What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield in Mudgee - who's going?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How good were the tries. Attack was not that crash last year and relied on Dufty but looks like the worked on it and we will be seeing some great highlights this year of awesome tries. Sloan looks to have Dufty's nice long passes down pat already as well as additional tricks up his sleave and can defend. Sloan and Ramsey were both great and alternating them throughout the game will keep opposition guessing that is for sure.

Defence was also great and to still be smashing Souths close to Souths own line with 2 mins to go is huge. They seem to be really fit. All forwards also looking to be fighting hard to get a look in which is great to see.

be55

Juniors
Was at dinner last night and couldn't watch live but watched a replay late last night and again this morning...

I thought we really did dominate the middle and the stats reflect that. We had equal amounts of runs (168) each, but we ran for 300m more than Souths did, and a key stat, and something very pleasing to me, was our average set distance. We averaged 40m per set of six compared to their 32m per set. I know it is only a trial but i doubt we would have won this key stat in many games the last few years. It shows which team is dominating the middle and we clearly did that.

I must say i find it interesting that of all the posts on the game i can't see one commenting on Lawrie's performance. I know he's become a whipping boy for some on the forum but surely even his critics couldn't have watched that game closely and not have been impressed with his stints. I thought he was outstanding, especially that first 20 min stint. He was the only forward to run for over 100m and to me he looked as fit and as strong as he's ever looked. He and Woods were very good early and set a real platform. I was sceptical of Woods's signing but i thought he was very good last night. It's odds-on they will be the starting props come round 1.

It's hard not to be excited by these young kids. Sloan was heavily involved and looks like he belongs at this level. Amone was outstanding and is destined for the highest levels of the game. What a difference it will make to have a five-eighth willing to take the line on with speed and footwork and is full of energy and effort and puts 100% into everything he does. Clubs will be knocking each other over to sign this kid when he's coming off contract and i just pray we can keep them at bay.

I think Souths did miss Murray and Mitchell and they will be better when they return, but i think we did dominate the game last night and truth be told the scoreboard flatters them a little.

Pleasing effort all round...

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Sua and Suli

Powerful and dangerous

We have balance in both the right side and left side attack.

Wingers galore in Ramsey/Rava/Moga and Fegai.

Sims and Sullivan yet to play.

The Manly forward Gosiewski also a goer.

Plenty of competition at prop and back row.

Hunt/Amone and Sloan look sensational.

Only issue for the side is Hooker.

Hopefully Connor Muhleisen is eligible to play first grade as we are one injury away from trouble.
maybe hooker is where McGuire will eventually end up, he has impressed in his brief stints in the halves and has played 9 in the past, otherwise how would he fit in with all the talent coming through in the back row?

Dragon David

First Grade
maybe hooker is where McGuire will eventually end up, he has impressed in his brief stints in the halves and has played 9 in the past, otherwise how would he fit in with all the talent coming through in the back row?
After McGuire serves his 5 games suspension, we should know how the club is going. That is winning more or winning less in the 5 games he will be missing. He should be biting at the bit so to speak to get on the paddock and I'm sure that Hook will have him in the 17 for round 6. He can be slotted in a couple of positions just like Mybe so that if a prop needs a rest or injured Moose can relieve him. Same for hooker, second row and half positions. Likewise Mbye can play in 5 positions so the bench could be very versatile indeed.

In the trial games Moose has played in so far, he has been great and his discipline has been very good.

getsmarty

Immortal
Was at dinner last night and couldn't watch live but watched a replay late last night and again this morning...

I thought we really did dominate the middle and the stats reflect that. We had equal amounts of runs (168) each, but we ran for 300m more than Souths did, and a key stat, and something very pleasing to me, was our average set distance. We averaged 40m per set of six compared to their 32m per set. I know it is only a trial but i doubt we would have won this key stat in many games the last few years. It shows which team is dominating the middle and we clearly did that.

I must say i find it interesting that of all the posts on the game i can't see one commenting on Lawrie's performance. I know he's become a whipping boy for some on the forum but surely even his critics couldn't have watched that game closely and not have been impressed with his stints. I thought he was outstanding, especially that first 20 min stint. He was the only forward to run for over 100m and to me he looked as fit and as strong as he's ever looked. He and Woods were very good early and set a real platform. I was sceptical of Woods's signing but i thought he was very good last night. It's odds-on they will be the starting props come round 1.

It's hard not to be excited by these young kids. Sloan was heavily involved and looks like he belongs at this level. Amone was outstanding and is destined for the highest levels of the game. What a difference it will make to have a five-eighth willing to take the line on with speed and footwork and is full of energy and effort and puts 100% into everything he does. Clubs will be knocking each other over to sign this kid when he's coming off contract and i just pray we can keep them at bay.

I think Souths did miss Murray and Mitchell and they will be better when they return, but i think we did dominate the game last night and truth be told the scoreboard flatters them a little.

Great Summary.

qld redvee

Juniors
After McGuire serves his 5 games suspension, we should know how the club is going. That is winning more or winning less in the 5 games he will be missing. He should be biting at the bit so to speak to get on the paddock and I'm sure that Hook will have him in the 17 for round 6. He can be slotted in a couple of positions just like Mybe so that if a prop needs a rest or injured Moose can relieve him. Same for hooker, second row and half positions. Likewise Mbye can play in 5 positions so the bench could be very versatile indeed.

In the trial games Moose has played in so far, he has been great and his discipline has been very good.
DD after watching moose last night i reckon he has to be on the reserves bench capable of playing anywhere in the pack , thought last night his service from dummy half wasnt too flash but at that stage the reserves were all over the field so cohesion wasnt great. how good was it to see our fullback chasing the play in defence not just watching !!
Sua is going to be a great buy and Lawrie I thought had a real good game.. Its great to see some depth to the squad and I am anticipating a 'great' year If hook gets real value out of our bench then we should all be a happy bunch of supporters

qld redvee

Juniors
forgot to mention how good did amone look !!!!!!!!!!! a bit more experience and game time and I believe he will be one of our great attacking weapons ...
what a comparison between amone and norman ...

go the big red vee

Crush

Coach
I think someone else said it elsewhere, but you cannot overstate just how much removing Corey Norman from the side has done for our creativity.
Amone at 19 is already miles ahead of Norman.
Add to that Moses Suli and Tyrell Sloan and all of a sudden we can attack from anywhere!
What a great feeling having a team with some spark, and they are all likeable blokes!
No dickheads like Vaughan, Dufty, Norman.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Anyone who was at the game, apparently there was a game before hand that Maguire played in any details, who played for us etc

Maddragon99

Juniors

It’s was a very good performance and as far as I’m aware no injuries to come out of it either.

Our left side attack was very sharp with Sloan chiming in & Ramsey’s speed is a real weapon.

Many great performances but I’ll single out Jack Bird in particular, I thought he played very well on the left edge. With Tariq Sims not coming back next year perhaps there’s some scope to revisit his contract extension if Jack is happy playing in the backrow.

Dragon David

First Grade
DD after watching moose last night i reckon he has to be on the reserves bench capable of playing anywhere in the pack , thought last night his service from dummy half wasnt too flash but at that stage the reserves were all over the field so cohesion wasnt great. how good was it to see our fullback chasing the play in defence not just watching !!
Sua is going to be a great buy and Lawrie I thought had a real good game.. Its great to see some depth to the squad and I am anticipating a 'great' year If hook gets real value out of our bench then we should all be a happy bunch of supporters
forgot to mention how good did amone look !!!!!!!!!!! a bit more experience and game time and I believe he will be one of our great attacking weapons ...
what a comparison between amone and norman ...

go the big red vee
Hook said that our first half in last nights game was very good but he wasn't happy with our second half - so there is plenty of improvement needed to be achieved to ensure the players play the full 80 minutes consistently well in attack and defence.

Overall, I can see that we have improved so much more than how we travelled last year and once the improvements have been enhanced we should be much stronger.

I can see that the players are liking what they are doing and are putting in as a team.

All players are on notice to perform well otherwise there are others in the squad who can takeover which is a great thing for us now. All positions are covered and are more or less as good as the other so competition will help us win more matches. Like any team, there will be games when we are not firing and lose but hopefully they are few and far between this year and years to come.

Sua, Woods, Burgess, Molo, Suli, Mbye, Gosiewiski, Moga make a massive difference to our team and players like Lawrie you can see is lifting which is great to see.

Amone will be a handful and his combination with Hunt will be the key to our success. Sloan and Ramsey likewise. Norman was never the answer and should not have been signed up by us.

Us winning against the Warriors will give us plenty to play for in the following rounds - so good luck Dragons boys. Keep up the good work.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hook said that our first half in last nights game was very good but he wasn't happy with our second half - so there is plenty of improvement needed to be achieved to ensure the players play the full 80 minutes consistently well in attack and defence.

Overall, I can see that we have improved so much more than how we travelled last year and once the improvements have been enhanced we should be much stronger.

I can see that the players are liking what they are doing and are putting in as a team.

All players are on notice to perform well otherwise there are others in the squad who can takeover which is a great thing for us now. All positions are covered and are more or less as good as the other so competition will help us win more matches. Like any team, there will be games when we are not firing and lose but hopefully they are few and far between this year and years to come.

Sua, Woods, Burgess, Molo, Suli, Mbye, Gosiewiski, Moga make a massive difference to our team and players like Lawrie you can see is lifting which is great to see.

Amone will be a handful and his combination with Hunt will be the key to our success. Sloan and Ramsey likewise. Norman was never the answer and should not have been signed up by us.

Us winning against the Warriors will give us plenty to play for in the following rounds - so good luck Dragons boys. Keep up the good work.

Well Said @Dragon David

dungay dragon

Juniors
I think someone else said it elsewhere, but you cannot overstate just how much removing Corey Norman from the side has done for our creativity.
Amone at 19 is already miles ahead of Norman.
Add to that Moses Suli and Tyrell Sloan and all of a sudden we can attack from anywhere!
What a great feeling having a team with some spark, and they are all likeable blokes!
No dickheads like Vaughan, Dufty, Norman.
It's akin to Releasing a hand brake or removing a Cancer.....
The boys looked free . committed and happy

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Anyone who was at the game, apparently there was a game before hand that Maguire played in any details, who played for us etc
I caught the last 25 mins of the reserve/seconds game so really not enough time to get a real picture. No team lists. Mentioned it earlier that most of the reserves also played in the Charity Shield match. McGuire, Burgess and Blore all played in the reserves.
Saw some solid defence for the most part.
Plus some good speed out wide from Alex Lobb.
Full time: Saints 30-22.

hewi

Bench
I will stick my neck out and say Amone will be a better 5/8 than Barrett and will reach higher honours. Very impressive. Last night was just wonderful to watch after all the wasted years of the peanut he is now well and truly been shown up as the fraud he was. We are going places this season.

qld redvee

Juniors
I will stick my neck out and say Amone will be a better 5/8 than Barrett and will reach higher honours. Very impressive. Last night was just wonderful to watch after all the wasted years of the peanut he is now well and truly been shown up as the fraud he was. We are going places this season.
Hewi agree 100%
Amone just looks so talented and gifted once he gets confidence and getting players to run into holes then we should be looking good . we have players that can take advantage of his talent ..

kit66

Bench

I've got my fingers crossed that that little experiment is over and we never see McGuire at hooker again. Our game took a drastic turn when McG went to rake and we started to look like a rabble, it was only the class of some others out there that kept the ship pretty much on course. I'm not saying McG didn't try or even make some good runs, I'm saying he isn't a hooker except in the most exceptional of circumstances. He can be a ball playing lock but needs to leave the thinking and steering the team around to others. Hopefully McCullough can stay fit and put in 80 minutes a week or that a better option than McG can fill in if McC needs a break, Bud or Mbye would do. Everything else is looking sweet, don't mess it up trying to squeeze square peg into a round hole.