What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club jerseys 2008

blain

Juniors
they should have just used the first jersey they ever had. oh well, just a jersey.

Knightmare

Coach
They should have gone with their 1995 jersey then. Honestly, this heritage jersey thing is confusing me:

Newcastle are wearing a jersey that looks like St George's old "blood & bandages" because that's what the first Newcastle team wore in 1908, even though they weren't the same team as Newcastle in today's NRL. Same as North Queensland and that Newtown rip-off that's modelled on a 1966 rep jersey worn by a team that wasn't the Cowboys.

Yet the Titans' heritage jersey is modelled on the Seagulls jersey, but in the Titans colours. The Seagulls wore red white and black. Even then, the Giants were there before the Seagulls, and they wore black white and grey. Why didn't they have to wear that?

Knightmare said:
They should have gone with their 1995 jersey then. Honestly, this heritage jersey thing is confusing me:

Newcastle are wearing a jersey that looks like St George's old "blood & bandages" because that's what the first Newcastle team wore in 1908, even though they weren't the same team as Newcastle in today's NRL. Same as North Queensland and that Newtown rip-off that's modelled on a 1966 rep jersey worn by a team that wasn't the Cowboys.

Yet the Titans' heritage jersey is modelled on the Seagulls jersey, but in the Titans colours. The Seagulls wore red white and black. Even then, the Giants were there before the Seagulls, and they wore black white and grey. Why didn't they have to wear that?

Not to forget that Penriff will eb going back to their original brown and white jerseys.

I cant understand why the Titans haven't gone back and done a proper heritage jersey, yeah sure the design is an old GC jersey but the colours? How good would it have looked if they'd run out in the old Giants jerseys...?

Knightmare

Coach
My point exactly. This is how it should go:

Roosters- Easts 1908 replica

Canberra- 1982 replica

Brisbane- 1988 replica

Manly- 1947 replica

Parramatta- 1908 Cumberland replica?

St George- 1921 Dragons replica, Illawarra 1950's rep team replica

North Queensland- 1966 rep team replica

Wests Tigers- Balmain 1908 replica, Wests 1908 replica

South Sydney- 1908 replica

Newcastle- 1908 'Rebels' replica

Penrith- 1967 replica

Cronulla- Sutherland- 1967 replica

Warriors- 1995 Auckland replica (or the same as the one the heritage one they had last year)

Gold Coast- 1988 Giants replica

Storm- 1998 replica

Bulldogs- 1935 replica

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You guys have got to remember that a large majority of people couldn't care less about the reason for choosing a particular design as a heritage jersey. If it looks like a heritage jersey then they'll be happy.

Just as an example I had a mate a few seasons ago who ripped into St George's away strip (the all red Steelers affair) because St George had always had a a white jersey with a red chevron, he didn't like "all this red sh*t". :(

I set him straight but I'd class him as just average joe when it comes to stuff like this...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
You guys have got to remember that a large majority of people couldn't care less about the reason for choosing a particular design as a heritage jersey. If it looks like a heritage jersey then they'll be happy.

Just as an example I had a mate a few seasons ago who ripped into St George's away strip (the all red Steelers affair) because St George had always had a a white jersey with a red chevron, he didn't like "all this red sh*t". :(

I set him straight but I'd class him as just average joe when it comes to stuff like this...

Your mate is either a moron or a Johnny come lately if he can't recognise a Steelers jersey.

NthKnight

Lockyer4President! said:

So he would have prefered an away jersey that is the same as the home one then? Kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Engineers Room said:
Your mate is either a moron or a Johnny come lately if he can't recognise a Steelers jersey.
Probably a bit of both. He's one of those guys who'd be lucky to go to a game or two a year but still classes himself as a steadfast RL fan.

NthKnight said:
So he would have prefered an away jersey that is the same as the home one then? Kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it.
IIRC at the time we were talking about how we hated away jerseys and how teams should just wear home jersey 100% of the time, unless there is a proper clash in colours. I guess he just wanted the Dragons to play in St George's strip 100% of the time without thinking that they're part of a merged team.

Knightmare said:
Parramatta- 1908 Cumberland replica?

They are two separate clubs with no connecting history, despite the same colours and the name of Cumberland, which of course was Parra's old ground.

Parra should wear a copy of their first jersey, as they did against Canberra last year for their 60th anniversey.

Lockyer4President! said:

Locky, you're 100% right that nearly all the fans don't really care if the heritage jerseys are correct, but my point of veiw is that if the NRL and the Clubs are going to do it, then they should do correctly. And I hate to say this but you only have to look at the AFL and how well they do their heritage rounds, all the clubs wearing the appropriate jersey, not leaving it up to the clubs to make up their own rules.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bolded are the ones who seem to be likely to wear the jersey in question:

Roosters- Easts 1908 replica

Canberra- 1982 replica

Brisbane- 1988 replica

Manly- 1947 replica

Parramatta- 1947 replica

St George- 1921 Dragons replica, Illawarra 1950's rep team replica

North Queensland- 1966 rep team replica

Wests Tigers- Balmain 1908 replica, Wests 1908 replica

South Sydney- 1908 replica ???

Newcastle- 1908 'Rebels' replica

Penrith- 1967 replica

Cronulla- Sutherland- 1967 replica

Warriors- 1995 Auckland replica (or the same as the one the heritage one they had last year)

Gold Coast- 1988 Giants replica

Storm- 1998 replica

Bulldogs- 1935 replica

So really it's only a select few teams not honouring the "first year/team" concept, and one of those clubs is yet to release their heritage strip.

_Johnsy

Referee
Lockyer4President! said:
You guys have got to remember that a large majority of people couldn't care less about the reason for choosing a particular design as a heritage jersey. If it looks like a heritage jersey then they'll be happy

I take it you conducted you very own survey, or are you just making shyte up, again. :roll: :roll:

jed

First Grade
Henson Park Hornets said:
And I hate to say this but you only have to look at the AFL and how well they do their heritage rounds, all the clubs wearing the appropriate jersey, not leaving it up to the clubs to make up their own rules.
The AFL sides use a version of previous jerseys for the Heritage round, not necessarily their original jersey. The AFL does have to approve the designs, but no-one compells them to play in their original design.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Brycey said:
We can't all have a constant presence on here like you, Timmah.

:? Another forum hero bringing out the "You're always on here" line :sleeper:

All it takes is a bit of reading tbh... choc soldier has also been a continuous contributor to this thread (good on him IMO) and I thought he would've seen the picture.

innsaneink

Referee
Dunno if been mentioned, I saw the Saints CS jumper today at rebel, it has this badge
trial_game_promo.jpg

and a very low baseball shirt type neckline