What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Our only hope for next season is that we have a similar season to the Warriors in 2023. Warriors bought in a new coach with not much new cattle if any at all. Webster just made all the guys he had play to their potential. One of these that standout is a guy name Jackson Ford. Who would you rather him or Billy Burns? Another handy guy playing outstanding is some old fella names Shaun Johnson. Hopefully Burns and Hunt can replicate Jackson Ford and Shaun Johnson.

If Flanno does that next year and they are looking good, they will find it easier to attract players as they will want to join a team on the up.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Because we are a cluster - truck I’m lenient until mid 25.
In that time we will have learnt new tactics, all those meek players will have manned up or pissed off
And importantly we will have invested in a new crop of players will be St George - Illawarra inside and out.

justadragon

Bench
In that time we will have learnt new tactics, all those meek players will have manned up or pissed off
And importantly we will have invested in a new crop of players will be St George - Illawarra inside and out.
I hope so mate, but he sure has his work cut out, our pathways are showing their true colours and the NRL side is just piss poor , yep Flanno will surely be earning his keep.

Parko1310

Juniors
Agreed it will take 18 months at least before we see Flanagan's influence in terms of consistently better performances than we're getting now. Will probably be another 6 months after that until we're going much better than we currently are.

TheRev

Coach
Our challenge is that if the Dogs and Tigers continue to improve, then Flanno is going to have to polish a turd into diamond to keep us out of the spoon position.. we need some serious signings to move up the ladder next year.

Parko1310

Juniors
So what your really saying is he’s not a patch on the new Warriors coach?
Mate we all get you hate Flanno, give it a rest. The reality is the Warriors have some pretty good cattle, the Dragons do not. You can't compare apples and oranges. The Warriors have a very good roster, the coach has just got them playing the way they should. The Dragons simply do not have a very good roster. CNK, DWZ, Johnson, AFB, Egan, Curran, Harris, Walker are levels about what we have. Let the roster shape up. Flanagan will be dealing with a very different scenario than that of Webster. Different situation in almost every way, so instead of death-riding the bloke, how about you take a reality check and understand what actually needs to be done at the club before anyone can be successful. Because I'll give you the tip, you give any coach in the NRL this roster we have, they will not succeed

Old Timer

Coach
Mate we all get you hate Flanno, give it a rest. The reality is the Warriors have some pretty good cattle, the Dragons do not. You can't compare apples and oranges. The Warriors have a very good roster, the coach has just got them playing the way they should. The Dragons simply do not have a very good roster. CNK, DWZ, Johnson, AFB, Egan, Curran, Harris, Walker are levels about what we have. Let the roster shape up. Flanagan will be dealing with a very different scenario than that of Webster. Different situation in almost every way, so instead of death-riding the bloke, how about you take a reality check and understand what actually needs to be done at the club before anyone can be successful. Because I'll give you the tip, you give any coach in the NRL this roster we have, they will not succeed
Your’e the one saying we won’t see anything from Flanagans input for 18 months maybe 2 years.

That shows your level of confidence and already your blaming the squad that he’s got insinuating nothing can be done with them.

The Warriors coach has clearly shown he can coach and get something out of what he inherited where others couldn’t.

Parko1310

Juniors
Your’e the one saying we won’t see anything from Flanagans input for 18 months maybe 2 years.

That shows your level of confidence and already your blaming the squad that he’s got insinuating nothing can be done with them.

The Warriors coach has clearly shown he can coach and get something out of what he inherited where others couldn’t.
Yes, except the Warriors have good players is the point you're missing. Harris, CNK, Walker, Curran, AFB were ALREADY good players. Egan had clear ability, and has shown that. Ford is new and always a decent player with potential, and he has shown that. Johnson is having a career year. Yes, the coach improved these players to reach their POTENTIAL. However, the Dragons DO NOT have this. They don't have many already established good players. They do not have a plethora of players with an extremely high ceiling where the coach can get the best out of them. Sure, there's a couple with a high ceiling, but those ones are still young. Ford, Egan for example are not particularly young, therefore you will not see the ceiling reached of these young guys of ours that have good potential because of just that. THEY ARE YOUNG. Their ceiling is a few years off yet. Not to mention the reasons Warriors coaches of the past didn't get the best out of this squad is because those coaches were Stephen Kearney and Nathan Brown. Laughable appointments.

I'm sorry, but if you think players like Billy Burns, Dan Russell, Michael Molo, Zane Musgrove have anywhere near the ceiling of the Warriors players that have improved this year you're kidding yourself. I reiterate Flangan is in a completely different position to that of Webster. This roster does not have groundbreaking potential already there.

In saying that, I'm very confident we improve next year. Extremely confident. I didn't say we won't see ANYTHING of Flanagan's input for 18-24 months. You've pulled that out ya ass. I said it would take 18 months to see CONSISTENTLY BETTER performances and ANOTHER 6 months until we're way better than we are now. I know you have a narrative and an angle, but don't substitute the words of others to suit it. I think to shake a lot of the bad habits we have completely will take the time I've outlined, and therefore we will still see them. We'll see them less often, but we will see them. If you want to use the Warriors as your example, lets. They've improved massively, but still have some of the frustrating typical Warriors shit in their game. You see it less, but you still see it. It's there. It will take time for Webster to get that out of the joint. With a less capable roster, Flanagan does not have the leeway of Webster.

What you fail to understand is that each club is a completely different situation to each other club. There is no exact right formula that works absolutely everywhere. Bennett for example, changes what he does at each club to get the best out of THAT CLUB. The Dragons face a longer period of rebuild to that of the Warriors for example, because of the current roster, the lack of quality on the market and an inept GM + board. Different situation again.

So, given we're in a different situation, with different challenges, comparing our next season to the Warriors this season is entirely and wholly irrelevant in every sense. There is absolutely no way you can put those sort of expectations on this team next season, and anyone who does is either setting themselves up for disappointment, wants Shane Flanagan to fail for no reason other than to push their agenda, or both.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Maybe Old Timer you should follow the Warriors. Your whinging about Flannagan just shows everyone on this forum what we have got to look forward to when Flannagan does formally take over. We all wish that we could be just like you to have no skeletons in the closet. What is it like to have done anything wrong.

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe Old Timer you should follow the Warriors. Your whinging about Flannagan just shows everyone on this forum what we have got to look forward to when Flannagan does formally take over. We all wish that we could be just like you to have no skeletons in the closet. What is it like to have done anything wrong.
Stupid post on your part as I’ve never said I’m a clean skin but whatever I get wrong I fess up to it and own all of it.

You obviously weren’t around during the AFB debates and if you were to bother to read them you would see how wrong you are in your assertion.

When Flanagan decides to own all of it and show contrition then he has learnt from his mistake things will be different for me but until then he has learnt nothing and played others for a fool.

Latest posts