Mayor of the Mid-Western Region Des Kennedy said he is proud of the strong relationship forged with both clubs over the last four years.

"I am delighted that the Dragons and Rabbitohs are on board for another two years bringing us to a total of six games in Mudgee," Mayor Kennedy said.

"Glen Willow just gets better and better, as a proven venue capable of hosting NRL games in front of crowds of more than 9,000.

"That experience will be on full display this coming Saturday as we host the 2021 Charity Shield. If you haven't already seen Glen Willow in all its glory this is your opportunity and tickets are on sale."

Second allocation tickets for the Charity Shield are available at 123tix.com.au

Dragons CEO Ryan Webb said: "We are pleased to see our Charity Shield partnership with the Rabbitohs and Mid-Western Regional Council continue through until at least 2023 at our home away from home, Mudgee.

"The Central West of New South Wales is a crucial area of St George Illawarra support. We look forward to continuing our engagement with our Red V members and fans throughout the local community."

Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly said: "As a club, we are delighted to have extended the agreement with Mid-Western Regional Council for a further two years.

"We believe it is important for NRL clubs to make the effort to give back to the regional areas and communities that produce so many wonderful footballers for our clubs and the competition.

"We have formed a fantastic relationship with the community in Mudgee and the surrounding regions and we look forward to building on that over the next two years through the annual Charity Shield match and through the programs run by Souths Cares."

There is only a limited amount of tickets still available for the 2021 Charity Shield next Saturday, February 27 are still available at 123tix.com.au.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...-to-remain-in-mudgee-for-further-two-seasons/
I would love to go over there myself if I wasn’t on call. It would be a fun weekend.

George Sancti

Juniors

I agree with the concept possm, apart from the second Victorian Team.

I would also like to see the districts broadened with Manly-Central Coast, Penrith-Western Districts, Macarthur Tigers, Parramatta Bulldogs and the Sydney Rabbitohs as well as St George Illawarra. Cronulla could relocate or fold with its district absorbed by a club in close geographical proximity.

Last edited:

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Hey mate thanks for that!

Will be driving down for sure as I quite like the trip down. I'll have to get my eyes over some accommodation shortly. Enough to see for a long weekend I'm sure!

Appreciate the response

Hi RV,

l’ve driven down to Sydney a couple of times of late and just wanted to report that the main highway now bypasses all the northern towns like Woodbine, Ulmarra, Grafton etc.

3 hours from the Gold Coast use to get me to the old BP amongst the cane field just near the Clarence River at MaClean.... now l get to Sapphire Beach at Coffs on 3 hrs.

It shaves about 30-45 minutes off your trip.
Anyway, all the best.

Last edited:

Drakon

Juniors
Hi RV,

l’ve driven down to Sydney a couple of times of late and just wanted to report that the main highway now bypasses all the northern towns like Woodbine, Ulmarra, Grafton etc.

3 hours from the Gold Coast use to get me to the old BP amongst the cane field just near the Clarence River at MaClean.... now l get to Diamond Beach at Coffs on 3 hrs.

It shaves about 30-45 minutes off your trip.
Anyway, all the best.
Except for one thing - there is no Diamond Beach at Coffs to my knowledge. Sapphire Beach and Emerald Beach yes, but no Diamond Beach.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Well no.

You’re the one who’s suddenly jumped into a thread to try and put shit on someone you don’t like by calling names & acting like a school kid. Well at least they are not over indulging like Marmalade Man you make a habit of capturing a lot of posts and trying to suffocate any comments you disagree with

You haven’t made an on topic post this whole thread.

Don’t try and blame others for your immature behaviour.

Latest posts