What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clash between NRL and AFL blockbusters is a disgrace

The Tank

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23422266-5003409,00.html

TWO of the biggest football games of the season will be held in Brisbane on Friday and we know the loser . . . you.
Incredibly, inexcusably and hopefully never again, two blockbusters from rival codes have been scheduled in the same Friday time timeslot . . . the Broncos will play the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium while the Lions will take on Collingwood at the Gabba.
Any sports fan who can find a spare taxi in Brisbane at 10pm on Friday should immediately be conscripted to the search for Osama bin Laden.

Brisbane has become a city full of sports "floaters" – fans who support the city first and the team second and go to whatever is hot.

Regrettably the floating fan has been torpedoed.

He – or she – must go to one venue or the other or, even worse, sit on the couch at home with an itchy trigger finger on the remote, finding the enjoyment of the games diluted by trying to watch both for that crucial hour after 8.30pm when they overlap.

Lions chief executive Michael Bowers said five months ago it would be "absolute madness" if the two games clashed. Sadly they have.

Surprisingly, neither club seems to be bleeding at the box office.

The Lions believe they may beat last year's Gabba high of 34,000 recorded against Geelong and the Broncos are tipping 40,000-45,000.

Collingwood is a massive drawcard because it is a club that has the gilt-edged box-office appeal of being widely loved and even more widely hated.

But the games will still cannibalise each other with TV ratings and will cost each other a few thousand fans, which is regrettable because these two splendid events deserve their own grand stage.

The Broncos-Cowboys match is a celebration of 100 years of rugby league in Queensland while the Lions are keen to prove themselves in the Friday night timeslot in the hope of scheduling further games there.

The cross-code clash all but became reality on October 26 last year when the AFL put out its draw.

AFL officials claimed then, that because it was the first code to take the Friday timeslot, it was rugby league's responsibility to accept the challenge and program the Broncos-Cowboys match on a Sunday.

The trouble was that rugby league officials, though they had released only the weekend's games and not the timeslots, knew Friday night would be the Broncos' destiny because Channel 9, which has the final say on match-of-the-round rights, wanted it that way.

The argument has lobbed back and forth for months.

AFL fans say their code has the courage to announce its full broadcast schedule for the winter at the start of the season so it is not reduced to the whims of TV planners at a few weeks' notice. (League allocates its games a few weeks beforehand.)

But league officials argue that it would have taken only a phone call from AFL headquarters to their league counterparts for the AFL boys to learn the Friday slot – which the Lions hadn't touched in Brisbane for six years – would be occupied by the Broncos-Cowboys derby.

League has paid the price for being beaten to the punch in its confirmation of dates.

The AFL has paid the price for not doing its checks or simply being over-ambitious.

In Melbourne, the AFL could schedule a major game against a royal wedding and it would smack some white bottom.

But in Queensland it needs more sensitive programming, a touch of the Kenny Rogers in knowing when to hold and fold them.

Humility is not a strong point of the AFL but sometimes, when an opponent is firing rockets at you, it's smarter to hide in your bunker for a while before firing back.

The AFL will lose the TV ratings battle to league because in Brisbane it always does.

The Lions and Broncos have massive crowd appeal this season because they are both at fascinating stages of their development.

Lions crowds have watched home games over the past two decades where they knew their side would win by 60 points and, in other years, where they expected to lose by that or more.

This is an in-between year. No one seems sure what they are capable of.

It's interesting and exciting. They may have been beaten by West Coast on Saturday night but it was a hell of a scrap. They've got something. We don't yet know how much.

The Broncos are in a similar boat. They thrashed Penrith in the first round but people were so unconvinced of their true worth that in last week's Courier-Mail, nine of the 12 tipsters went with the Roosters to beat them on Good Friday.

They made fools of the pundits (me included) and look set to outshine the expectations of everyone bar themselves this year.

:roll:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The AFL would've bent over had the NRL told them when the game was earlier? :lol:

THE AFL F*CKING MADE A BULLSH!T STORY UP ABOUT IT BEING THEIR SESQUICENTENNIAL FFS!

Someone, please tell me how 150 years of AFL comes 12 years after 100 years? :?

Karmawave

Bench
It is still a pretty sh*t go, but clashes with the Swans playing at the SCG alongside a Roosters/Rabbitohs game or Waratahs Union game have been common for years.

Eelectrica

Referee
Got my tickets to the Bronx - Coyboys game :cool:
AFL can kiss my Ass. QLD is a league state and we don't take a backward step to them.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The fumbleballer's will be lucky to crack 30,000. Considering that this is supposed to be a glamour match then that's pretty sad.

kkingston

Juniors
Brisbaine- collingwood is not a glamour match. collingwood are the manly of AFL everyone loves to beat them

Razor

Coach
So the NRL should go agaisnt them. If the NRL decided not to, it would be conceding defeat. If the AFL is shown on TV at 7:30(which hasn't happened in Brisbane on Friday for years) the AFL will be beaten by at least 200.000 viewers.

mightybears

Bench
kkingston said:
Brisbaine- collingwood is not a glamour match. collingwood are the manly of AFL everyone loves to beat them

the crowd will still be good [every 6th afl supports the pies or something like that-always a massive support base], pie fans will get day release, get off the park bench, stop begging for 'coffee money' etc and be there.

Hanscholo

Bench
I cant wait to see the tumbleweeds blowing thru the Gabba's empty seats. I hope the NRL make a point of mentioning it too. I think the NRL should mess with AFL scheduling as much as possible in QLD and NSW, after all it isnt like they want to co-exist with us, its obvious they want us gone alltogether.

Brisbane has become a city full of sports "floaters" – fans who support the city first and the team second and go to whatever is hot.
Fu#kin bullsh*t.
I have never floated anywhere near a fumbleball game & i would throw myself in front of a bus if i ever considered it.
Any true league fan who does consider it deserves to be shipped to Victoria .

Fumbleball will get trounced in the ratings & the crowd.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Phil McGrawhan said:
Fu#kin bullsh*t.
I have never floated anywhere near a fumbleball game & i would throw myself in front of a bus if i ever considered it.
Any true league fan who does consider it deserves to be shipped to Victoria .

Fumbleball will get trounced in the ratings & the crowd.
I think people might get that impression because of all the mexican immigrants that live here now.

mark123

Juniors
stats say that 2000 people move to qld a week.

This has been happening for the past 15 years. No wonder the Lions get 30k a lot. But you ask anyone who grew up in qld, they all tell you they DONT LIKE AFL. Some kids do ofcource and a couple of my friends do, but thats it.

Just took a look at ticketek and the broncos are all down to single seats in each category except for white.

looks like around 25-30k have been sold already.

on tv the lions will be murdered and the bones ground to dust.

If not for the media deal the afl have done with the courier mail/news ltd the paper would be full of just league stories about the broncos match.

I am sure this match will get 45k+

I am sure this was deliberate at worst, and at best the afl or lions didnt bother to check because [key slow sarcastic, little boy's voice]. "You... can... take... on.. anyone....when ....you...have....a...media....deal."

Knowing that, put your knowledge to use: The article itself - IT CAME FROM THE COURIER MAIL and INVOLVES AFL, SO YOU SHOULD INSTANTLY PUT ON YOUR CONFLICT OF INTEREST THERMO-GOGGLES, AND REALISE THAT SOME CASH-INDUCING BIAS HAS OCCURED.

1. There are very few switching fans in brisbane. A small percentage, under 5%, NOT THE ENTIRE SPORTING POPULATION LIKE THIS ARTICLE IS TRYING TO PUSH AT YOU.

2. The afl wants this no doubt. if they were at all concerned without arrogance, they would have moved the game to next week.

3. the story has no cred.

salivor

First Grade
This clash drew 43k in 2005, 46k in 2006 and then 50k last year. They've only made such a fuss about this as they know we're going to get around that 45-50k mark again and murder them in the ratings.

Brycey

Juniors
I decided to now buy tickets to the game this Friday night just to rub it in to those AFL pricks.