What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield Thread - Tips + Updates ect

Dave Q

Coach
Souths were all over the Saints for most of the game.

They were outmuscled and outplayed by the Souths giants.

Then Joey threw that awful pass, it bounces off Fa'alogo's shoulder, a fortunate intercept, sizzling speed and a try to win the game against the run of play.

Taylor said afterwards that at half time he thought he had a Centres combination but by full time, he thought he had lost it.

Such is life.

Points will gather for Souths in 2007 and a finals spot is assured.

As it turned out, Saints paid far too high a price for the win.

I am pretty sure that they would rather have lost the match than have Gaz sidelined for an entire season.

Double-heartbreak, we will have to stop meeting like this!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dave Q said:
Never let it be said that you're not prone to exaggeration Dave.

Souths had the better pack, on paper.

Plus they had the rub of the green with two benefit-of-the-doubt tries. Not disputing the verdict as the correct video decisions were made imo. But in the game of football, it was a close thing and good fortune played a part.

With that in mind, I find it a bit rich that people are calling Hornby's intercept 'lucky' considering that the bounce of ball favoured Souths for two of their tries.

When you look at the other Saints tries, they were simple, albeit well executed, moves... and the Souths defence was beaten.

Dave Q said:
Such is life.
Indeed.

Dave Q said:
Well we'll see. Anything above last is an improvement and good luck in 2007.

Dave Q said:
As it turned out, Saints paid far too high a price for the win.

I am pretty sure that they would rather have lost the match than have Gaz sidelined for an entire season.
Sure, but Gaz's injury was hardly part of the game plan. These things happen. Very unfortunate.

gregstar

Referee
yobbo84 said:
Deadset, I mean seriously. Hornby, Cooper, Naiqama, Woolford, Creagh, Gasnier (for the most of it). Your team had it's fair share of first graders too.

Brisbane lost 46-0 in a trial too. I guess their season is over too?

It's a TRIAL. Gloating about a C.S. win is something Souths supporters used to do.. myself, I'm just glad our star signing isn't out for the season :lol:
well i'm certainly not gloating because saints were reasonably ordinary & terrible in the 2nd half. my point is where this leaves your mob.

going into the 2nd half the scores were level.

hornby played the entire half
i can't remember seeing cooper or woolford in the 2nd half
naiqama seemed to be playing in the forwards in the 2nd half
creagh seemed to play the entire half.

our backline ended up hornby, williams, latu, knightingale, morris & some other flegg or premier player.

it was like this for at least 20 odd minutes & you couldn't put them away with a heavy possessional & territorial advantage, whilst using a first grade roster.

neither side was overly impressive - souths looked good for the first 10 or so minutes and saints looked okay in the odd set of 6 here & there.

gregstar

Referee
yobbo84 said:
It's a TRIAL. Gloating about a C.S. win is something Souths supporters used to do.. myself, I'm just glad our star signing isn't out for the season :lol:
one of the most pleasing aspects of our club is that we unearth talent when injuries hit.

since 00' almost every dragons big name has had severe injuries resulting in lengthy layoffs.

the great by-product for us is - there's a sh*tload of talent in the wings.

tell us - who'll replace vagana if he goes down?

roy asotasi - who'll replace him

i don't know of any depth at the rabbitohs. maybe i'm wrong. ;-)

yobbo84

Coach
gregstar said:
one of the most pleasing aspects of our club is that we unearth talent when injuries hit.

since 00' almost every dragons big name has had severe injuries resulting in lengthy layoffs.

the great by-product for us is - there's a sh*tload of talent in the wings.

tell us - who'll replace vagana if he goes down?

roy asotasi - who'll replace him

i don't know of any depth at the rabbitohs. maybe i'm wrong. ;-)

Yes, Illawarra is an incredible breeding ground for Rugby League talent. Must be glad for the merger huh?

Some names to watch for this year (maybe not all in F.G. but who knows with injuries these days): Beau Champion, Yileen Gordon, Manase Manuokafoa, Sam Huihahau, Fetuli Talanoa, Eddy Pettybourne, Dave Tyrell, Luke Capewell, Eddie Paea. They're all 21 or under. I particularly think Buddy and Manase are in for big seasons!

aids

Bench
the dragons young forwards played great, hornby is all class.
the bunnies lostthat game becuase of heggarty and williams, but the dragons forwards kept them close enough for a dropped pass to cost them the game.

kooriguy

Juniors
i thought williams played alright in patches but lost his way when the pressure was put on him definetly cant have sutto playin 5/8 that is too much responsibilty for a young half like joey. didnt think he was so bad when smith was on at 5/8 except for that wayward pass.. but sutto would serve the team best at lock.

gregstar

Referee
yobbo84 said:
Yes, Illawarra is an incredible breeding ground for Rugby League talent. Must be glad for the merger huh?
it's all good mate - i was delighted with the merger & still am. are you yet another of those who think bagging the merger will give me the irrits? :lol:

yobbo said:
Some names to watch for this year (maybe not all in F.G. but who knows with injuries these days): Beau Champion, Yileen Gordon, Manase Manuokafoa, Sam Huihahau, Fetuli Talanoa, Eddy Pettybourne, Dave Tyrell, Luke Capewell, Eddie Paea. They're all 21 or under. I particularly think Buddy and Manase are in for big seasons!
how many of those were given a run on saturday night? it was a trial after all.

Dave Q

Coach
kooriguy said:
i thought williams played alright in patches but lost his way when the pressure was put on him definetly cant have sutto playin 5/8 that is too much responsibilty for a young half like joey. didnt think he was so bad when smith was on at 5/8 except for that wayward pass.. but sutto would serve the team best at lock.

Some insight here.

Look Ive made no secret of my concern about Joey. He spooks me. I prefer Jeremy Smith.

I more prefer Tim Smith, whom we are currently trying to lure away from the Eels.

Take note lads, some of the bears didnt play, thats why they got smashed.

Rumour has it they are being groomed for Souths. I bet a few are halves.

Sutto is good at lock, but we need a 5/8 and he's the best option right now.

I say we need the 'firestarter' yileen buddy gorden somwhere. Devastating at full flight.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
Dave Q said:
Souths were all over the Saints for most of the game.

Then Joey threw that awful pass, it bounces off Fa'alogo's shoulder, a fortunate intercept, sizzling speed and a try to win the game against the run of play.

Taylor said afterwards that at half time he thought he had a Centres combination but by full time, he thought he had lost it.

Such is life.

!

A finals spot is rich but its good to see you guys improving, be patient with your team your only going to get better over the next few years when you have a few juniors coming through and some more good buys. Good luck man

Penance

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
With Williams at the 7?
Good luck
For once i agree with Saab on not having Joe Williams as 7.

Mr Saab, whats your halves combinations for souths? currently

OVP

Coach
Willow said:
And they still were doing so just before kick off.

This is why i cant wait for Round 1 ... you copped it in the CS, but we are going to cop it BIG TIME over the next two weeks ... god knows why though mate :)

OVP

Coach
Rotten Rooster said:
A finals spot is rich but its good to see you guys improving, be patient with your team your only going to get better over the next few years when you have a few juniors coming through and some more good buys. Good luck man

I too used to encourage them. But you will eventually find their overweening arrogance just too much to bear and eventually turn on them.

Mr Saab

Referee
Penance said:
For once i agree with Saab on not having Joe Williams as 7.

Mr Saab, whats your halves combinations for souths? currently

Souths dont have much to be honest.
Try something with Smith and Champion....just throwing it out there.
Souths need to forget Lote and get in the market for some halfback off contract at the end of 07...something...anything.

Latest posts