What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Illusion

Bench
He might end up as Ben Hornby’s Assistant Coach…win win
Said before whats all the hype about him , he and Hornby are both Rookies and throw in Young , so what makes him any better better than the other two ...... Until they go out alone Im not sure ....... I would rather , Flanno or Des ....... Anyway who ever we get surely cant be as bad as Hook ..... Apart from being a coach , we need a good people manager that can communicate with players as a group and individually , that something Hook lacked in a big way ., thats why Id prefer Hornby .......

Said before whats all the hype about him , he and Hornby are both Rookies and throw in Young , so what makes him any better better than the other two ...... Until they go out alone Im not sure ....... I would rather , Flanno or Des ....... Anyway who ever we get surely cant be as bad as Hook ..... Apart from being a coach , we need a good people manager that can communicate with players as a group and individually , that something Hook lacked in a big way ., thats why Id prefer Hornby .......

The Roosters aren’t going to extend Ryles anyway into next year.

So in theory that should help him get across the line with sgi as he may not have a job and he’d be wise not to ask for too much.

The roosters don’t want anyone who is not 100 with their program I suppose. Kudos to them.

They smashed Latrell after he went rogue.

A concern for sgi, the roosters are struggling, ryles is part of that concern. I’d be interested in his explanation as to what’s going on over there.

They are supposed to leading the comp or right up there based on coach and roster.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The Roosters aren’t going to extend Ryles anyway into next year.

So in theory that should help him get across the line with sgi as he may not have a job and he’d be wise not to ask for too much.

The roosters don’t want anyone who is not 100 with their program I suppose. Kudos to them.

They smashed Latrell after he went rogue.

A concern for sgi, the roosters are struggling, ryles is part of that concern. I’d be interested in his explanation as to what’s going on over there.

They are supposed to leading the comp or right up there based on coach and roster.
I agree with the concern you raised Silverdale. Ryles as we know is the Roosters defensive coach and has been since the start of 2022. That club finished 6th last year and currently they are running 10th. The for and against shows that they have conceded many more points against than for.

Maybe the reason the Roosters have indicated that his services will no longer be required for 2024 is because they see that his work hasn't been at a suitable level and not able to do the things that Fitzy was doing before he went to the Sharks. I don't know... Is it the fault of Ryles that the Roosters are struggling a bit so far this year? Thrashed by the Panthers last start.

Someone said that if the Roosters has said he won't be needed by the club next year, then they have then curtailed his services and he would be free to sign up at another club and that other club should not pay any compensation and I agree with that.

No matter who will get the head coaching job at the Dragons, it could just be a poisoned chalice to anyone.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Look he might turn out to be a great coach , but we really dont know , he is unknown also , as is Hornby , Young , Then again so was Fitzzy from the Sharks and he is doing good ........ Anyway who ever gets it , as long as the board and the rest of them stay out of it , they need full control .........
Hornby had huge wraps from our juniors. I remember duff saying that Benny changed the way he played and gave him a proper attitude adjustment. That being said, duff did end up reverting to those old habits once Hornby wasn't directly involved with him, but it does speak to a positive relationship with juniors

Victoire

Juniors
Anyone else remember a story from about 2006, as the Dragons were heading into the finals series. It was looking back at the loss (don't say choke) of 2005 in the prelim final against the Tigers, in particular about how Nathan Brown learnt from it as a coach. One specific detail of it has stuck with me ever since - the story stated that at some point of the game, Jason Ryles came to the sideline to pass a message to the coach - to the effect of "tell Browny to calm down, he's making everyone nervous"

I guess it stuck with me for the peculiarity of a player telling a coach to calm down, anyone else remember it? Anyway, it's an interesting tidbit now about Ryles, not so much about Brown

RedVee_8

Juniors
Anyone else remember a story from about 2006, as the Dragons were heading into the finals series. It was looking back at the loss (don't say choke) of 2005 in the prelim final against the Tigers, in particular about how Nathan Brown learnt from it as a coach. One specific detail of it has stuck with me ever since - the story stated that at some point of the game, Jason Ryles came to the sideline to pass a message to the coach - to the effect of "tell Browny to calm down, he's making everyone nervous"

I guess it stuck with me for the peculiarity of a player telling a coach to calm down, anyone else remember it? Anyway, it's an interesting tidbit now about Ryles, not so much about Brown
What was the real story about that calamitous game? Something about Lance picking on / stirring one of the forwards on the bus in the way in to the game? Evidently that was added as a misdemeanour when they terminated him.

mickeylane

Bench
I think if Ryles has a team like this around him it could work..

Ryles Coach
Hornby Assistant
Browny Recruitment
Defensive Coach - Matt Cooper (the guy is a machine)
Shane Richardson Head of Football Operations (Brains Trust)
NEW CEO
Failing the above happening sign HASLER!

Latest posts