What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2023 vs Souths

kit66

Bench
I didn't see the game, just read all your comments and watched our progress on NRL.com and if you just went by our stats you'd think it was pretty even - except for us making 16 errors (our worst effort in years) 13 errors to our starting back line 1-5, surely they can improve on that. All the other stats look good except maybe our kicking game which was very poor, we usually make over 500mtrs a game, today only 274, Hunt needs a partner there.
Goes to show stats don't show the massive gaps we leave in our defence or our poor ruck defence from people being too old and too slow and too dumb and too poorly trained.
I'll watch the replay tomorrow to see for myself what a rabble we've become.
Any positives ? Any stand out players ? Looks like BBurns did OK, 110 metres and only one missed tackle.
Hook's a dud but really he hasn't got much to work with - 16 errors ffs.

For 2023 we were always going to struggle unless we picked up a few good forwards in the off-season. Our backs have no chance with the likes of Woods, Fui and col holding the middle.

It's no good signing a few players 'with potential'. We are too far gone and will only climb out of this if we signed a few proven forwards; starting with David Fifita.
Viewers are advised that the above is a paid message. Written and authorised by David Fifita's mum.

jodragon40

Juniors
The stat's say it all only 1 forward ran for the 100m until Burns made the last break that made it 2. 22 missed tackles not bad at all but in the wrong places and guess who South's picked on? No prizes Mbye of course who missed 5 you always target those players who are playing out of position. Souths a good game plan we leaked 42 points. Lomax needs to go back to Rav side at least then we will have some points in us. Sullivan's speed created problems for the Souths defence and Hunts cut out pass tells me he is going to be our mainstay in attack again but if you are not going forward consistently it won't matter. I'm sure JDB and Bird will be back and hopefully both in the pack because blind Freddie can see any chance of scoring points comes from Hunt/ Sullivan combo but I'm not holding my breath. Do we have a defensive coach? If so who is it? I picked us to finish 12th but I'm worried that we not even manage that. It is clear to me that this group of players do not want and have not wanted to play under this coach now for 2 seasons. There is nothing to look forward to for this season.

jeffdragon

Bench
The stat's say it all only 1 forward ran for the 100m until Burns made the last break that made it 2. 22 missed tackles not bad at all but in the wrong places and guess who South's picked on? No prizes Mbye of course who missed 5 you always target those players who are playing out of position. Souths a good game plan we leaked 42 points. Lomax needs to go back to Rav side at least then we will have some points in us. Sullivan's speed created problems for the Souths defence and Hunts cut out pass tells me he is going to be our mainstay in attack again but if you are not going forward consistently it won't matter. I'm sure JDB and Bird will be back and hopefully both in the pack because blind Freddie can see any chance of scoring points comes from Hunt/ Sullivan combo but I'm not holding my breath. Do we have a defensive coach? If so who is it? I picked us to finish 12th but I'm worried that we not even manage that. It is clear to me that this group of players do not want and have not wanted to play under this coach now for 2 seasons. There is nothing to look forward to for this season.
The assistant coach had his hands over his face with some of our stupidity..

qld redvee

Juniors
will be interesting to see where hook goes with team selection for our first game.. Why he persisted with mbye at hooker for so long is amazing . liddle gives us spark out of dummy half
surely he now realises that woods is a liability and needs to live out the season is reserve grade
zane musgrove made decent ground BMM decent
we need to continue the offloads for second phase play .. Sloan must be persisted with and we have to keep attacking plays with him chiming in . Be nice if we could find another kicker in the team must get some pressure off hunt . rava really needs a break to get some confidence back I would give NTL a bench spot ( see ya sharon) JDB to start at 13 and bird on the bench toss up kerr / molo ( drop burns fui )
would have liked to have seen a bit more of russell
with the lack of creativity today one must ask what do they do at training in the off season we once again look like players only see each other the day of the game

Dragon David

First Grade
Souths did play slick, quick footy for the first 40 minutes with their top players doing a good job. We just weren't in the race to compete against them and the points just kept piling on by Souths.

We have so much to improve on but do we have the coaches and players to do this? I doubt it very much - just not good enough.

We as fans know what is good stuff and we lack the good - just plenty of bad. Bad coaches and very inadequate squad of players. Of the total number of players we had playing today, only a handful you would want to keep, the rest, sayonara fellas just not first grade material.

And what can we say about our coaching - its all deja vu and will be gone in 2024.

Mojo

Bench
Massive holes in defence, especially on our line. Bloody embarrassing.

But the worst thing: at half time, I’m sure I saw the entire team really not wanting to listen to Hook, Hook himself looking lost, and some players who didn’t want to talk to each other. It really looks like a broken footy team to me.

IMO: Tyrell Sloane will never make his mark at fullback. Move him to Rav‘s wing. Lomax to fullback - at least he can catch and tackle - and he’s been a busted bicycle at centre for too long now. The forward pack needs massive surgery. Laurie, Sua, BMM, Liddle - OK. We‘re still not moving up in defence and yield post contact meters so easily. we have no momentum in either attack or defence. The lack of spirit is painfully obvious.

SAP58

Juniors
Watching the game at a local club whilst waiting for other family members to join us. My wife said as Souths were making breaks at will & scoring tries”why do you continue to support this rabble & put yourself through it week after week” I had no answer but to say I am a Dragons supporter in good times & bad. By the end of the game it was embarrassing others at the club were laughing at our team & joking about their ability or lack thereof. If Hook picks Woods in the first game I may not watch he is a massive liability yet we let him play enough games last year to get another contract extension. I have & always will support this club BUT I have never been more disappointed with our effort & lack of pride in the mighty red v jumper.

Crush

Coach
The best thing about watching the dragons these days is I just don’t care when they lose anymore. I used to get emotional, now I just chuckle.
Anyway, next game a few weeks away now, 0/2 from the trials, never looked like winning either of them.
Expectations for 23 very very low.

jodragon40

Juniors
Reports that Sloan was crying at full time and was being consoled by Mitchell. Cooper Cronk als saying his confidence is shot. I hope this ends better than last year and that we give him a decent shot over a reasonable period of time to settle in… accept the short term mistakes for longer term gain
It is shot he just can't improve under this coach who has shattered him mentally. Griffin should pack his bags because the team isn't playing for him

jodragon40

Juniors
I wonder whether missed tackles counts only where contact is made but failing to stop the runner. Because that number seems pretty low given the number of times South's players strolled through the middle without anyone so much as laying a finger on them.
It's where we missed the tackles at least 4 on the line which led to tries. It was just awful online defence

Latest posts