What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris Gayle labelled a 'creep' with a track record of disrespected female journalists

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Plenty of comedians have been brutalised because they told an offensive joke that fell flat. The chaser guys would do it all the time and that was on a late night comedy show mostly not a family focused sporting league.

So yeah know your audience

macnaz

Staff member
she was not treated like a professional while she was performing her duties in a professional manner.

The way Gayle treated her was condescending. Instead of treating her like a professional reporter, he treated her like a bimbo at the pub whose questions were to be treated with contempt. His response (or compliment in your twisted view) was the ultimate disrespect.

There's a time and place for dickhead behaviour like that, and during a live game of cricket is neither the time, nor the place.

If it was such a compliment, you'd think Mel would've appreciated it.

Yet she didn't.

That in itself explains how it was most definitely not a compliment.

Well said MU . End of thread . That covers all that was wrong with the interview.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...e/news-story/bd5fcd95ffb3c06e15d63116b060a9e8

WATCHING the media explode after Chris Gayle’s failed attempt to pick up Mel McLaughlin, I quickly realised I’m on the wrong side of the feminist outrage machine again.
The tendency for people to race straight for the “another example of the sexism that’s rife in today’s society” argument at times like this bores me to tears.
I’ve worked in media more than 14 years with most of my time spent at male-dominated organisations and in male-dominated shows and when things like this happen and people start claiming we’re all just poor victims of a system that refuses to accept us, it does nothing to help the situation.
There’s no doubt there are blokes in every industry, not just sport and media, who act like idiots to women.
Watching Chris Gayle, I didn’t see a powerful bloke preying on a weak woman. I saw the classic guy who’s drunk his own Kool-Aid and has the mistaken belief that he makes all women giddily nervous.
Guys like this get some ridiculous pleasure out of making a woman feel uncomfortable and it’s not predatory — it’s pathetic.

I’ve met a million of these blokes in my career and when I watched Mel on the receiving end of that comment, I was disappointed. Not because of what Chris Gayle said but because she missed a golden opportunity to say something back that would mean he’d never make that same mistake again.
I believe a woman’s reaction to a situation like this is more important and effective in stamping out the behaviour than all the whinging about the patriarchy combined.
When I’ve been in these situations I’ve never found them belittling or demoralising. I’ve found them empowering.
I used to delight in these moments because I knew the behaviour I was on the receiving end of gave me the perfect ammunition to put these idiots in their place.
I never once thought ‘Oh no! This person thinks I’m less than them’. I always thought ‘Oh wow! This person is so emotionally immature that tearing them apart is going to be easy ... and fun.’
In my career I’ve been propositioned, grabbed on the arse at the photocopier (some men’s propensity for cliche truly knows no bounds), I even had one guy take all his clothes off in our office because I wasn’t paying him any attention.
People talk about women in these situations as being victims but in all these scenarios I’ve never felt more powerful because I could see these were weak, insecure, emotionally unintelligent men and putting them in their place would be an absolute cake walk.

Calling this a wider social or gender issue unfortunately doesn’t do anything to change the behaviour of blokes like this. All it does is confirm their naive and antiquated suspicions that we’re all just silly little women who can’t take a joke.
Mel said herself she’s never experienced anything but respect from men on the sidelines so this was a surprise for her. She’s not making a big deal about it and has said countless times she’d like to move on, but there are so many people who love getting outraged on a ‘victim’s’ behalf regardless of whether the ‘victim’ is outraged herself.
By jumping straight on the inequality bandwagon we’re painting a whole gender with a brush that’s coloured by a minority. For the vast majority of men I’ve worked with it’s made absolutely no difference that I’m a women. For those who it did matter to, they quickly changed their minds when they realised I wasn’t going to take the rubbish they were dishing out.
I shouldn’t have had to earn their respect that way but the reality is that once they realised I was a worthy opponent, they looked at me differently and never tried it again.
As women, we need to stop seeing ourselves as victims and start realising how much power we have to tell blokes who try and belittle us to grow the hell up.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I used to delight in these moments because I knew the behaviour I was on the receiving end of gave me the perfect ammunition to put these idiots in their place.

The article above what Undertaker posted says Rachael Corbett would have reacted differently

She goes on a massive waffle (see above) how guys cracked on to her at the work place, "millions of times" (her words) talks as though she is the only women who gets hit on by creeps and talks as though she has the ultimate answer, by putting them down.

However not once does she say how different would she have reacted, what words would she have said...on live national tv.

Mel played it perfectly my dear. You keep on keeping the millions of wolves at bay darling

Last edited:

beave

Coach
When I read that above News article, I was praying to god it wasn't one written by Bourbs.Thankfully clicking on the link answered my question.

Phew!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well said MU . End of thread . That covers all that was wrong with the interview.

it shows he has double standards like idiot feminists do

he also thinks the channel 7 weather girl would throw herself under a bus if the bald head wanker asked her to

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I see the media are still managing to squeeze out a few more articles today, broadly based around the fact that Australian sports culture needs a change.

I think a lot of them are overlooking the fact that Gayle is not Australian.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Oh look - my previous comments are confirmed:

Mel said herself she?s never experienced anything but respect from men on the sidelines so this was a surprise for her.

As I thought, she was out of her depth and not trained for this situation by her employer.

I?ve met a million of these blokes in my career and when I watched Mel on the receiving end of that comment, I was disappointed. Not because of what Chris Gayle said but because she missed a golden opportunity to say something back that would mean he?d never make that same mistake again.

Well I agree, Mel handled the situation poorly and Gayle handed her a golden opportunity to do something better than "I'm not blushing".

I believe a woman?s reaction to a situation like this is more important and effective in stamping out the behaviour than all the whinging about the patriarchy combined.
When I?ve been in these situations I?ve never found them belittling or demoralising. I?ve found them empowering.

Well yeah - As I said Gayle by hitting on her had put himself in a position of weakness.

I never once thought ?Oh no! This person thinks I?m less than them?. I always thought ?Oh wow! This person is so emotionally immature that tearing them apart is going to be easy ... and fun.?

An option I also gave to Mel to have done in reply. I don't think its necessarily the best option for a confident and talented woman, but it certainly displays more gumption, talent and confidence than Mel did by making the situation just plain awkward with "I'm not blushing" and back to cricket talk as there is now a big elephant in the room that Mel will not talk about.

It is bizarre that Gayle is fined for both Channel 10's and Mel's poor handling of it.

#smooth? Would have been better as something along the lines of #crashandburned "player" @henrygayle. Oh well your batting strike rate is high.

Smooth is when you get the date, shot down is when you do not.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/chris-gayle-exposed-himself-to-me-woman/ar-AAgn9WS?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

Cricketer Chris Gayle, already facing a barrage of criticism over inappropriate remarks to a female television reporter, allegedly indecently exposed himself to a woman during a Sydney training session at last year's World Cup.

The Australian woman, who was working around the West Indies team in Sydney, has detailed the incident to Fairfax Media. In the course of her work she entered the team dressing room to get a sandwich as she hadn't eaten all day, thinking the players were on the field training.

Instead, she found Gayle in the room with one other player. Gayle was wrapped in a towel, which she says he pulled down to partially expose his genitals to her while saying to her: "Are you looking for this?"

It is understood West Indies team manager Richie Richardson was told about the incident, but Gayle was not named. Richardson then sent an email to all West Indies players demanding women working around the team be treated with respect.

The new revelations came as the Melbourne Renegades announced they would fine Gayle $10,000 for his controversial live interview with Channel Ten's Mel McLaughlin on Monday night. Gayle asked an uncomfortable McLaughlin if she wanted to come out for a drink with him, before quickly adding "don't blush, baby".

On Tuesday morning, Gayle delivered a half-hearted apology and said his comments had been "blown out of proportion". Renegades chief executive Stuart Coventry described his comments as a "one-off".Several other female journalists also came forward to detail inappropriate comments or unwelcome advances by Gayle.

The female employee involved in last year's incident does not want to be identified, but has explained she was motivated to tell her story "in support of [Channel Ten reporter] Mel McLaughlin last night, and to support the many other women working as career professionals in sport who shouldn't have to put up with this kind of treatment".

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Funny how that article only came out today.

Ch 9 broke that news this morning and got absolutely slated for it for not reporting it when it actually happened.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hilarious anyone would think there's a retort that would have meant Gayle would never do it again - seriously :lol:

lol yeah the wonder woman knows it all :lol:

Hopefully when Mel gets hit on "a million times" only then she can be experienced enough to handle such a situation :lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The female employee involved in last year's incident does not want to be identified, but has explained she was motivated to tell her story "in support of [Channel Ten reporter] Mel McLaughlin last night, and to support the many other women working as career professionals in sport who shouldn't have to put up with this kind of treatment".

Well I hope she has at least been identified to Chris Gayle - and that he has the right to face his unidentified accuser.

I read that article and thought it left so many questions to be answered:

Did she have permission to be in the dressing room?

Was she announced to the players that she would be entering the dressing room?

Is the West Indian dressing room normally where West Indian reporters' lunch is kept?

Is the West Indian dressing room normally where Australian reporters' lunch is kept?

What expectations to privacy for players from media intrusion is reasonable?

Does privacy from media extend to the player dressing room?

Did Gayle even know that she was media?

Latest posts