What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clive Churchill Medalist

DCE 4 CC?

• Yes

Votes: 67 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%

• Total voters
1986 Peter Sterling
1987 Cliff Lyons
1988 Paul Dunn
1989 Bradley Clyde
1990 Ricky Stuart
1991 Bradley Clyde
1992 Allan Langer
1993 Brad Mackay
1994 David Furner
1995 Jim Dymock
1996 Geoff Toovey
1997 Robbie O'Davis
1998 Gorden Tallis
1999 Brett Kimmorley
2000 Darren Lockyer
2001 Andrew Johns
2002 Craig Fitzgibbon
2003 Luke Priddis
2004 Willie Mason
2005 Scott Prince
2006 Shaun Berrigan
2007 Greg Inglis
2008 Brent Kite
2009 Billy Slater
2010 Darius Boyd
2011 Glenn Stewart
2012 Cooper Cronk
2013 Daly Cherry-Evans

All winners have played for Australia.
How long have the Kangaroo selectors been picking the winner? Since 86?

Canard

Immortal
+1.

It's an absolute insult to all league fans when someone from the losing side wins the medal.

Its an insult to everyone's intelligence to believe that someone in a losing team can't be the best player on the field.

JJ

Immortal
Worse was Clyde winning it in 91 - Roycie Simmons!!! - or Geyer, Cartwright, Fittler van der Voort, Dunn, Walker, Aleaxander, Carter, Izzard etc... and Meninga was immense for Canberra as I recall (Clyde was 2nd best in green)

I don't think it was an awful decision, Williams and Hayne aside everyone on the field was pretty good - the likes of Kite, Watmough, Matai Foran and Horo were excellent, and on the other side I ythought Friend, Moa, Maloney, RTS, Tupou and Mini were great too, and of couse SBW was awesome in the second half.

Thought after the beat up, Wairea Hargreaves was found wanting, and did Mitchel Pearce play?

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Tawera Nikau got robbed in 99, he single handedly dragged the Storm back into that game.

bellyache

Bench
DCE fully deserving winner. I had him earmarked for it but thought they would join in the fap off and give it to $BW. After all it had to go to best on ground so they could hardly give it to Schubert.
Nice touch by the Rorters fans booing him when he received it. Classy.
WTF/NFIBRA? The boo's were from the Beagles fans babe.. Cause The "medalist" couldn't win them tha game dopey....

DC_fan

Coach
I thought it was a joke when his name was announced. Not even Manly best player.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Meh. People would have whinged no matter who got the medal.

I didn't think Maloney would get it after his hair-pull on Wolfman - stay classy James.

Lambretta

First Grade
[/I][/B]

A bit of an overstatement there, princess. Chicken fans - yes, Sea Chook fans - no.

That's because they'd all left the stadium by then

The panel choosing the medalist was

Bob Fulton (Manly)
Bob McCarthy (Souths)
Allan Smith (Queensland)
Des Morris (ex Wynnum Manly and Queensland)

Now I wonder why a Queenslander that plays for Manly was awarded the medal :lol: :oops:

dice

Juniors
Its an insult to everyone's intelligence to believe that someone in a losing team can't be the best player on the field.

If roosters dominated the game then I would agree. But in such a close game which wasn't decided until near fulltime it is quite plausible.

My only disappointment is it highlights the contradiction of 2004 where Fittler created enough opportunities to win two grand finals.

Danish

Referee
Meh. People would have whinged no matter who got the medal.

I didn't think Maloney would get it after his hair-pull on Wolfman - stay classy James.

Hair pull? :lol:

Tapping a bloke on the head for making an error... That never ever happens

Loudstrat

Coach
I thought it was a joke when his name was announced. Not even Manly best player.
Not as big a joke as a Souffs fan with a Cowboys avatar :lol::lol:

Anyone got a quote of McCarthy's rant in the SMH? Subscription bar got me

Lambretta

First Grade
In more detail from same article

"We get told to pick the best player on the ground, and the best player on the ground was Cherry-Evans," McCarthy said. "Whether he came from Easts or Manly ... it's just how it was. It's happened before. He was the best player on the ground.

"Every time he got the ball he was dangerous. If Manly had won ... there'd be none of this. Manly were leading 18-8, and it was Cherry-Evans.
"Then when Easts came over the top, it was still Cherry-Evans. No one really took it off him.

"Would you give it to Maloney?" McCarthy said. "What did he do? Twice he got caught with nothing to do, and he put the ball in the air and they scored a try. He was cornered. That was luck. You can't give a Churchill Medal for that, or for kicking four goals.
"I think Sam Moa was possibly their best player, but he played 45 minutes. You can't give a bloke a Churchill Medal for that. But that 45 minutes was quality."
Of Williams, he said: "Sonny was awful in first half. He came good with 10 minutes to go when Manly had their two front-rowers and Watmough off the field."

Asked about the sight of Cherry-Evans receiving his award amidst a chorus of boos, McCarthy said: "That's got nothing to do with us. That's the Roosters supporters. If they look at the game, and watch it again, they'll see he was the best player on the field."

Lambretta

First Grade
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with a player from the losing team being picked if they've done it a little more frequently over the years. There have been a number of close games with brilliant players putting in their all and coming up short that have been overlooked. Lockyer over Philips in 2000 was f**king laughable for example.

On top of this players that represent the Kangaroos are always picked in spite of there being a plethora of other players to pick from in any given game.

Nickau in 1999 was a shocking omission. Does anyone remember 2005 for anything other than the brilliance of Marshall?

The panel that pick the winner are doing so with a definite bias. If the medal winner wasn't such a big deal it would actually be laughable. As it is, it's just sad and a blight on the game.

Loudstrat

Coach
Thanks Lambretta. Fair points - harsh on Maloney though. McCarthy just sounds like a bitter old Souffs fan. Wasnt he the idiot who coached Souffs saying "We only want players who only want to play for Souths" after he'd played 100 games for Canterbury?

some11

Referee
I thought DCE would get it before the game but after he got it I was a bit surprised.

Maloney was probably a worthy winner but if it means they're more open to picking players from a losing team from now on then I welcome it.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
In more detail from same article

"We get told to pick the best player on the ground, and the best player on the ground was Cherry-Evans," McCarthy said. "Whether he came from Easts or Manly ... it's just how it was. It's happened before. He was the best player on the ground.

"Every time he got the ball he was dangerous. If Manly had won ... there'd be none of this. Manly were leading 18-8, and it was Cherry-Evans.
"Then when Easts came over the top, it was still Cherry-Evans. No one really took it off him.

"Would you give it to Maloney?" McCarthy said. "What did he do? Twice he got caught with nothing to do, and he put the ball in the air and they scored a try. He was cornered. That was luck. You can't give a Churchill Medal for that, or for kicking four goals.
"I think Sam Moa was possibly their best player, but he played 45 minutes. You can't give a bloke a Churchill Medal for that. But that 45 minutes was quality."
Of Williams, he said: "Sonny was awful in first half. He came good with 10 minutes to go when Manly had their two front-rowers and Watmough off the field."

Asked about the sight of Cherry-Evans receiving his award amidst a chorus of boos, McCarthy said: "That's got nothing to do with us. That's the Roosters supporters. If they look at the game, and watch it again, they'll see he was the best player on the field."

Why can't Moa get it? Props have won it before while being off the field for some of the game.

SBW was awful in the first half though.

aqua_duck

Coach
f**k Bob McCarthy talks a whole lot of crap, no wonder NSW have lost 8 in a row with morons like him and Bozo as selectors. Maloney's kick for Tupou was inch perfect but apparently that's just luck :roll::roll:

Latest posts