What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I think the Dragons makes a lot more sense for a rookie coach than the Storm.

Regardless of what one might think of Bellamy (and for the record as much as he clearly can coach, he's also been extremely "blessed"), following him would be like following the Beatles. Even if you do great, you still won't compare favourably.

Now the Dragons on the other hand could appoint a tackling bag and it would be an upgrade on the past decade of coaches. So I think there's a real merit in Ryles coming here.

Mathematically he couldn't do any worse than where we are right now. And if by chance he does well, he'll stamp his ticket forever as someone who can turn around a failing club.

Either way there's only upside for him.

justadragon

Bench
Yeah, but Mary was a special case.

Try’s from kicks and who could forget his excuse about you winning if the playing field was shorter.

Then he came back from his junket with bj and tried to convince everyone you were rookies again.

Now of course, he’s second or third in line to coach NSW.

He’s untouchable!
He's not untouchable, he's just comfortable being uncomfortable !!!!

Where is Mc85 these days
Not at Parra?
Not doing Fox orSMH interviews
Helping Freddy running water?
I miss him being around in the limelight

He said he hasn’t given up coaching NRL again!

Ryles arrives, leaves Des available for the knights or Titans and I think he could command 4 years as well.

Then you might get an idea of whether Ryles was the right choice to build up the place over the period or whether a veteran campaigner was a better choice. Time will tell.

It seems to me he will bring over some excess Roosters asap. The roosters generally don’t choose bad players, so there could be some bargains to be had.

If he can, I’d prefer he started asap and this year, keeping Carr to assist and induct him. See how he goes when the expectations aren’t as high. Ease him in.

To get off the bottom, won’t take many wins and mathematically, you are still a finals hope.

If he can salvage this year, it will help a lot. If he can’t, he can’t be blamed. So win/win.

He will already know clubland politics, trust no one.

Hopefully the day will come when the club is on its feet and to not trust someone is the exception instead of the rule. I think that’s part of the DNA we were discussing. Trust.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
One of the benefits of Ryles being appointed is that Gus said it wouldn’t happen. Surely Gus couldn’t be wrong about something ? Will look forward to his dribble about why he was wrong but he probably won’t even mention it.
He also had a big go at the Knights recently for letting Best go on holidays during a bye round yet reports are Avarillo & another dogs player did the same this week.
Who knows what the true story is, but not listening to the jurno’s from News Limited is a good start. It has been suggested our first choice when Hook was appointed was Fitzgibbon & he knocked us back, too big a task. If we get Ryles & he was always our first choice the reason we are successful this time around is maybe because of a new Board Member ? Ben Creagh ? he adds a lot more credibility to our Board IMO.
Creagh was the one who approached him for a meeting.

Kiama_Dragon

Juniors
My biggest concern is that Haran is still head of football…. even today reported that Haran, in his position as head of football and Webb were in discussions with Ryles.
Can we not get rid of this guy??
Exactly right. Hasn’t he been around the club since 2009??? What’s he done? We have slowly been getting worse the last 10 years and now we’re sitting dead last.

BLM01

First Grade
He said he hasn’t given up coaching NRL again!

Ryles arrives, leaves Des available for the knights or Titans and I think he could command 4 years as well.

Then you might get an idea of whether Ryles was the right choice to build up the place over the period or whether a veteran campaigner was a better choice. Time will tell.

It seems to me he will bring over some excess Roosters asap. The roosters generally don’t choose bad players, so there could be some bargains to be had.

If he can, I’d prefer he started asap and this year, keeping Carr to assist and induct him. See how he goes when the expectations aren’t as high. Ease him in.

To get off the bottom, won’t take many wins and mathematically, you are still a finals hope.

If he can salvage this year, it will help a lot. If he can’t, he can’t be blamed. So win/win.

He will already know clubland politics, trust no one.

Hopefully the day will come when the club is on its feet and to not trust someone is the exception instead of the rule. I think that’s part of the DNA we were discussing. Trust.
So which club signs Mary?
Maybe the Tigers
But surely as a Tigers supporter you dont want us Dragons to be too successful.. do you?
LOL and soon as you use the word "mathematically" can make it.. we are in trouble
That is a Maryism right there.

jak

Bench
Big call Jak,,,,, I put this to you, would you have him as the next coach of the Dragons ?? :))
it would be interesting to see how he would go with any club from the ground up as bennett is doing with the dolphins this year and his past history,so justa to answer your question with a question how do you think robinson would go without uncle nick standing next to him who in my opinion is the one with the man management skills so desperately needed to keep 30 plus players going in the same direction year after year i never have seen that in robinson

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I think the Dragons makes a lot more sense for a rookie coach than the Storm.

Regardless of what one might think of Bellamy (and for the record as much as he clearly can coach, he's also been extremely "blessed"), following him would be like following the Beatles. Even if you do great, you still won't compare favourably.

Now the Dragons on the other hand could appoint a tackling bag and it would be an upgrade on the past decade of coaches. So I think there's a real merit in Ryles coming here.

Mathematically he couldn't do any worse than where we are right now. And if by chance he does well, he'll stamp his ticket forever as someone who can turn around a failing club.

Either way there's only upside for him.
"Mathematically he couldn't do any worse than where we are right now"

Yes he could, with our luck there will be 18 teams in the comp.

So which club signs Mary?
Maybe the Tigers
But surely as a Tigers supporter you dont want us Dragons to be too successful.. do you?
LOL and soon as you use the word "mathematically" can make it.. we are in trouble
That is a Maryism right there.

I’m more than ok if you are successful. Life is too short.

“ mathematically”

I’m giving you half the season to jag a few games!

Mary was talking about it when you were coming second last with only 4 rounds left, where you had to win all your games by 50 plus and a top 4 club had to be done for salary cap infractions. Where the storm or panthers had to lose by 138 in the next 4 rounds.

In other words, the mental gymnastics could only be understood by Nobel Prize winners in statistics and of course Mary.

As usual, not a single journo raised an eyebrow.

So I was a bit maryesque, sure, but not the full fester!

That can happen when Mary is being discussed anywhere. Despite every precaution, the infection can set in unknowingly to the poster.

@Gareth67 has never recovered.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
it would be interesting to see how he would go with any club from the ground up as bennett is doing with the dolphins this year and his past history,so justa to answer your question with a question how do you think robinson would go without uncle nick standing next to him who in my opinion is the one with the man management skills so desperately needed to keep 30 plus players going in the same direction year after year i never have seen that in robinson
In answer to your question Jak, no I dont think Robbo would be that good without uncle Nick pulling the strings to make things happen, he is not used to having second and third tier players in the squad, nor having an endless salary cap plus mega TPA's. But he is still a good coach better than our last 3 at the very least.

jak

Bench
In answer to your question Jak, no I dont think Robbo would be that good without uncle Nick pulling the strings to make things happen, he is not used to having second and third tier players in the squad, nor having an endless salary cap plus mega TPA's. But he is still a good coach better than our last 3 at the very least.
both you me and any other member of our forum would be better than our last 3.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

BREAKING: St George Illawarra appoint Jason Ryles as head coach​

League Initiative
BY LEAGUE INITIATIVE

May 30, 2023

in Clubs, News, St George Illawarra Dragons

League Initiative can reveal that the St George Illawarra Dragons have officially appointed Jason Ryles as their head coach from the 2024 NRL season.

The Dragons are set to officially announce the appointment to Red V members and fans this week, however, League Initiative can confirm that ink has been put to paper.
Ryles is to be appointed for a four year term that includes performance hurdles in year three and four which will require the team to reach specific benchmarks.
As part of the negotiations, Ryles insisted that ultimate control of the football department must rest with the head coach in order to avoid interference from external factors. Ryles is said to be conscious of the issues that have hampered the club’s performance in recent years, therefore, ensuring that the football department has total control of football related matters, such as recruitment and retention, was a fierce priority for Ryles.

Ryles will now spend the remainder of the 2023 season finalising his support staff and reviewing the Dragons‘ roster until he is able to take over from interim head coach Ryan Carr. The Sydney Roosters have not shied away from airing their displeasure towards Ryles, and initially, were set to insist that Ryles be placed on gardening leave. However, the Roosters will immediately and acrimoniously part ways with their assistant coach.

Who is Jason Ryles?

Jason Ryles made his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2000 and played 156 games for the Red V until his departure in 2008. In 2009, Ryles joined the Catalans Dragons in France before returning to Australia with stints at the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm.
Ryles commenced his coaching career in 2012 as an assistant coach for the NSW State of Origin under 20s rugby team. He continued in that role in 2013 and achieved success by defeating Queensland’s under 20s team in both years.
After retiring as a player in the National Rugby League, Ryles became the head coach of the Western Suburbs Red Devils for the 2014/2015 seasons. In 2015, Ryles was approached by the Melbourne Storm to join their coaching staff as an assistant coach. He held this position until the autumn of 2020. During his time with the Storm, Ryles also assisted in coaching England’s national rugby union team periodically. From 2016 to the present, Ryles served as the assistant coach for the Junior Kangaroos in 2016 and 2017. In autumn 2020, Ryles joined England as a full-time skills coach, but he was unable to participate in the 2021 Six Nations Championship due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. He left the role in May 2021. In 2022, Ryles joined the Sydney Roosters as an assistant coach.

Latest posts