What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chasers handing out fake weapons

Moffo

Referee
0,10114,5187287,00.jpg

vlad

juniors
from the nsw police website

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/recent_media_unit_information?sq_content_src=aHR0cDovL2N1c3RvbXNjcmlwdHMucG9saWNlLm5zdy5nb3YuYXUvbmV3cy9kZXRhaWxzX21lZGlhLnBocD9NZWRpYUlEPTcwNzA%3D

Police express disgust at tasteless TV stunt - Dragons v Bulldogs NRL match

15 July 2006
Senior police have expressed outrage after a media representative was allegedly caught with fake weapons outside last night’s St George-Illawarra Dragons v Canterbury Bulldogs NRL match at Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval.

Officers observed the TV comedian, dressed in a Bulldogs jersey and beanie, outside the ground prior to the match.

He was allegedly in possession of balaclavas, an imitation knife, fake knuckle-dusters and flares, which were blue and white in colour.

The 29-year-old Croydon Park man will be issued a notice to attend Sutherland Local Court at a later date for the offence of offensive conduct.

Acting Deputy Police Commissioner, Denis Clifford, said officers took action after several Bulldogs’ fans complained about the man’s behaviour.

“This was clearly an act of mindless stupidity that had the potential to stir up the large crowd and cause serious problems,” Acting Deputy Commissioner Clifford said.

“It’s disgraceful that anyone could participate in such a tasteless stunt. Fans, club officials, the NRL and NSW Police have been working closely to stamp-out anti-social and criminal behaviour at Bulldogs matches and pranks such as this undermine the substantial progress that has been made.”

“The fact there was a capacity crowd for last night’s game is evidence fans feel safe attending Bulldogs matches,” he said.

Police were impressed by the good behaviour of the large number of fans.

Four people were ejected from the stadium for alcohol-related offences, while a male person will be issued a future court attendance notice for using offensive language.

The large crowd left the ground at the conclusion of the match without incident.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Lets see how funny this guy thinks it is when Bobo the 300 pound Cuban drug runner is pounding his arse in Long Bay

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Source: www.news.com.au

Chaser man charged over prank
July 15, 2006
A COMEDIAN with ABC TV's The Chaser's War on Everything has been charged with offensive conduct after what senior police describe as an "act of mindless stupidity" outside a rugby league clash.

Chas Licciardello was filming a prank at last night's NRL clash in Sydney between the Bulldogs and St George-Illawarra.
Crowd violence when the two teams met earlier this year sparked a crack down on anti-social behaviour at Bulldogs games, with NSW police deploying its riot squad to all their games since.

Licciardello admits to being dressed in a Bulldogs' jersey and beanie outside the ground prior to the match at OKI Jubilee Stadium in Sydney's south.

"I was filming for our show, hawking off a Bulldogs supporters kit, it was a silly thing, it had fake knuckle dusters, balaclavas, that sort of stuff," Licciardello told Southern Cross Broadcasting.

"Most of the people took it pretty light heartedly but a couple of the supporters got a bit angry and then the police stepped in."

Licciardello said the Bulldogs supporters started taking his props and "were getting a little bit rough".

He said police were trying to diffuse the situation and move people on.

"I think they thought we might incite things, which we wouldn't have, we were just about to go anyway," Licciardello said.

The joke failed to register with Acting Deputy Commissioner Denis Clifford who said the comedian was disgraceful.

"This was clearly an act of mindless stupidity that had the potential to stir up the large crowd and cause serious problems," Mr Clifford said in a statement.

Mr Clifford told ABC radio: "This fellow will be appearing in Sutherland Court at a later date charged with offensive conduct."

"We'll see how funny he thinks all this is then.

"This sort of stuff does nothing but undermine the good work that police, the fans, club officials and the NRL have been doing in the past months and years to try to and provide a safe environment for people to go along and watch rugby league."

A police spokeswoman said Licciardello, 29, from Croydon Park would be issued with a notice to attend Sutherland Local Court at a later date charged with offensive conduct.

He was allegedly in possession of balaclavas, an imitation knife, fake knuckle-dusters and flares, which were blue and white in colour (Bulldogs colours).

Police acted after several Bulldogs fans complained about the man's behaviour.

Four people were ejected from the stadium for alcohol-related offences, while one man will be issued a future court attendance notice for using offensive language.

The record crowd of 18,223 left the ground at the conclusion of the match without incident, police said.

The Bulldogs beat St George Illawarra 22-16.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Timmah said:
I just think the timing and taste is off.
When would the timing be right, in your opinion.
Timmah said:
The situation with Bulldogs fans and to a lesser degree Saints fans can be volatile and trying to incense that, jokingly or not, is just plain stupid.
Let's face it Timmer, it was really aimed at Bulldogs fans.
Timmah said:
Glad to see them arrested.
On an otherwise quiet night I assume? 100 police and they got one comedian.

Next week they'll be scanning people's eskies for Groucho Marx goggles and whoopee cushions.

One can wonder the sense of outrage if something of an actual serious nature happened.

[furrycat]

Coach
I am more concerned that it may have caused some bulldogs fans to become violent and something larger may have esculated as a result.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[furrycat] said:
I am more concerned that it may have caused some bulldogs fans to become violent and something larger may have esculated as a result.
If that happens then there was a problem with those fans in the first place.

bjm8

Juniors
[furrycat] said:

So, because this dude's standing there with a fake knife, this makes these 'people' (i wont refer to them as dogs fans) want to start violence? Thats dangerous. Maybe we should put a lock on their mums cutlery drawer in case they see a bread and butter knife before they go to the game and they want to start a fight.

Inferno

Coach
Willow said:

Bingo. I was just about to say exactly the same thing.

For the record I thought it was hilarious. If something as little as that set off a few bulldog fans they are definately the ones with the problem.

Supporters from all clubs cop crap at every game they go to.

[furrycat]

Coach
bjm8 said:
So, because this dude's standing there with a fake knife, this makes these 'people' (i wont refer to them as dogs fans) want to start violence? Thats dangerous. Maybe we should put a lock on their mums cutlery drawer in case they see a bread and butter knife before they go to the game and they want to start a fight.

What?

I'm a dogs supporter.

All that could have caused a stir. Obviously...

:roll:

Moffo

Referee
gregstar said:
you pulled off 4 times?
in public?

that was just in the first half

things really kicked off when i found a good location behind the scoreboard

[furrycat]

Coach
Willow said:

Exactly.

But the last thing needed is to fuel their fires.

It undermines what the police and NRL are trying to stop.

Its a funny joke, just a poor game to choose to do it at.

gregstar

Referee
Moffo said:
that was just in the first half

things really kicked off when i found a good location behind the scoreboard
LOL!

to be fair had my team won, i would have delievered a sperm-train as well.