What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Club management

ACTPanthers

Bench
Im not a racist, never have been never will be. I have many close friends of many different racial backgrounds, makes no difference to me. We are all one.

The fact you are indigenous means nothing to this debate, we are and should be one.

Im not going to condemn someone for an innocent comment on a fan forum and nor should you. He may have made an innocent mistake with no racist intention intended.

By all means play the race card, I’m not sure our valued member intended such disrespect but if you feel that strongly then go for it.
First off, I never called you racist.
Second, I haven’t “played the race card”. That’s a terrible term and is used by people to dismiss real racism.
thirdly, I understand that some people make stupid comments without thinking, and that may not effect you, but it does to me. The fact you seem to be dismissive of that means we are never going to see eye to eye on this matter, so I’ll drop it.

murraymob

Coach
All of you drop it unless you wish to start a thread just for it.This thread is about management either for or against just discuss this please

franklin2323

Immortal
Back on topic and the is the great job our management is doing from the board the recruiters

I never had doubt. Gus was great at putting the right people in charge of certain things. So those people are proving to be capable of continuing on where we left off. Just with some minor tweeks

WestyLife

First Grade
Me in the hole, seriously, your credibility is zero mate.

You have made a total goose of your self in recent times, not a recent thing mind you, more a long standing thing.

The Nathan Cleary thing you have put out there is rather embarrassing given he was re-signed by Gus.

You must be cringing right now, I feel for you, but at the end of the day get your foot out of your mouth and suck it up up.

I think Smug meant long term future when keeping Nathan. Like 1 club player type stuff.

Kilkenny

Coach
First off, I never called you racist.
Second, I haven’t “played the race card”. That’s a terrible term and is used by people to dismiss real racism.
thirdly, I understand that some people make stupid comments without thinking, and that may not effect you, but it does to me. The fact you seem to be dismissive of that means we are never going to see eye to eye on this matter, so I’ll drop it.
it is a shame I am being the flag bearer given I didn’t have any input on he original posts. I’m over it.

stryker

First Grade
Our club management is the best in the league from media to player recruitment to corporate sponsors some will disagree some agree .after seeing the telegrapth publish the top 100 paid players.its incredible that the club running second has there highest paid player sitting at no 11
We currently only have 3 in the top 100. .That sir is brilliant management.We also have maximum sponsorships .New ground will open up more ground sponsons
In finishing up the panthers
This thread is there for all to discuss from positive to negative thoughts even Hindy and Rhyno input is welcome
There’s no doubt that your management is on the right track.
Your team is on the up and their next contracts will determine your managements capabilities.
For mine, Melbourne and Sydney Roosters are still the benchmark.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mate, I don’t ever remember anyone in here suggesting that.

I sort of remember conversations that maybe Nathan maybe a better dummy half, but I can’t remember anyone suggesting we should bring in Luke Brooks.
People thought Nathan had no vision, couldn't throw cut out passes, had a one dimensional kickkng game, just in general had a very limited game where all he did was tackle and throw inside passed etc. And that he was not worth $1m a season and that we would be better off going after Brooks at $600k a season. There were some suggesting he move to hooker and to sign Chad Townsend for halves as well.

Very few people rated Cleary as a half in here in the 2018/2019 seasons. I was always of the belief Nathan was doing exactly as his coach wanted him to do and for better or worse doing exactly what was best for our senior playmakers to run the team. We saw so many glimpses off his ability when Moylan and Maloney were out and we needed him to step up that i was firmly in the camp of him being held back by doing what was best for the team. Also that Hook having no game plans and only a list of what not to do severely limited what he could do.

Even this year we had fans suggesting he cant deliver in big games. As if finals week 1 and 3 last year were not big games. Nor was Origin 2. Blaming him for not winning Origin 3 behind a badly beaten pack. Goal posts have constantly shifted as to why he's not good enough.now the only thing people can really say he's not good enough for is not winning a grand final (yet).

He will cop the blame if we don't win the grand final this year even if he's playing with one arm.

franklin2323

Immortal
People thought Nathan had no vision, couldn't throw cut out passes, had a one dimensional kickkng game, just in general had a very limited game where all he did was tackle and throw inside passed etc. And that he was not worth $1m a season and that we would be better off going after Brooks at $600k a season. There were some suggesting he move to hooker and to sign Chad Townsend for halves as well.

Very few people rated Cleary as a half in here in the 2018/2019 seasons. I was always of the belief Nathan was doing exactly as his coach wanted him to do and for better or worse doing exactly what was best for our senior playmakers to run the team. We saw so many glimpses off his ability when Moylan and Maloney were out and we needed him to step up that i was firmly in the camp of him being held back by doing what was best for the team. Also that Hook having no game plans and only a list of what not to do severely limited what he could do.

Even this year we had fans suggesting he cant deliver in big games. As if finals week 1 and 3 last year were not big games. Nor was Origin 2. Blaming him for not winning Origin 3 behind a badly beaten pack. Goal posts have constantly shifted as to why he's not good enough.now the only thing people can really say he's not good enough for is not winning a grand final (yet).

He will cop the blame if we don't win the grand final this year even if he's playing with one arm.

The Townsend thing was weighing up paying $1m for a 7. Something that has been an issue across the game

The reason he didn't win the Dally M last was because he Tallied 1 point in the last 3 games of the season.

No one played good in week 3 of the finals look at all the errors.

As for the other big games. Pretty much the only games we lost from the time he and Luai hit SG Ball and NYC has been the GF's. The one that we won he didn't play in.

As for SOO. We have Moses now running it we can see how much affect a 7 has or if it is how stacked the side is.

We have a great team but I think many would struggle as 'stars' in other sides. Nothing wrong with that I'd rather a side like that then having the one star player like Manly

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
The Townsend thing was weighing up paying $1m for a 7. Something that has been an issue across the game

The reason he didn't win the Dally M last was because he Tallied 1 point in the last 3 games of the season.

No one played good in week 3 of the finals look at all the errors.

As for the other big games. Pretty much the only games we lost from the time he and Luai hit SG Ball and NYC has been the GF's. The one that we won he didn't play in.

As for SOO. We have Moses now running it we can see how much affect a 7 has or if it is how stacked the side is.

We have a great team but I think many would struggle as 'stars' in other sides
Name a better half than Cleary. I'll wait.

When you pull one out your ass. Judge him on the same bullshit criteria you judge Cleary on. He will come up even shorter.

Cleary has won 3 from 4 Origin series against Munster who you'll probably say is better. The one he lost you put the blame on Nathan despite being the motm in game 2 and NSW best in game 3.

It's a team game. Halves can only do so much in any given team and he's usually doing about as much as anyone could reasonably expect. Except you... He's the best half running around and you still have goal posts you keep shifting as to why he's not. Its a team game and you act as if the very few losses we have are all on Nathan.

franklin2323

Immortal
Name a better half than Cleary. I'll wait.

When you pull one out your ass. Judge him on the same bullshit criteria you judge Cleary on. He will come up even shorter.

Cleary has won 3 from 4 Origin series against Munster who you'll probably say is better. The one he lost you put the blame on Nathan despite being the motm in game 2 and NSW best in game 3.

It's a team game. Halves can only do so much in any given team and he's usually doing about as much as anyone could reasonably expect. Except you... He's the best half running around and you still have goal posts you keep shifting as to why he's not. Its a team game and you act as if the very few losses we have are all on Nathan.

It isn't always who is better. It is who can do the same job for cheaper when it comes to sorting out cap though. There is several Fullbacks better than Edwards... doesn't mean signing them is good for the club

Api is a must re-sign but very likely Edwards and Kikau go. That will be half of the GF side gone. So this year and next are prob the best 2 chances to win a comp.

If we don't win a comp over these 5 years then it is a failure. Who is to blame time will tell

Look at your last paragraph.. That was the issue when discussing this a few years ago. Having a better squad is more important then a few high paid players with the rest plodders

mxlegend99

Referee
It isn't always who is better. It is who can do the same job for cheaper when it comes to sorting out cap though. There is several Fullbacks better than Edwards... doesn't mean signing them is good for the club

Api is a must re-sign but very likely Edwards and Kikau go. That will be half of the GF side gone. So this year and next are prob the best 2 chances to win a comp.

If we don't win a comp over these 5 years then it is a failure. Who is to blame time will tell
Cleary is not even in the top 10 paid players in the game. Yet aside from Turbo there's no one close to his consistency or quality.

Our winning rate since he came in is higher than it has ever been. Put Townsend or Brooks in our 7 jersey at half his price and use that money elsewhere. We are further from a premiership without doubt. Be lucky if we even scraped into the finals.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't understand this conversation about Cleary. Without him it'd be like having a Lamborghini without a steering wheel in my opinion.

I don't rate halfbacks simple.

I will say this. Moses is a huge downgrade but do you see NSW losing that game still?

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary is not even in the top 10 paid players in the game. Yet aside from Turbo there's no one close to his consistency or quality.

Our winning rate since he came in is higher than it has ever been. Put Townsend or Brooks in our 7 jersey at half his price and use that money elsewhere. We are further from a premiership without doubt. Be lucky if we even scraped into the finals.

This list has him in top 10. Also shows some stupid wages here.

For 2023 I have this left from the GF side

Crichton
Toó
Luai
Cleary
Api
JFH
Martin
Yeo
May
Leota

How the other guys we bring in go will determine if it is just a top 4 side or can push for higher honours but you have more money to play with if you could of gotten any of those guys cheaper.

That was what the conversation was about back then. Winning a comp or 2 justifies the decision no doubt

WestyLife

First Grade
I don't rate halfbacks simple.

I will say this. Moses is a huge downgrade but do you see NSW losing that game still?

To be fair rep teams like that are exempt from the salary cap. Would be nice to have the top 5 or 6 players of the entire nrl make up the backline.