What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters
All of which still leaves the timing of the announcement of new coach to be carefully stage managed and scripted.

As we all know, it’s only once the ducks are all in a row and the pr people give the ok, that the club will release the torrent of goodness.

Obviously don’t want the news to clash with Origin, so it might be before or after.

Then the long build up and expectation starts.

If you were “new coach”, do you start the gig asap or wait until next year?

I think it’s more courageous to start it earlier, even if you have to mess about with an ex coaches team.

I turned my mind to Des as well and was thinking a years break is probably a good thing for him, like a long service leave. I think he might turn up at the knights or could even eke out a longer deal with the Titans, maybe turn into a Ricky like character. Safe and secure despite his strangeness of thought.

Holbrook dipping into mid 30% in the nrl wins, finally gets Fifita going…the end is nigh. He can’t feel safe. But his esl record is remarkable. He will go back there. It’s interesting and a bit sad how he couldn’t covert his esl magic to the nrl. I don’t quite follow the magnitude of his downfall.

It’s a tougher comp, but slipping from 80% wins to 34% wins, is extraordinary. Very tough on him.

Last edited:

sammymills

Juniors
People often remember Ryles' playing career only at Saints where he was a hot head and made some errors during games. He was very passionate which is what I loved about him but he would get baited. He always stuck by his players though and never took a step back. He then went to Melbourne and won a comp playing to his ability. He was no longer a hot head like he was at Saints and Bellamy then got him as an assistant. The guy is the real deal and the fact that he is a chance of coming back is a great step in the right direction for the Saints. Browny I think is the key as he will build the roster to be competitive, another smart appointment if it happens.
He was also great when he went to roosters, watched the 2010 GF replay last night he would’ve been best prop on park especially in first half.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I'm not sure if Ryles is the answer to our coaching but if the rumours that he wants the club to hire a new GM of football, a new recruitment manager and pathways person are correct he is off to a reasonable start.
That is currently the sticking point… club still insistent on jobs for their mates within the whole football department… I hope Ryles does not compromise because that would weaken his position from the start….

justadragon

Bench
I like the fact that he can just sit there and assess what is happening from top to bottom. I'm just hoping he gets the football dept that we all want and has the balls to make some significant changes, without interference from the board. The sooner the better, also I would assume that whilst not coaching the team for this season he can definitely instruct Carr to make some changes to trial players out in different positions and be right there to see what happens.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The quicker they make the call the quicker they can start the retention. They are so far behind the 8 ball in recruitment it isn't funny.

Having Ryles will attract players more to the club I feel than others and the boys at Saints will be playing for a contract. I like how in the article Kleary can see a lot of similarities with Ryles and Fitzy as that is the type of coach Saints need.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Hopefully when Jason Ryles does start, he puts the entire playing group on notice for being there in 2024.
There certainly seems a need for a broom to clear the deadwood with poor attitude & discipline.
I just hope that Jason & Brownie can get down to business in the background to recruit some size & speed into the roster.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Hopefully when Jason Ryles does start, he puts the entire playing group on notice for being there in 2024.
There certainly seems a need for a broom to clear the deadwood with poor attitude & discipline.
I just hope that Jason & Brownie can get down to business in the background to recruit some size & speed into the roster.
Attitude is one of the biggest problems at the club. Ryles has been at two clubs that don't tolerate nonsense (apart from the Roosters this year for some reason who are happy to let their players walk all over them). He's also worked with international rugby teams. I hope he puts EVERYONE on notice. Even if that includes juniors, a crap attitude just shouldn't be tolerated anymore at the club

Dragon David

First Grade
I like the fact that he can just sit there and assess what is happening from top to bottom. I'm just hoping he gets the football dept that we all want and has the balls to make some significant changes, without interference from the board. The sooner the better, also I would assume that whilst not coaching the team for this season he can definitely instruct Carr to make some changes to trial players out in different positions and be right there to see what happens.
Yep, Ryles will be right at home in more ways than one. Even though he will be classed a rookie coach, what I like is that his career started on the South Coast so it won't take him too long to "re-acclimatise" to the area and during the rest of 2023 should be able to check out most of the Illawarra and Kogarah District's footy clubs and their juniors coming through the systems.

For some reason there has been really no mention by the club of Hasler being in the mix and for that matter Flanagan and therefore I think that they have had Ryles as their first choice for a while but giving others who were interested to apply. The club wants to go the way that Fitzy, Ciraldo, Webster etc have. I feel that Ryles has laid out all his cards on the negotiating table and said that "this is what I want - term, money, support staff take it or leave it or come back with something not too far from what I want and I will give you this and that and these to bring the club out of the problems it has endured for so long".

I suppose Ryles would need to get to know Ryan Carr and Ben Woolf more and maybe get them to try a few things.

So going from all of the recent media stuff it would seem that Ryles will be the head coach of the Dragons but I'll be still waiting for confirmation on the Dragons' website.

TheRev

Coach
I'm really excited for Browny if that one is true.. I really think he will start chipping away at that NSWRL and lower rosters.. wheeling and dealing.. finding a few hidden nuggets to bring across.. it'll take real time to even get his head around them all yet.. though I suppose if that deal was done months ago as suspected, he would already have his eye out.. I guess he wouldnt have gone to any live games given he would be instantly noticeable.

That said maybe his focus is more 1st grade.. who knows.. were all just guessing.. but its fun lol.

Illusion

Bench
I'm really excited for Browny if that one is true.. I really think he will start chipping away at that NSWRL and lower rosters.. wheeling and dealing.. finding a few hidden nuggets to bring across.. it'll take real time to even get his head around them all yet.. though I suppose if that deal was done months ago as suspected, he would already have his eye out.. I guess he wouldnt have gone to any live games given he would be instantly noticeable.

That said maybe his focus is more 1st grade.. who knows.. were all just guessing.. but its fun lol.
Isn't Brownie , related to Doust some way ?