What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching Candidates 2016

I think to people's surprise this will be a very wanted job. Inside this rabble lies a very capable side with some wonderful young talent.

As for Tooves he might enjoy putting it up Manly by taking the role. He is that sort of competitor.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Brown isn't the same coach that left Australia, he did great things in the uk, including building a club up from not a whole lot & it's still strong, hes got heaps of experience at highs & lows of coaching. Easily the best candidate available. I don't get the mentality of wanting a young unknown just for the sake of it, it fails far more times than it succeeds, you need some one who has been through it all, Brown said himself hes matured as a coach now and knows what works and what doesn't.

Noname36

First Grade
I'm sorry but I seriously can't work out why anyone would want Toovey at the moment.

Out of the realistic options I'd probably go Brown. Maybe even Griffin. He's tough and built a very strong defensive side in Brisbane.

I don't want Brennan on the basis of the old boys shit.

Shame Bellamy would never coach against the Storm. He'd be a perfect fit for us. Has ties to the area and our juniors but isn't an old boy that couldn't make them accountable.

Spot On

Coach
Who ever said Brett Kimmorley..... seriously a million to one. This is Newcastle, the club would never be that stupid.:sarcasm:

I really enjoyed listening to Nathan Brown interviewed by Sterlo. Seems pretty confident he's had the right experience to see him succeed in the NRL now. Just don't know how any coach can fix the problems at this joint unless he's ruthless and prepared to boot the shit out no matter what their name is or where they are from. I couldn't give a shit which players are moved on. If they're no good most of the time then get rid of them.

I hope Gidley can put his money where his mouth is with players playing for their futures. No more four year deals would be a start. 2 years with 3rd yr options or go elsewhere.

Matt23

Staff member
I didn't say I wanted Kimmorley, but I can see him trying to talk himself up...

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd be happy with Brown or Toovey. Brown gives us a pretty tempting link to upcoming British talent, and Toovey seems like the kind of guy who won't tolerate the heaping helping of shit our guys deal up most weeks.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Sheens is a gee up surely

Sheens would be good for the young players in the team.

Regardless of recent failures he is still the second or third most successful coach in the history of the game

He remains a respected figure and certainly wouldnt deter quality players from coming to Newcastle

He wouldn't be bought to the club to win a premiership in the first 1 or 2 years. Only to steady the ship and a calm hand at the wheel is whats required right now.

The team is lacking in confidence and having man if his stature would only do the boys good .Bringing in a younger inexperienced coach at this moment is not going to instill the confidence in the players moving forward.

The last thing we need is a coach on a steep learning curve. He needs to be off the L or P plates and knows how to steer.

Our roster is far better than the standard they're playing to. Whats needed now is an experienced man manager.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Daniel Anderson would be an option, wasn't he in the mix last time?

Now this bloke should be given very strong consideration. He's had success. 2 GF appearances, former NZ National Coach, Dally M coach of the year.

A sharp mind who doesnt mind pealing the paint of the change room walls every now and then.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Brown isn't the same coach that left Australia, he did great things in the uk, including building a club up from not a whole lot & it's still strong, hes got heaps of experience at highs & lows of coaching. Easily the best candidate available. I don't get the mentality of wanting a young unknown just for the sake of it, it fails far more times than it succeeds, you need some one who has been through it all, Brown said himself hes matured as a coach now and knows what works and what doesn't.

Surely you jest.

Exactly what is the percentage of U.K players coming over and setting the world on fire ? I'd say the coaching has parallels.

Let a coach like Brown get another gig elsewhere and prove he can perform at the top level in the highest standard competition in the world. We don't need a guy who is unproven.- In fact the last time he had a gig in the NRL he was a failure.

The name Nathan Brown is not exactly going to have players contacting their agents to see if they can go to Newcastle

Noname36

First Grade
Surely you jest.

Exactly what is the percentage of U.K players coming over and setting the world on fire ? I'd say the coaching has parallels.

Let a coach like Brown get another gig elsewhere and prove he can perform at the top level in the highest standard competition in the world. We don't need a guy who is unproven.- In fact the last time he had a gig in the NRL he was a failure.

The name Nathan Brown is not exactly going to have players contacting their agents to see if they can go to Newcastle

And yet you want Sheens who is a proven failure 99% of the time? Lol.

Frederick

Staff member
Surely you jest.

After we outbid Souths for Bennetts signature, they looked to the UK super league and signed a coach who was unproven in the best competition in the world

I'd say it's worked out pretty well for them, wouldn't you?

Alex28

Coach
Souths were able to attract players via other means to build the squad for Maguire. We are relying on the coach to build the squad - we have nothing else to offer at present, being the basket case that we are.

Sheens is past it. Brennan and Toovey can poach the cream of their respective clubs. They appear the best options...

slotmachine

First Grade
Toovs has managed to take a far superior squad to ours to one more win. Foran is leaving cause he thinks he's an ordinary coach.
Sounds perfect.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Sheens is a no from me, he's got the experience but his last 3 or 4 years at the Tigers were pretty diabolical and I also don't like the direction the Australian team has gone over the last year or so, he's held onto a lot of older guys for way too long.

Brennan I don't know much about other than he's got a reputation of being a good coach in the lower grades, not sure if I want another unproven coach given how shit Stone has ended up being. That being said he's definitelt not the worst option out there.

Toovey I think is copping some really rough treatment at Manly, he hasn't done much wrong over the last 4 years but is being sacked anyway. This year is the worst year they've had in that time frame and they've been a top 4 team under him until 2015, and a lot of their woes this year have come from DCE being a wanker and a massive injury toll. I think he would bring a hard nosed attitude to the club and wouldn't let underperforming players get away with it for long. Toovey would be my pick of the lot.

Brown is still a question mark imo as he hasn't been successful in the NRL but sounds like he has done well in ESL with multiple clubs? I think he'd be the second best option that's being talked about at the moment.

Not sure what other candidates are out there, hopefully someone emerges and the club makes the right decision.

insert.pause

First Grade
Surely you jest.

Yet, you want Tim Sheens, who has a worse win percentage in the NRL than Nathan Brown?

slotmachine

First Grade
Toovey walked into one of the top 2 squads in the comp and did OK, but Hagan won a comp in his first year, which says to me you don't have to be good if you have the best players.

All the talk out of Manly is that Toovey isn't a coach who makes players better. He might yell and scream a bit, but his coaching is basically "run hard, tackle hard". Foran is getting out of the joint because he doesn't think his current coach can improve his game.

Haffa

The right coaching team is just as important. The best teams around have a team of coaches who are almost FG ready themselves. Manly, Easts, Storm, Canterbury all had/have assistants who are the top of their game and they're always the first ones mentioned when a job comes up.

I'd like to see whoever is appointed bring in 3 or 4 top assistants.

Latest posts