What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cliff Lyons

Engine

Juniors
Im a tigers fan but I think people forget just how skillful halves like Cliff Lyons were.
I was watching the 1997 grand final when people took ball skills like Lyons for granted. He just has the softest hands.
There are no halves like that going around today with those same hands. Funny enough, I think Dave Taylor has soft hands as well based on some of the things he has done this season.

Engine

Juniors
I agree with John Sutton in regards to soft hands. Back in the late 80's, nearly every half had soft hands. League has progressed in most areas, except for creative ball playing.

Engine

Juniors
Thing is....if Cliff Lyons was a 20yo in todays competition, he'd prob be picked for Australia (Lockyer is a better athlete with a better kicking game but Lyons vision was just as good and he had better hands)..

even at 35 Lyons was awesome ,what a great player

btw its good to see forwards not turn there back in tackles,just take it straight and hard

Red Bear

Referee
I agree with John Sutton in regards to soft hands. Back in the late 80's, nearly every half had soft hands. League has progressed in most areas, except for creative ball playing.
My theory is that it is partly due to the ball. The old leather hands were heavy etc. had to use soft hand. The synthetic ones are so easy to pass that they just fire the ball out no matter what the situation

however enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHsJ0zgw6Y

caspersparks

Juniors
What?
I am not playing tonight you idiot
I was referring to the Manly players you moron
Namely Toovey who would whinge at anything and everything

Toovey got studded in the face that game, i'd be pissed off aswell (i'd like to see that happen in 2days game)...

anyways, cliff lyons will ALWAS be my favorite player of all time.. no question.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What do you mean by "soft hands" - the ability to pass/offload the ball with skill and finesse, or the ability to hold onto/catch the ball?

If it's the latter, I recall the match-winning try against Newcastle earlier this year where Daniel Mortimer copped a terrible pass near his boot laces, caught the ball and chipped ahead in one motion, before passing to Fui to score.

Nuke

Staff member
How did so many of us -myself excluded- get to be watching the 1997 Grand Final today? Was it on Foxtel or something?

mrbishi

Juniors
cliffy, a true champion of the game! its just a shame he didnt really get the chance to shine at rep level, the vision, the ball skills, my all time favourite, not only manly, but all of league!