What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaches Linked to Raiders

griffo346

First Grade
Today i heard on 10 news that Royce Simmons has been linked to the raiders for you guys i hope not he did stuff all at penrith and im a penrith boy :( and its painful for me to say that about our 2 try g/f hero

Mick_87

Juniors
I read that about Simmons in today's telegraph but it said his manager had approached Canberra, I'd just about swing myself if he was picked.

Timbo

Staff member
I would flat out stop supporting the club if we sign Royce Simmons. I know that may sound disloyal, but if we do that we may as well bring back Boogs and Wolfy because that's the calibre of coach we'd be getting.

It most definitely wont happen though. Our management is terrible, but they aren't braindead.

edabomb

First Grade
I wouldn't stop supporting. I may even have a guilty laugh at all the people that thought getting rid of Elliott would see us on our way to golden roads and premierships. But I'd be crying on the inside....

Roy Rover

Juniors
He'd be as bad if not worse than Kevin Walters. Chris Anderson must be holding out for big bucks before he'll sign.

Edwahu

Bench
The one thing in Simmons favour is that he was responsible for the Tigers defence last year. Sheens has said he had zero input into that side of things.

griffo346

First Grade
i hope u guys get langy tbh or ricky stuart
thats right you heard it here
sticky will coach raiders in 2007

sydraider

First Grade
griffo346 said:

Would be nice, dont think it will happen though.

aussies1st

Staff member
griffo346 said:

I wouldn't mind either, Lang is more likely than Sticky.

Big Mick

Referee
whats wrong with Simmons Griffo? are you that stupid?

Do u believe Lang was responsible for 2003?

Lang didn't develop all those juniors....Roycie did.

Roycie had a 5 year plan and said he'd have a premiership by 2003...he got punted from the 2002 season onwards and what happened...we won a premiership in 2003.

THen he goes to the Tigers...and OMG look wat happens he wins a premiership there.

Roycie would not be your worst option.

nickraider

Juniors
griffo346 said:
Today i heard on 10 news that Royce Simmons has been linked to the raiders for you guys i hope not he did stuff all at penrith and im a penrith boy :( and its painful for me to say that about our 2 try g/f hero

Didn't think things could get any worse! What the f**k :shock:

Raider Azz

Bench
it's not gonna happen - the club has repeatidly stated that we are after a high profile coach.

lang is also doubtful - he's been quoted as saying he isn't interested in coming to canberra.

aussies1st

Staff member
Big Mick © said:
whats wrong with Simmons Griffo? are you that stupid?

Do u believe Lang was responsible for 2003?

Lang didn't develop all those juniors....Roycie did.

Roycie had a 5 year plan and said he'd have a premiership by 2003...he got punted from the 2002 season onwards and what happened...we won a premiership in 2003.

THen he goes to the Tigers...and OMG look wat happens he wins a premiership there.

Roycie would not be your worst option.

Fair enough but that wasn't actually being head coach. If he wants to come over to the Raiders and do whatever he did at the Tigers and Panthers we're take him. Just don't know about him being head coach.

nickraider

Juniors
Royce Simmons is far too defence orientated for mine. Although we could do we that 'now' I think that in the long run, we need a coach who is going to put some emphasis on attack. Not this 'one out' stuff that Eliiott has been coaching for years.

ed bbay

Juniors
i just read in big league issue4 & i quote (ive cut it short a bit ) u should get the mag & read it , its in the rant by warren smith .

its almost a running gag between players & player mangers that players play 4 other clubs for half of what the raiders offer because they dont want to live in act . it goes on to say that no body wants to play 4 us even if ricky was there .

the other problem i have is the money where offering the new coach . it cant be much or ando would be signed up . rember penrith are giving elliott who cant coach around 900 .00 so if we want a coach who can coach we must pay 1.2 mill & there lies the problem we will never pay that our club dosent think it would be a good investment .

we will end up with another elliott because we only pay peanuts so we ll only get monkeys i bet we will end up getting that bloke from nth qld because he ll be cheap .

always a raider

Juniors
ftext.gif
Raiders raise questions over new coach

Thursday Mar 30 19:59 AEDT
Canberra is considering pitching Matthew Elliott's successor immediately into a hands-on coaching role at the Raiders this NRL season.
Raiders officials have flagged the move, which is likely to put even more pressure on Elliott following two heavy losses and his decision to link with Penrith from next season.
The club has indicated a decision on Elliott's replacement could be made as soon as next week.

Chairman John McIntyre, who was livid at suggestions that Elliott would play an influential role at Penrith this season, has revealed his replacement could be asked to start work alongside him immediately.

http://direct.ninemsn.com.au/script...S/AREA=SPORT/SUBSECTION=/LOC=TOP/AAMSZ=MEDIUM"That's just one of those possibilities, so if the situation arose that would be something we'd give some serious consideration to," McIntyre said.
"We don't see that as being an embargo.
"A lot of it depends on the personalities of the people involved - it's something you would only do if those personalities matched up.
"As an organisation, we remain very open-minded on the coaching issue."
Should the Raiders go ahead with the move, it would mark the third time the club has had two coaches simultaneously presiding at the helm of the team.
In 1987, Wayne Bennett shared the role with Don Furner before linking with Brisbane the following year, while Mal Meninga and Elliott shared the coaching duties in 2001.
McIntyre said he hadn't discussed a dual coaching arrangement with Elliott, but said it was likely he would be amenable to the idea.
"He has always shown a high degree of flexibility in the past," he said.
It's understood premiership-winning coach Chris Anderson, St Helens mentor Daniel Anderson, Wests Tigers assistant Royce Simmons and North Queensland assistant Neil Henry are the leading candidates for the position.
When contacted about the possibility of sharing the coaching role this season, Elliott said it was the first he'd heard about it.
"No one has spoken to me about it and it's not something I'm going to consider," he said.
"I can understand why the questions are coming and I understand when there are below-par performances people search for underlying reasons.
"I can assure you there are none.
"I'm very confident with the personnel we've got here."
Asked about how he handled the dual coaching role with Meninga, Elliot said: "I was here for a year under Mal.
"I thought Mal and I managed it really well, there were no problems."
Raiders hooker Simon Woolford, who played under the pair in 2001, said it was important the incoming coach had some immediate involvement with the club.
"I don't think it can hurt," Woolford said.
"If they get a new coach I think it's paramount that he's hands on at the club in some shape or form ASAP.
"If that's to come on board or just to oversee things, start to learn about the players and who he wants to keep, I can only see that as a positive thing.
Meanwhile, Parramatta is reportedly close to re-signing exciting young centre Ben Smith, a move which is likely to rule out a return home for St Helens' Jamie Lyon.
And Manly has denied rumours of a fallout between halfback Matt Orford and coach Des Hasler.