What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cherry Evans backflips on the Titans

Will Cherry-Evans reputation ever recover?

• Yes, everyone will forgive and forget

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • No, he will always be a merkin

Votes: 91 71.7%

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
If he backflips it just goes to show the power that Sydney has over non-Sydney clubs. You only have to listen to the shit by certain channel 9 commentators or Matty Johns about how RTS is screwed going to the Warriors yet they overlook how many kick on from the u20's or kick start their careers at NZ.
I hope for GC and clubs outside of Sydney that these rumours aren't true, especially since the GC has let Sezer go to Canberra

Josh Papalii backflipped two years ago and he wasn't from a Sydney club

johns_reds

First Grade
So is it channel 9 being shit merkins and making up stories? If so they should be banned from one game and the game given to foxsports, teach them a lesson for making up stories.

If DCE is thinking of backflip ping then it is a joke of a system, Sezar has already lined up future contract somewhere else because of this move.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Every other major professional league in the world has transfer windows and you can only sign for the next window. Not a year in advance. And you certainly do not have a special rule that allows you to change your mind after signing.

This round 13 rubbish is amateurish. Teams miss out on other players because they've signed a bloke who then changes his mind and they have missed out on their plan B and C.

The signing and transfer system is a mess and needs to be changed. And none of these problems are hard to fix. Look at any one of a dozen models world wide that work better than our status quo.

undertaker

Coach
This backflip shit needs to go. Its ridiculous.

Surely clubs can take legal action when this sort of thing happens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a rule that any contract signed before Round 13 isn't technically registered with the NRL until after Round 13 (hence what happened with Luke Lewis and Souffs a few years ago)? So, anyone who's signed with another club at the start of the year can change their mind with consummate ease.

Edit: found the incident involving Lewis and Souffs in 2008

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ke-vow-to-souths/story-e6frexqr-1111116469161

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some rule that a contract signed before June 30 isn't registered by the NRL until after June 30 (hence what happened with Luke Lewis and Souffs a few years ago)? So, technically, anyone who's signed with another club at the start of the year can change their mind with consummate ease.

Yes and it needs to go. It's amateurish. A 365 day transfer window has to go too.

undertaker

Coach
what they have actually said is that he is investigating to see if it is possible as he may not be able to get out of his contractual obligations

There is no such thing as 'not being able to get out of his contractual obligations' is this link below is true

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...the-best-system-available-20140605-zrz1a.html

It led to calls for the scrapping of the so-called "round 13 rule", which dictates that contracts are not registered with the NRL until the halfway point of the season, thus allowing players to change their minds.

So, answer is simple: fans shouldn't get too excited if they hear a key/star player has agreed to play at their club before Round 13. That means all these 'agreeing to terms for next year' stuff before Round 13 is a load of rubbish.

But, in the situation I can't help but to feel sorry for the Titans, who have already made adjustments in their 2016 roster on the basis of Cherry-Evans playing for them, only to be screwed over more than a seven-finger whore. If they can't get Cherry-Evans to play for them, who can they get to play for them?

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.titans.com.au/news/2015/04/16/management_assure_dc.html

Management assure DCE deal is fine

Thu 16th April, 07:59PM

STATEMENT FROM GOLD COAST TITANS CEO GRAHAM ANNESLEY

“Following media speculation over the last few hours I have spoken directly with Gavin Orr and Chris Orr of Pacific Sports Management," Titans CEO Graham Annesley said this evening.

“I have been assured that any suggestion Daly Cherry Evans will not be honouring his contract with the Titans is untrue."

Dutchy

Immortal
Not likely, but if either of the two were to backflip it would be DCE, he ianat least putting in for Manly this season. Foran isn't, which is such a shame, I had always admired his professionalism.

shiznit

Coach
There is no such thing as 'not being able to get out of his contractual obligations' is this link below is true

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...the-best-system-available-20140605-zrz1a.html

So, answer is simple: fans shouldn't get too excited if they hear a key/star player has agreed to play at their club before Round 13. That means all these 'agreeing to terms for next year' stuff before Round 13 is a load of rubbish.

But, in the situation I can't help but to feel sorry for the Titans, who have already made adjustments in their 2016 roster on the basis of Cherry-Evans playing for them, only to be screwed over more than a seven-finger whore. If they can't get Cherry-Evans to play for them, who can they get to play for them?
Well no technically that's not true...

This whole round 13 loophole is a myth... And it always has been a myth.

If DCE has signed an agreement with the Titans to play football next year it doesn't matter if the NRL has registered it or not.

If the Titans and DCE had a fully signed contractual agreement the Titans could get an injunction to stop him from playing for anyone else during the life of that contract.

A contract is still a valid contract whether the NRL register it or not.

The only reason why this loophole exists is because the clubs who were back flipped on ether haven't had a contract strong enough to take action or they just don't want to go down the path of serious legal action which almost certainly include the NRL in.

Snappy

Coach
Must suck being a raiders fan... to have your hopes struck on average players like Sezer.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Well no technically that's not true...

This whole round 13 loophole is a myth... And it always has been a myth.

If DCE has signed an agreement with the Titans to play football next year it doesn't matter if the NRL has registered it or not.

If the Titans and DCE had a fully signed contractual agreement the Titans could get an injunction to stop him from playing for anyone else during the life of that contract.

A contract is still a valid contract whether the NRL register it or not.

The only reason why this loophole exists is because the clubs who were back flipped on ether haven't had a contract strong enough to take action or they just don't want to go down the path of serious legal action which almost certainly include the NRL in.

I would have thought that an NRL contract would need to be registered and sanctioned by the NRL?

Every player signs an NRL contract do they not? The agreement maybe with the club but its an NRL contract, hence why they guarantee the payment if the club goes belly up.

I think this is all bullshit anyway, but the Titans can do nothing if it was true. I'd feel for them if it was true, but it won't be.

Noname36

First Grade
LOL if he had have succeeded in his attempts to recruit other players to the Titans and then backflipped.

Gotta feel for the Titans if it's true. Have moved their squad/cap around to accommodate him.

insert.pause

First Grade
DCE manager felt it necessary to release a statement during his negotiations to announce he had not signed with anyone yet but can't release a statement to say he will honour his deal with the Titans? At some point DCE has to take some ownership of his reputation and see the damage his management is doing to it.

El Diablo

Post Whore

no shit

we've seen it before with likes of Lewis, Tedesco and Papalii

shiznit

Coach
I would have thought that an NRL contract would need to be registered and sanctioned by the NRL?

Every player signs an NRL contract do they not? The agreement maybe with the club but its an NRL contract, hence why they guarantee the payment if the club goes belly up.

I think this is all bullshit anyway, but the Titans can do nothing if it was true. I'd feel for them if it was true, but it won't be.
A contract is a signed agreement in good faith that the player is providing a certain service(in this case playing football) exclusively for that club.

Once signed that contract becomes valid from the date thats stipulated in the contract.

The NRL may choose not to register it for whatever reason but the club could still take them to court over not registering that contract.

The club can also get an injunction preventing the NRL from recognising another contract which is in breach of the original contract signed.

Whether a club wants to go through that costly legal process is a whole different issue... It may not have been worth it for Papali'i and his 300-400K deal... But DCE's deal is stipulated to be worth over 5M...

That might be worth dragging it out...

But the my whole point is that the NRL's player registration system doesn't make them exempt from common law.