What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chin Grothe next to go

drake

First Grade
These guys are just trying to live the Australian dream.

No, not playing for the Wabbalies, I mean getting payed oodles of cash to do SFA.

lolesi

First Grade
I just can not see Grothe kicking a rugby ball, i think he will be a massive flop.

Simo

First Grade
Grothe is 27 not 29, but if turning 28 this year he will be turning 29 when he plays for union.

Look lets face it, as much as we can pretend that there is oodles of endless talent to replace them and it doesnt hurt league at all we must face the reality that all this press for player swapping to union and the fact that we have less and less established stars each week is bad for the game and somehow it needs to be countered.

However we are in a corner where raising the cap could create the comp of 2000 with3 or 4 teams and 10 strugglers yet only money is able to counter it - I dont know the answer and another TV contract wont happen for 5-7 years meaning we could loose a huge amount of players by then.

We cant rely on the ESL to enforce quotas as they say it every year and it was meant to happen 100 times before, so players will be attracted to there aswell.

I know and most on this board know that union is having another dud and boring season yet they still get all the publicity from getting league players, imagine if Lote, Tahu and Grothe werent not going to union - what intrest would there be this year in the s12??

simon says

First Grade
Newcastlerabbit said:
Looks like D.Fitzgerald will have to solely concentrate on retention at Parra,instead of thinking up hair brained ideas for the game.

:lol: :lol:

I think this ones close to the mark.

scottyeel

Bench
Grothe wants to be a Wallaby
By Dean Ritchie and Peter Jenkins
March 22, 2007 PARRAMATTA star Eric Grothe is poised to become the second Australian rugby league star in a week to quit the NRL and join rugby union, in a deal worth $1.3 million.

Grothe is believed to be just days from agreeing a lucrative package worth up to $440,000 a season to represent New South Wales and Australia.

Grothe's imminent defection comes after Eels teammate Timana Tahu agreed to walk out on rugby league for the ARU at the end of this season.

The ARU will offer Grothe a base contract worth $280,000 a season.

Match incentives and Wallabies Test match payments will add $160,000 to the deal, taking Grothe's final figure to $440,000.

The ARU will put itsr final pitch to Grothe within days. And Grothe is keen to make the move.

"I'm 27 and want to tie up a three-year deal," Grothe said.

"It would be a big thing to play for the Wallabies, and an honour to play for a team like the Waratahs," Grothe said last night.

"It would be cool to be a Wallaby.

"It's a big buzz having the Wallabies show interest."

Aware of the massive money rugby is prepared to throw at Grothe, Parramatta may not make the wing an offer for next season.

Grothe will play this season with Parramatta before joining the Waratahs for 2008 and being groomed for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald is aware of rugby's interest in Grothe.

"We would like to keep Eric, however I doubt we could match the offer currently being put forward by rugby union," Fitzgerald said.

The offer to Grothe continues the Waratahs' search for a new generation of line-breaking backs.

"It would be a new challenge for me - I'm keen to listen to what they have to offer," Grothe said.

"I'm waiting for my manager to get back to me with some details."

Australia coach John Connolly has admitted the Wallabies need more speed and skill through their three-quarter line.

This, he says, is the reason the ARU hunted and signed Tahu this week to a four-year deal worth $2 million.

On the possible signing of Grothe, Connolly said: "I think he'd go very well as a rugby winger."

Grothe's manager, Andrew Purcell, was holidaying in Queensland and was uncontactable yesterday.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said rugby union continued to remain interested in poaching league players.

"It's not ideal but demonstrates how attractive our players are to their code," Gallop said.

"Equally, if they are determined to get a player, then they are able to throw a lot of cash at them.

"But the answer for rugby league is not to try and start coming up with extra payments - that will only lead to unfairness in the salary cap system.

"That would undermine the high quality of the NRL competition and even nature of our game."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21424683-23214,00.html
$440k a year:shock:
Seeya Eric:nwave:

Brutus

Referee
Simo said:
Grothe is 27 not 29, but if turning 28 this year he will be turning 29 when he plays for union.

Look lets face it, as much as we can pretend that there is oodles of endless talent to replace them and it doesnt hurt league at all we must face the reality that all this press for player swapping to union and the fact that we have less and less established stars each week is bad for the game and somehow it needs to be countered.

Spot on.

Too many average teams.

Danish

Referee
Anyone else reckoning grothe and tahu had a chat that went something like:

"I think we should try and get back in the rep sides this year. Whay do you say?"

"Sounds good. Whos our competition?"

"Well... for Australia we have Inglis, Gasnier, Cooper, Tate, King, Bell, Lyon Hodges and a couple others"

"sh*te.... might be a bit tough there. How about just NSW then?"

"Thats a bit easier. Only Gasnier, Cooper, King and Lyon, maybe some more"

"..............."

"f**k it, lets just go to union."

Drew-Sta

Staff member
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Grothe is just days from agreeing to a rich package worth up to $440,000-a-season to represent the Wallabies and Waratahs.

I love how he's had it written into his contract that he is to represent the Wallabies.

:lol:

I didn't realise that Union selections were contract stipulations. What an absolute crock that despite form, you can sign yourself into the national team! Frankly, I think half of these League players are not only bending over Union with their contracts, but should be involved in Sales because they're able to sell themselves sight unseen! Could you imagine their effect in the Real Estate market? :sarcasm:

On the possible signing of Grothe, Connolly said: "I think he'd go very well as a rugby winger."

He obviously must be watching someone else, cause Grothe can't kick to save himself. This is a supposed top-level Union coach signing a fricking winger who can't kick and has limited passing skills. What a merkin!

Thomas

First Grade
Drew-Sta said:
I love how he's had it written into his contract that he is to represent the Wallabies.

Does it?

He has a base salary of $280,000 and IF he makes the Wallabies he will recieve match payments that would take his salary up to $440,000.

Nowhere in his contract does it say that HE WILL REPRESENT THE WALLABIES

HevyDevy

Coach
Newcastlerabbit said:
Looks like D.Fitzgerald will have to solely concentrate on retention at Parra,instead of thinking up hair brained ideas for the game.

Last time he did that Parra lost JT, Widders, Morrison, McKinnon, Jeremy Smith and John Morris and replaced them with Hagan, Brett Finch and Todd Lowrie.

I'm a little worried about who's next.

jimmyo

Juniors
aussies1st said:
Wallabies should just buy the whole Eels team as that what it looks like they are doing.

Yep - and now I can wear my Eels jersey if i go to a rugby game! Cant think of a reason that would happen though...:lol:

tiburon

Juniors
Thomas said:
Does it?

He has a base salary of $280,000 and IF he makes the Wallabies he will recieve match payments that would take his salary up to $440,000.

You don't know what his contract says and of course he'll represent the wallabies.

Brutus

Referee
Thomas said:
Does it?

Is that right two codes?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
Ben T'eo is a second rower and Sam Moa is a prop. Great prospects though.

I thought moa was a winger :? not sure how i got to that concludsion :crazy:
T'eo i plead ignorance on, pinch his name from a tigers thread :lol:

Latest posts