What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When was the last time you saw Melbourne lose to a bad decision? Seriously that has never happened I don't think and never will. Obvious bias. I count how long they stay on a player all the time when they are receiving these 6 agains or penalties from the opposition and there is no difference to ones that the opposition is penalised. If all teams had that luxury they would also be in the finals consistently.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Is it to simplistic to say we will do better next year with Flanno. Carr has done a great job in the last few weeks with the team.

Get the best out of the younger and older player with coaching, improve the fitness. Know when to pat them on the back and when to give a rocket.

The best thing about Flanagan being the assistant coach at Manly is the relationships he would have built with the playing group, right through the grades.
If there is anything to this story that Haumolo Olakau'atu could be squeezed out due to salary cap pressure, Flanagan would be across it.
What an addition Olakau'atu would be to our pack!!!

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
The only reason the bunker was brought in is to eliminate howlers yet they are the ones making the howlers. I honestly believe I have seen more howlers since the bunker than before. Annesley admitted they can make mistakes. Well what is the use of them if they can make mistakes? It defeats the whole purpose. In Soccer they have brought in the VAR and I am yet to see a howler made by the video ref.

What I hate is the ref is there and has the best view. Any 50/50 calls should go back to the ref to see the monitor and he make the call like they do in soccer. He should have total control and the bunker have none. They are there to provide a supporting function only. They are there to support him and should never over rule him and that is the issue. It should be up to the ref to overrule his decision. That is why the VAR in soccer have yet to make a howler because they do not make a call unless it is 100% obvious with the offside lines they produce. Any 50/50 goes back to the ref. If it ends up a howler the ref is to blame. Now we have the ref and the bunker to blame depending on the circumstances.
That's incorrect re VAR

Rocket Rod

Juniors
When was the last time you saw Melbourne lose to a bad decision? Seriously that has never happened I don't think and never will. Obvious bias. I count how long they stay on a player all the time when they are receiving these 6 agains or penalties from the opposition and there is no difference to ones that the opposition is penalised. If all teams had that luxury they would also be in the finals consistently.
You are on the money there slippery!
The NRL do not want the Melb franchise to fail like Adelaide and Perth so they make sure of it. They were given a soft landing with their cap rort in 2010
The afl hierarchy must giggle at the paltry crowds the Storm pull down there.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
First sentence the the article -
There have been 48 VAR interventions during current Premier League season, with 42 correct and six deemed incorrect;

That is in a 20 team comp that has 38 rounds.

The % is high I get but they only get involved rarely by the looks of things. The team that got the dud call was Arsenal. A team that were 1st most of the season. The top 4 NRL teams have not had a dud call in 10 seasons.

It then states :-
"It is hoped fewer mistakes will be made with the arrival of Howard Webb, who has started his role as chief refereeing officer at the PGMOL and is set to meet key personnel at Premier League and English Football League clubs in the new year."

6 was too much so they want improvement on that.

NRL have around 48 Interventions in 1 rounds of footy in a 17 team comp over 27 rounds. .We had probably 6 incorrect calls in the round that just passed us with sent offs, loose carry's etc. I would take 6 errors from 48 interventions to what we have in the past any day of the week.

I am still blown away that the VAR only intervened 48 times all season. Wow. That is outstanding.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With Manly's game out of the way on Thursday, hopefully Flanno uses the whole weekend to do some more work for the Saints. We may hear some news soon on another recruit or another player tapped on the shoulder to look elsewhere. Apart from Bud, there has been no interest on the others by other clubs.

Trifili13

Juniors
Article below has more current nimber of VAR interventions. While lower teams in the EPL might get shafted with penalty calls that can be subjective, I don't think they get shafted like the bottom teams in the NRL do with 6 agains, offsides, etc called against them when playing the higher placed sides. Can't remember the player last weekend that said to the ref in the last seconds "your trying to help them" or words to that effect when a penalty was given and all they got was a fine. He was basically calling the ref a cheat and calling into question their integrity and impartiality which surely is a big no no and deserves a few weeks in the sidelines.

Batman251

Juniors

Phantom V

Juniors
S
Spot on Slippery. It seems Grant and Munster have a free pass to do whatever they want in the play the ball and the refs just let them get away with it. There is a definite bias, I’m sure of it.

Phantom V

Juniors
Bunker is an abomination. Rugby league isn’t played in slow motion. The bunker should never have been introduced and should F off and die, ASAP.
The bunker has destroyed the flow of the game. It baffles me some of the tries they allow just because a player looks like he has a fingertip on the ball when in real time he’s clearly lost it. I actually prefer to watch most games delayed so I can fast forward all that crap.

Gippsy

Bench
And try counting their forward passes from dummy half!!

BLM01

First Grade
The bunker has destroyed the flow of the game. It baffles me some of the tries they allow just because a player looks like he has a fingertip on the ball when in real time he’s clearly lost it. I actually prefer to watch most games delayed so I can fast forward all that crap.
I hate the captains challenge more than ever now, even though through a magnifying glass the bunker gets the decision right..but only sometimes

John moz

Juniors
Flanno needs a fullback sloan again not the answer best position is centre or on the wing .
Coach carr again doesnt make changes to players not performing .
Our backs are letting to many tries down the right side Suili needs to be told to pull his finger out .

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Flanno needs a fullback sloan again not the answer best position is centre or on the wing .
Coach carr again doesnt make changes to players not performing .
Our backs are letting to many tries down the right side Suili needs to be told to pull his finger out .
who is Car going to change them with.
I suppose use our youngsters would be good.
Love to see what they have

Draginzaaar

Bench
First sentence the the article -
There have been 48 VAR interventions during current Premier League season, with 42 correct and six deemed incorrect;

That is in a 20 team comp that has 38 rounds.

The % is high I get but they only get involved rarely by the looks of things. The team that got the dud call was Arsenal. A team that were 1st most of the season. The top 4 NRL teams have not had a dud call in 10 seasons.

It then states :-
"It is hoped fewer mistakes will be made with the arrival of Howard Webb, who has started his role as chief refereeing officer at the PGMOL and is set to meet key personnel at Premier League and English Football League clubs in the new year."

6 was too much so they want improvement on that.

NRL have around 48 Interventions in 1 rounds of footy in a 17 team comp over 27 rounds. .We had probably 6 incorrect calls in the round that just passed us with sent offs, loose carry's etc. I would take 6 errors from 48 interventions to what we have in the past any day of the week.

I am still blown away that the VAR only intervened 48 times all season. Wow. That is outstanding.
2 different games with hands and elbows and knees in everything. Different to seeing if a bloke is offside.

hewi

Bench
Shane Flanagan has a huge job on his hands to rebuild the Dragons’ squad he is now reportedly planning to make a recruitment play to sign Joey Manu.

The Roosters gun’s best position is at fullback, but with James Tedesco in his way he has been utilised as a five-eighth and in the centres this season.

The 27-year-old will be free to negotiate with rivals come November 1 and is currently contracted until the end of 2024.

Flanagan has reportedly made it clear he will attempt to sign the Kiwi international if he hits the open market according to the SMH.

The move comes after Flanagan reportedly informed Zac Lomax he will compete with Tyrell Sloan for the fullback spot in 2024.

Lomax, 23, signed a mammoth six-year contract in 2019, worth a reported $700,000-per-season.
At the time, Dragons powerbrokers believed Lomax could be the club’s long-term fullback and his contract reflected the expected move.

However, during his 89-game NRL career, Lomax has only started two games at the back and Sloan has since emerged as the club’s first string No.1.

Definitely a big yes from me