What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

SAP58

Juniors
Just read his in talks to bring Matt cooper back to the club in a coaching role.

Matt cooper bleeds red and white and was among my favourite players so excited to have read this
Culture ✅
Totally agree we need more people like Coops in the club. If he can educate our wingers & stop them coming in field leaving their opposing winger unmarked he has won me.

Carrera28

Juniors
TBH I am excited by the idea of bring in Cooper in some sort of coaching role. I can see him bring 4 things to the team:

1) Focus on helping your team mates, Cooper's single greatest attribute was not his awesome try scoring ability or his awesome defence it was the way he put in every game, didn't slack off and didn't leave his team mates to do his tackles for him. For much of his career he played next to Gasnier who is arguably the greatest centre of modern era but Cooper was never over shadowed because he did his job every game and he didn't let his mates down.

2) Help young players to learn the little things, the big flashy skills are often natural and fun to learn but its the little things of always being in the right position, knowing when to back your judgement, knowing when to stay out verus come in etc

3) Self confidence - Coops never exactly lacked confidence but it was never arrogance it was based on strong self belief based on hard work and knowing that his coaches had confidence in him. Coops would be great to help the centres and wingers with mental strength while Soward would be great to work with the halves and goalkickers on mental strength. They both were strong mentally in the Red V but came at in a very different manner.

4) Fitness - Even at 44 I suspect Coops would keep many players honest and just having him around while training would hopefully encourage players to not take shortcuts in training.

Latest posts