What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint Newton, This Is Your Thread

B-dos

Referee
i agree with those who are disappointed at Clints actions.

Walking out on the club in this way and at this time is nothing short of pathetic. It shows absolutely zero commitment to the club, to the fans and to his teammates.

imasharkie

Coach
Hope the rumours are true that he'll be headed our way.

Top shelf player in my opinion and will be a major loss for your club.

Parki

Bench
dont waste your time on the grub.. he clearly doesent give a sh*t about us

let him sip his f**king coffee, lets hope he chokes on it

Parki

Bench
Dear Clint – An Open letter, by a fan

The year was 2005. Shattered by a crippling injury toll, the knights lost thirteen games in a row. One man stood tall amongst the carnage. His name was Clint Newton. Come hell or high water, he would be there, leading his mighty red and blue forward into battle, searching for that one glorious win that took us four months of hell to endure. When the win finally came, he was there, slamming the ball down to make sure of it.

Those images will stay with me forever, as I stood jumping up and down on the rickety wooden bench at CUA stadium. It was one of those nights that you tell your grandkids about, up there with winning grand finals, and the magical comebacks that we as red and blue fans dare to dream about. Which is why, two years later, I simply cannot understand how, after one of the worst days in the clubs history, “Mr Newcastle” has decided to walk away, chuck it in? I just don’t understand.

So you had a fight with the coach. So you were told you weren’t wanted. That would have broken lesser men than you, and I can understand that. But what about the rest of us? What about showing the club that nursed you through countless months of rehabilitation and suspension a bit of ticker, especially considering the young guys we have coming through? What about showing us, the fans, that some things are more important than personal pride?

I never got a chance to play for the knights. I was never good enough. But one thing I was always led to believe was that the jersey was worth more than personal accolades. Playing for Newcastle was a privilege only a few noble men got to undertake. You were one of those men. And now, you have let me down.

So take your personal pride and shove it. Maybe the club is better off without you, who knows. All I do know is Newcastle will go on. We will still be there week after week cheering on the ones you have left behind. So have a think about that when you are in England or in Manly or Melbourne or wherever. Don’t ever forget it. Because I wont.

Signed

One very angry fan

Yosh

Coach
Parki said:

The year was 2005. Shattered by a crippling injury toll, the knights lost thirteen games in a row. One man stood tall amongst the carnage. His name was Clint Newton. Come hell or high water, he would be there, leading his mighty red and blue forward into battle, searching for that one glorious win that took us four months of hell to endure. When the win finally came, he was there, slamming the ball down to make sure of it.

Those images will stay with me forever, as I stood jumping up and down on the rickety wooden bench at CUA stadium. It was one of those nights that you tell your grandkids about, up there with winning grand finals, and the magical comebacks that we as red and blue fans dare to dream about. Which is why, two years later, I simply cannot understand how, after one of the worst days in the clubs history, “Mr Newcastle” has decided to walk away, chuck it in? I just don’t understand.

So you had a fight with the coach. So you were told you weren’t wanted. That would have broken lesser men than you, and I can understand that. But what about the rest of us? What about showing the club that nursed you through countless months of rehabilitation and suspension a bit of ticker, especially considering the young guys we have coming through? What about showing us, the fans, that some things are more important than personal pride?

I never got a chance to play for the knights. I was never good enough. But one thing I was always led to believe was that the jersey was worth more than personal accolades. Playing for Newcastle was a privilege only a few noble men got to undertake. You were one of those men. And now, you have let me down.

So take your personal pride and shove it. Maybe the club is better off without you, who knows. All I do know is Newcastle will go on. We will still be there week after week cheering on the ones you have left behind. So have a think about that when you are in England or in Manly or Melbourne or wherever. Don’t ever forget it. Because I wont.

Signed

One very angry fan

Good letter, do you think there is a chance he will get to read it? Someone send it to him please some how!!!

macavity

Referee
Parki - you should write to the Herald letters section

better still, send it to the sports section too.

Pumba

First Grade
Parki said:

Signed

One very angry fan
Well Said! :clap:
Clint has to read that.

AdamT

Juniors
Nuffy said:
2005 was the high water mark for his career but time moves on and you need to keep performing and developing, he has done neither.

Yes he was a good clubman, but if that was the only criteria for a contract, then most on this forum would get a start.

I'm disappointed with his soft option, what happened to digging in and proving the coach wrong. He feels hes out of favour and therefore throws in the towel.

Not exactly the fitting exit of a proud clubman?

Soft Option my a%$e. If the coach dont like you (and he is also a selector and in Y1 of r 3 Yr contract) thn you dont stand a chance in a politically dominated sport like RL. He had his 100 games of pure effort and did the Jersey Proud. Time to allow him to move on and achieve his goals without being bagged out like a lot of you have done to him. He is entitled to publicly state why he is leaving.

There should be more honesty in this sport and he was a more honest toiler - more than most - and unlike the Powder Puff Girls Josh Perry and Adam Woolnough. They have had time to impress and they havent. At least Clint showed more heart and ticker than both those book ends did together.

If the Coacsh didnt have any future plans for Clint. then I suspect about 6 other first graders are $hitting themselves today.

Big Tim

First Grade
Blah blah blah blah blah.

If Clint didnt do the right thing then why dod the club let him go???

They didnt want him and he didnt need them.... whats the problem.

if the score was Kinghts 71 Broncos 6 would you all be crucifying him???

He has now scored a job at the Storm, who by current standards are front runners to take the title.

Clint was a great club man who will be missed by me and many other fans.

Yosh

Coach
Big Tim said:
Blah blah blah blah blah.

If Clint didnt do the right thing then why dod the club let him go???

They didnt want him and he didnt need them.... whats the problem.

if the score was Kinghts 71 Broncos 6 would you all be crucifying him???

He has now scored a job at the Storm, who by current standards are front runners to take the title.

SCREW HIM!!!!:D

He like typified what 'Dogging your mates' is. But yeah good luck at the strom, will need it against Newie if he plays at Newie. He will get some loud ass boos and get some beating from our forwards (if our forwards can dish a beating that is);-)

macavity

Referee
a great club man that spat the dummy when things didn't go his way

what exactly is a "club man"

would seem to me to be someone who puts the club, its fans and his teammates above himself.

Clint has done the exact opposite.

he is a DOG.

I would expect you to understand that timbo.

Big Tim

First Grade
Many of you say that about one A. Johns

Put it this way, if my boss told me I wasnt needed next year I would look for another job now, and if I found one I would tell him to stick it.

Clint hadnt found another job, but he had a serious offer on the table from London and he chose to take far less money and have a shot at an NRL title.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Big Tim said:
Many of you say that about one A. Johns

Put it this way, if my boss told me I wasnt needed next year I would look for another job now, and if I found one I would tell him to stick it.

Clint hadnt found another job, but he had a serious offer on the table from London and he chose to take far less money and have a shot at an NRL title.

Unless of course you were on a term contract, in which case, you'd have to fulfil your contract. Which is what happens in the NRL. There is an imense difference between a regular job and playing a sport for a living.

perverse

Referee
Gene Krupa said:
Unless of course you were on a term contract, in which case, you'd have to fulfil your contract. Which is what happens in the NRL. There is an imense difference between a regular job and playing a sport for a living.
lets not even mention the commitment to your teammates that you don't get in your average workplace.. or the fact that he chose to stick around to reach a personal milestone.. or any of the rest of it..

Big Tim said:
Not by me mate. He reminds me of Nicolas Anelka, the french soccer striker, in so far as he whinges everytime things at a club don't go his way and he then jumps ship to a more prosperous club because he wants to win a title. Sadly Anelka's natural brilliance doesn't remotely translate to clint.

Nuffy

Bench
He claimed to be a clubman but leaves like a sook when he could have stuck with the club and toughed out the year.......................for his team mates at the very least.

I actually think that he tried to muscle a new contract out of the club and it backfired. He was still yet to receive an offer, and went the " I've got other offers" route to try and engineer some leverage. I suspect that the release request was the final aspect of the brinkmanship and it failed.

Then when he didn't get his way he hung around long enough to get 100 games and then pulled the pin.

Everything he achieved at the club (which by the way wasn't alot) will be forever tarnished by his last week.

B-dos

Referee
Big Tim said:

you dont win premierships playing reserve grade. Clint will be relying on injuries to play FG.

Latest posts