What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching Candidates 2016

I believe at the end of the day Nathan Brown will coach the Newcastle Knights in 2016. We cannot afford Bellamy to start with even if we wanted him from 2017 onwards. Just remember Browny has spent the last 12 months learning from Bellamy. I believe he is the right choice or at I at least hope he is. Maguire left the ESL with a title and has taken Souths to anew level. Bronwy left St helens after winning the ESL title (their first win in their last seven attempts) but did not take the easy road which was the Tigers job. We are the perfect club for him to build. He sacked St Helens overpaid players and brought through their academy kids and they are going very well. They have winger named Adam Swift who is very good. Would not mind us signing him TBH. Very fast and knows his way to the line.

Last edited:

kiwipete

Juniors
Brown, Toovey and Brennan are the 3 that seem remotely viable to me. Brown has been out of it long enough to be detached from the players and has had some success elsewhere... Toovs, well he's a firey bastard and I don't think he'd take shit from the squad... and I've heard Brennan is also an iron taskmaster - which puts him on my list by that virtue alone.

Tom Shines, Michael Hagen et al need to be as far away from the club as possible.

My choice would be Brennan, he has shown what he can do week to week with a changing roster having to build teams from the leftovers from Under 20's and whoever doesn't get picked in NRL each week.
His record is excellant, 1 Under 20s Grand Final victory [2012] 2 GF appearances in NSW Cup for 1 victory and his current Panthers team are running first equal despite him not having 12 regulars to pick from due to injuries or NRL duties. He has been mentored by Ivan Cleary / Gus Gould for the past 3 years and although he is an ex - Newcastle lower grade coach never played for the team and is not a member of the "Old Boys Brigade" He is an absolute task master, takes no shit and loves this city so would take it very personally to rebuild our team to what it should be.He would be able to assemble a strong support team around him and get stuck in. No downsides in my opinion.

Vote 1 GB!

Zoidberg

First Grade
Is Anthony Griffin in the mix?

I remember he was mentioned last year as a kind of straight up swap with Bennett and he was mentioned on Sterlo tonight.

Nathan brown has said on sterlo tonight that the Knights have not spoken to him at all but he would definitely consider the job if asked.

TooheysNew

Coach
f**k me. If youre getting paid 200k+ and still need an external motivator to be able to do your f**king job, then you can f**k right off.

Agreed Mac but they border on cavalier and that will lead to more heartbreak for us. Our U20s would probably smack sides with them coaching. I like their approach a lot. I just think we are in no position to provide that sort of blank canvas. We need someone who has been there done that with building a club.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Following his retirement from professional rugby league, Jones took up a role as player-coach for the*Pt Chev Pirates, alongside*Awen Guttenbeil.[6][21]*He later worked as the*Auckland Rugby League's Development officer.

Jones was appointed as the New Zealand Warriors Junior Recruitment and Pathways Coach for the 2013 season.[22]*He became the Junior Warriors head coach in the*Holden Cup*for the 2014 season and in his inaugural season the Warriors won the Cup, defeating the Brisbane Broncos 34–32 in the Grand Final.[23][24]

In 2015 Jones will coach the Warriors side in the*NSW Cup.[25]

Been at the Warriors frpm day 1.

Jono078

Referee
Anthony Griffin's name is getting thrown around a bit more it seems.

Not sure what I think of him. He didn't do a great deal with the Broncos - at least not what Bennett has achieved. But he did help Ben Hunt get to an elite status in the game, so that's a huge plus for him and his development skills.

Noname36

First Grade
Anthony Griffin's name is getting thrown around a bit more it seems.

Not sure what I think of him. He didn't do a great deal with the Broncos - at least not what Bennett has achieved. But he did help Ben Hunt get to an elite status in the game, so that's a huge plus for him and his development skills.

Griffin did a good job up there. He built a very committed defensive unit. Their attack under him wasn't great though.

Brown and Griffin are the two names most media outlets bring up. Brennan is a long shot if they are after a coach who can build a club. Am still leaning towards Browny and i believe his comments on Sterlo were that of a man who knew he was going to be approached sooner rather than later.

Last edited: