What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chin Grothe next to go

HayneHindi

Juniors
I am looking at this at a different angle. Noticing the players are coming from Parramatta, I know that the eels have a huge following, maybe union is lacking in supporters and are trying to convince supporters from our code to go and watch union.

Well I can tell you that I am one duck that won't be watching union. It is the most boring game in the world, I even watch the ping pong game that is run in Victoria before I would watch Union.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
HayneHindi said:
I am looking at this at a different angle. Noticing the players are coming from Parramatta, I know that the eels have a huge following, maybe union is lacking in supporters and are trying to convince supporters from our code to go and watch union.

Well I can tell you that I am one duck that won't be watching union. It is the most boring game in the world, I even watch the ping pong game that is run in Victoria before I would watch Union.
I doubt it'd work. Look at union in QLD even after they got Tuqiri, Rogers, Sailor, Schif etc

Brutus

Referee
Ant said:
Look on Eric Grothe I am a massive fan of his as a league player, but I tend to think as a union player he won't cut it.

The games aren't the same.

Eric grothe's talents lie and speed and strength, but skill???

I'm sorry Eric but your kicking game and passing game are non existant and/or terrible.
A winger in league can get away with being less well rounded, because you don't have to kick or regularly link up with your fullback.
When I think Grothe, I think Wendall who also wasn't well rounded, now lets face it Wendall's league career was a lot better than Eric's.

When I think Eric I also think Lote and Wendell.

Lote and Wendell without this skill you talk about have played about 90 union Tests between them. What does this say about union:lol: Not as skilled as you make out.

If Grothe went to union he'd rack up at least 30 plus tests much like Wendell did and Lote will continue to do as he chases 100 Tests.

Brutus

Referee
Still Lote's passing and kicking games aren't that great and I've heard several union diehards bag him for this.

Burwood

Bench
Sailor went through his debut Super 12 season with the Queensland Reds without kicking the ball once. That is virtually unheard of for a winger in union:D

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
All that Grothe following Tahu means is that the chance of Hazem El Masri earning a NSW jumper has increased :D

Choppies

Coach
Meh let them go. It just makes union look cheap and what little juniors they have left will get sick of it and switch to league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
legend said:
The biggest restraint is the salary cap. It needs to be raised to $5 million so players can start being paid their true worth.

Does anyone think even with a salary cap Tahu would be paid 500 grand a year? Would need to be a heck of a hike!

Not concerned with the latest defectors but TBF we haven't seen the likes of Tuqri and Sailor replaced since they left. The Kangaroos end up playing fullbacks, centres and stand offs at wing which tells you something.

It is being portrayed in the media as RU being strong enough to take whoever they like from RL instead of the reality that they aren't developing much talent. From a general public perception that is very bad news.

Eelementary

Post Whore
NIGHTMARE-HITTER said:
Geez the All Blacks must be licking their lips about the years of continued Dominance over Australia - This wont help the Aussies one bit !!

Yeah sadly whats going on at Paramatta - must be hard times to be a fan there at the moment.

It's a bit of a pain, yes.

But as long as Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless don't leave, then I guess not all is lost.

Still - it's alarming, from an Eels perspective, to see that we're so keen on letting guys go and not replacing them.

I mean, since the 2006 season and on:

OUT: Tahu, Grothe (?), Morrison, Morris, Widders, O'Dwyer, Petersen, Delaney, Peek

IN: Lowrie, Hindmarsh

I thought the plan was to use Juniors to cover the key losses...Apparently not...:?

jimmyo

Juniors
Perth Red said:
You lost Vella as well.

Gee, what a shame.

Grothe will never be worth as much anywhere else - and he should know this. Parramatta wants to see E. Grothe Jr in an Eels jersey and are willing to pay him a bit extra for nostalgia's sake, but if he pushes it too far, let him go. We'll sign Utai and be done with it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
True. We also gained Lett and a few others.

I honestly didn't think it would be a major issue if we handled it right - Mateo could and should be filling Widders' role; Hindmarsh should be filling Morrison's defensive work; etc.

But now with these two turning traitors...

kooriguy

Juniors
Timmah said:
All that Grothe following Tahu means is that the chance of Hazem El Masri earning a NSW jumper has increased :D

lol roberts and lewis will be there before hazem is even mentioned.:roll:

Latest posts