What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Power Rankings preseason 2019

Valheru

Coach
So you agree
Bellamy is number 1
Only an idiot would suggest otherwise.

I do, purely because of longevity.

What I don't agree with is the notion that Robbo has had better player stock at his disposal or that anyone else would have won those premierships.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bellamy gets nobodies and turns them into rep players.

Munster
Vunavilio ( spelling?)
Ado Carr

Storm will lose a top ten player and replace them with a rookie and the machine just still rolls on.

Bellamy is so far ahead it’s not funny.
I agree Bellamy is clearly the best but he's arguably benefited from having Smith, Slater, previously Cronk and even Inglis at the club for extended periods. Particularly in later years these guys have been mentors in their own right. The longevity of these players and the fact a couple have stuck around for basically his entire tenure is part of the reason for his success. Once Smith retires I'd be interested to see if that persist, given the younger crew won't have these guys on the field with them. Something will give eventually.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why is it always a Roosters supporter that makes some THE shittest threads in here?

Yeah lets stick to gems like

Sack Greenberg round 99
Joey v Thurston v Lockyer round 150
Latest off-field atrocity
Kick Sydney teams out
Bring back contested scrums

Who'd want to actually discuss the coaches of the teams in the NRL?

f**kwit.

Timmah

Staff member
7 Ivan Cleary - An oddly fluctuating career so far, early promise has damaged by some bad luck and strange decisions. The promise is still there but can't trade on potential forever. Hopefully Gus doesn't decide he "looks tired" again.

8 Ricky Stuart - 2002 was a long time ago. His teams are always competitive but rarely consistent. Finals as a bare minimum should be expected or you'd have to think his job would be under question. A premiership to his name keeps him in the conversation with clubs looking to rekindle the glory days, but only due to a lack of serious competition.

9 Des Hasler - Could and should be higher but his last 2 seasons at Canterbury have left his reputation in tatters. Poor recruitment bolstered by irresponsible back-ended deals have left their roster crippled. This stint at Manly is crucial for his future coaching value.

10 Nathan Brown - Now or never for Brownie. Early stint at Dragons was considered by many to be a failure. Yet to make the finals with Newcastle but has improved their roster and ladder position year on year. Now has the star power at his disposal to make a dent in the competition - if he doesn't, Newcastle should consider other options.

11 Paul McGregor - Doesn't inspire any confidence. Some high ladder finishes but makes poor decisions, persists with nuffies, and shows little accountability. Some good recruitment is paying off which masks his limited tactical ability. I'd say he needs to deliver something soon but seems to be on a rolling contract at St George regardless.

Not sure I agree with this section - I'd have Mary and maybe Brown a bit higher, Stuart and Cleary a bit lower. Most of Stuart's good graces come from his work at the Roosters some 15-odd years back, since that time it's hard to call his tenure at Canberra successful. Cleary still really yet to prove himself IMO, although a lot of that is Gus's fault tbh.

MilkShark

First Grade
Yeah lets stick to gems like

Sack Greenberg round 99
Joey v Thurston v Lockyer round 150
Latest off-field atrocity
Kick Sydney teams out
Bring back contested scrums

Who'd want to actually discuss the coaches of the teams in the NRL?

f**kwit.
Let me rephrase, why is that every thread started by a Roosters supporter is an attempt to tell everybody how amazing you think your club is.

We get it, you're amazing, you have an amazing club, best coaches, every top 10 player in absolutely every position that has ever played league is from your club.

Well done!

carcharias

Immortal
I agree Bellamy is clearly the best but he's arguably benefited from having Smith, Slater, previously Cronk and even Inglis at the club for extended periods. Particularly in later years these guys have been mentors in their own right. The longevity of these players and the fact a couple have stuck around for basically his entire tenure is part of the reason for his success. Once Smith retires I'd be interested to see if that persist, given the younger crew won't have these guys on the field with them. Something will give eventually.

But Bellamy is the one who coached all 3 from the start.
It’s not like he walked into the team once it was full of established rep players.

adamkungl

Immortal
Let me rephrase, why is that every thread started by a Roosters supporter is an attempt to tell everybody how amazing you think your club is.

We get it, you're amazing, you have an amazing club, best coaches, every top 10 player in absolutely every position that has ever played league is from your club.

Well done!

Roosters fans can't talk footy because some precious folks might get butthurt. Righto.

Better tell Sportsbet to lay off on the whole odds thing, they must be Roosters fans too!

upload_2019-1-23_14-6-6.png

Valheru

Coach

Well done!

If you have an opposing opinion feel free to share it. That is the whole point of the thread.

Where would you place robbo out of interest?

MilkShark

First Grade
If you have an opposing opinion feel free to share it. That is the whole point of the thread.

Where would you place robbo out of interest?
I'm having a bad day so perhaps my response is over the top.

Since you asked, he is in the top 3 for sure. It's hard to judge because of the fact he has so many good players at his disposal with funds to buy anyone he likes. The same goes for Bellamy and Bennett. They know what they're doing that's for sure, but if we are talking about making good players into great players, i don't think these 3 could be considered.

Personally I'd have Paul Green right up there with them

adamkungl

Immortal
Where would Flanno rank if he didn't get himself Greenberg'd?

I'd probably have him 4th, over Madge under Bennett. A comp in 2016, with limited resources, and Sharks continuing to feature highly. Excellent recruiter and motivator, and learned from the tactical mistakes he made earlier in his career.

Other former NRL coaches that could be options should someone drop out this year:

Trent Barrett
Neil Henry
Jason Taylor
Anthony Griffin
Andrew McFadden

Where do they rank? Do any of them have much to offer over current coaches?

MilkShark

First Grade
Where would Flanno rank if he didn't get himself Greenberg'd?

I'd probably have him 4th, over Madge under Bennett. A comp in 2016, with limited resources, and Sharks continuing to feature highly. Excellent recruiter and motivator, and learned from the tactical mistakes he made earlier in his career.

Other former NRL coaches that could be options should someone drop out this year:

Trent Barrett
Neil Henry
Jason Taylor
Anthony Griffin
Andrew McFadden

I'd prob go:

1. Robinson
2. Bellamy
3. Seibold - only 1 season but impressed by turning a team Maguire struggled with in his last year into a team threatening for a premiership, lets see if he can take advantage of consistent 7 day turnarounds
4. Green
5. Flano
6. Bennett - maybe thats low for him but I have him really really high on the list of coaching well with great teams, but only with great teams
7. Maguire

Much of a muchness really with all 7, they have all had success in one way or another.

In terms of making good players much better, I have Green and Flano very high.

* This is all based on the last few years. If we are talking over their careers obviously Bennett goes up, but I still have the big question mark next to his name

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
In hindsight, Madge over Green is a poor call.
He didn't coach at all in 2018 and Cowboys finished higher in 17 and 16.

I'd switch these 2.

Last edited:

MilkShark

First Grade
Trent Barrett
Neil Henry
Jason Taylor
Anthony Griffin
Andrew McFadden

I think Griffin deserves a spot somewhere.

We have a few newish coaches this year that need chance before we can make an accurate call on their ability as coach. Give him the Raiders team, I think Rickys time might be up.

Barrett is quick to make excuses for his year last year, maybe give him 1 full year and then make a call. I personally don't rate him.

Timmah

Staff member
This Bellamy/Rpbinson debate is interesting - over say, 5-10 years you could probably say Bellamy edges it given his longevity and overall success, but you'd have to say at this point if you were doing power rankings, Robinson is on top.

MilkShark

First Grade
This Bellamy/Rpbinson debate is interesting - over say, 5-10 years you could probably say Bellamy edges it given his longevity and overall success, but you'd have to say at this point if you were doing power rankings, Robinson is on top.
They're hard to split.

If Ballamy coached Roosters the last 5 years, would they have been better?
If Robinson coached Storm the last 5 years, would they have been better?

A major gripe I have with Bellamy is the way he has changed the game in order to achieve success. But maybe that makes him an even better coach?

MilkShark

First Grade
Just list all the players each bloke has turned from rookie to stars.
Bellamy by a mile.
Maybe

Or is it more so the team strangling teams out of games and surrounding average players with arguably 3 of THE BEST players of the last 20 years?

Valheru

Coach
Just list all the players each bloke has turned from rookie to stars.
Bellamy by a mile.

From rookie to star?

Bizarre way to do it but i would say robbo would have just as many in his first 6 years as bellamy.

Of course the likes of smith slater cronk RTS, latrell etc. Would become stars under any coach so it is a moot point.